Journey Grey Water Tank or 3rd Water Tank

BrettJess

Dec 30, 2017
Melbourne
Hi all, we are currently looking at upgrading from our Expanda to a 22.68-1 Outback Journey for some extended travels with the family. Currently we have been going through the options and are stuck on whether to get a 3rd water tank (2 adults, 2 toddlers and 2 dogs) or a factory fitted grey water tank. We mostly freecamp so are leaning towards 3rd water tank and doing a DIY grey water, what are others thoughts and designs? Get a Jayco fitted grey water or DIY it and have Jayco do a 3rd water tank?
Thanks

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
We got the grey water tank included - free of charge. Then I converted it back to a 3rd water tank, this was done from new, so it has never seen grey water in it.
family of 4 also, we use 1 x tank per day, free camping.
great van, we love ours

CarlDry

Jan 5, 2019
Bundaberg
.We have 3 water tanks on a 21foot OB with a grey water hung at 90 degrees between the wheels.

On a 3 month WA trip from QLD would probably have mist the grey water more than the fresh water. That being said...the extra water allowed us to use the washing machine on solar at midday. With two toddlers, I'd leave the decision to the better half :)

Weight is the big issue...With an extra full water tank it's another 100kg. We upgraded to 600 kg payload on purchase (I think they will do 150kg above the normal if asked) , but when the washing machine, gas bottles water tanks etc add up we struggle to keep to the limit.

BrettJess

Dec 30, 2017
Melbourne
Thanks for the point about the extra tank and being able to use the washing machine. The wife wants one as well so prob would be better with 3 tanks. Did you get the grey water fits later? Meaning the space between the wheels will still be free with 3 water tanks?

CarlDry

Jan 5, 2019
Bundaberg
I got fitted before arrival but they usually don't use the space between the wheels. I suppose all you can do is ask, and then hope the dealer knows what he is talking about because mine was a bit of an airhead when it comes to knowing what the factory can and can't do with respect to other things.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
hi just came back from the 1/2 loop western qld, western nsw ,south australia ,nt uluru to darwin then return to brisvagas via outback queensland, mostly free camp or community grounds, at no stage did we have trouble getting potable water, we do double filter all water we add to our tanks total 140 litres,but for matters of taste we carry a few 10 litre containers of spring water $4 from supermarkets, this is much cheaper than purchasing jerry cans and filling them with whatever water you can acess, the main downside of carting too much stored water is the cost of fuel to drag it around ,dearest fuel seen this trip $2.30 a litre, for greywater we used a wastemaster tank with an air gap between van and tank so there can never be a back up into van plumbing and a click fitting has been added to waste tank to allow hose connection, if we can onsite drain, this worked for us ,it may not be suitable for you, see you on the road