Chassis Grease Nipple Sizes?

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Since the van's last service we have only done 1600k. At the service the dealer greased the spring hangers and pins. On the Outback they have grease nipples on all points.

In anticipation of our long trip in July I decided to give them a top up. I have a little grease gun that I used to use on the boat trailer's bearing buddies. I put it on the van's grease nipples and it just pumped around them. Nothing went in. The nipples seem very small? On the boat trailer you could feel the nozzle clamp over the grease nipple. With the van it seems a sloppy fit.

Are there different size grease guns for these van's? If so is there a size gun I should purchase?

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Greace guns are the same but cheap ones don't fit the nipples very well and don't last long. I use grease guns every day and only buy reputable brands.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Also there might be more pressure pushing the grease in compared to bearing buddies or there is a block in the hole where the grease goes in.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You must wipe the nipple first otherwise you could push dirt in and jam the ball.

Some grease guns have an adjustable nozzle, can turn it to fit better. Also unscrew the nipple a bit and poke the ball with a probe as they will jam up sometimes and this will clear it so you can pump in the grease.
If you want to replace them just take one out and go to supercheap and get some, the thread size is the main difference, though you can have small or larger nipples.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Thanks guys, i'm sure the nipples arent blocked. More likely the grease gun spout is just not gripping them, hence grease pumping around them.
Engineers fell free to smut to your hearts content. Some times pearls of wisdom fall from the most unexpected places.

Reactions: Drover and Tone

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Just hold the gun against the nipple with a fair bit of force and it should seal and go in. Also check that the fitting that goes over the nipple hasn't come loose or there is not a bit of sh^t inside

Reactions: Drover