Green Hill Lake, Ararat (Vic)

msmith24

Mar 14, 2012
Leopold, Victoria
Hi all,
Just looking for some recent reviews of Green Hill Lake camping. I was there quite a few years ago, and back then it was a $5 donation per night and the amenities were reasonable. I've also been led to believe there may be a playground there now? Hoping to go there Australia Day weekend, so any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mat

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
Hi Mat

Green Hill Lake, Ararat is our favourite (or should I say, was our favourite) campspot. You are correct, there is a playground (funded by the campers). It is still a $5 donation per night (handed to the Ranger, who visits you daily) or placed in the collection box at the amenities block.

The water in the lake is now extremely low. No powered boats can be launched on the lake at all. In fact, my son and brother walked through the water to the prison (the other side of the lake), over the Christmas break (the water reached up to their thighs). The water is quite smelly too (with green algae). There was some vandalism at the men's toilets over the break ... shower rose and mirror taken (low life!)

We had two incredibly windy days over the break ... all awnings on the four Jayco Expandas needed to be collapsed ... for fear of damage.

Hope that sheds some light for you.

Reactions: msmith24

msmith24

Mar 14, 2012
Leopold, Victoria
Just a follow up from my first post. We have just returned from our long weekend away to Green Hill Lake. As Four Happy Campers said in their post, the water level is low, approximately 1m at the deepest. I know this has stopped the water skiers from enjoying the lake, however it was fantastic for kayaking and general water play. The kids didn't mind getting a bit muddy at the waters edge! There is also an abundance of birdlife on the lake which was fantastic to see.
We payed the $5 a night donation, which we were more than happy to pay, considering the amenities block, containing hot showers and flushing toilets, were cleaned daily. There are rubbish and recycling bins provided all over the camping areas, as well as fire pits.
The brand new playground is a welcome addition, although, my two oldest kids aged 10 and 12, found it a bit small for their liking!
Considering the lake is only about 5km from Ararat, it is a great spot to camp and a place we will frequent a bit more.

Reactions: cruza driver