Grandpa Gunna's 17.58.3 OB mods

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I use Clark Rubber foam tiles as they are softer on bare feet and save weight, also really easy to sweep up the dirt.

I have found they will hold a burr to surprise you later.................... essential to remove foot wear before entering......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The burrs would also go into the carpet squares, wouldn’t they?
Correct, we have the foam squares outside the door and a mat inside the door, someone regularly walks inside with footwear on, I follow in bare feet and find the burrs in the mat............... then have to get tweezers out to remove the nasty things from foot and mat, the outside jobs get a going over with a brush on pack up BUT I'm still seriously thinking of carpet squares, might remove them for summer western runs.....

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Correct, we have the foam squares outside the door and a mat inside the door, someone regularly walks inside with footwear on, I follow in bare feet and find the burrs in the mat............... then have to get tweezers out to remove the nasty things from foot and mat, the outside jobs get a going over with a brush on pack up BUT I'm still seriously thinking of carpet squares, might remove them for summer western runs.....
Have done our floors for our winter wander used carpet planks 100 cm by 25 cm flat pile does not hold burrs much , got them as brand new seconds did the whole floor for $40 ($2 a tile) no need to tape them down rubber back does not move on the vinyl floor, have done about 3000 on pretty rough roads and none have moved

Attachments

• D1E2010D-B277-4C1C-A0DF-B07C2B61F6C6.jpeg
    D1E2010D-B277-4C1C-A0DF-B07C2B61F6C6.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 271
  • D5798157-AD93-46F5-B833-4DB3AC1C8117.jpeg
    D5798157-AD93-46F5-B833-4DB3AC1C8117.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: Drover

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Have done our floors for our winter wander used carpet planks 100 cm by 25 cm flat pile does not hold burrs much , got them as brand new seconds did the whole floor for $40 ($2 a tile) no need to tape them down rubber back does not move on the vinyl floor, have done about 3000 on pretty rough roads and none have moved
isn't there some problem about using rubber backed mats on the vinyl floor ?

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
the new tiles have not marked the vinyl,but in over time that could happen, in my case i was flipping the coin to replace the vinyl as it is showing its age,but this year the carpet planks won, and for the price and ease of the carpet planks i could afford to replace them on a regular basis,

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
isn't there some problem about using rubber backed mats on the vinyl floor ?
went back to carpet laying instruction web sites and only reference to laying rubber backed tiles over vinyl was to make sure both tile and vinyl were perfectly dry so no condensation caused moisture which would encourage mould to grow,the only places i would worry about that is outside the ensuite and kitchen sink, but we already have mats there which are backed and then put out to dry if damp

Grandpa Gunna

Dec 29, 2020
Northern Tablelands NSW
Thought I better put a pic up of Tiles.
Diesel heater tik was over tightened zip tie, all fixed now back to original have to strain to hear pump now.
Earlier in the month whilst taking granddaughter to Tamworth for Tafe, made up mind that I'm over roadworks and water carts so added a stone guard to van
Glad we have extended draw bar.

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_143211414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210512_143211414_HDR.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20210523_092616432.jpg
    IMG_20210523_092616432.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 276

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thought I better put a pic up of Tiles.
Diesel heater tik was over tightened zip tie, all fixed now back to original have to strain to hear pump now.
Earlier in the month whilst taking granddaughter to Tamworth for Tafe, made up mind that I'm over roadworks and water carts so added a stone guard to van
Glad we have extended draw bar.
Carpet is a great mod, hey??

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Grandpa Gunna Can i ask you where you got your 220w panels are they the same size as jayco ones and where they pricey ?? I have a 120 or 150 w on the 20 footer may change to 2 220w if its doable ??

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Just remember that claimed solar output/area (in m2)/10 = approx efficiency (in %). Anything approaching 30% is very suspect. My 200w is huge compared to most on ebay.

The typical jayco 140w/(1.2*.67)/10 = 17% which is much closer to the truth

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Just remember that claimed solar output/area (in m2)/10 = approx efficiency (in %). Anything approaching 30% is very suspect. My 200w is huge compared to most on ebay.

The typical jayco 140w/(1.2*.67)/10 = 17% which is much closer to the truth
Absolutely correct @jazzeddie1234 ! Most panels are in the 17- 18% efficiency range, although I have seen a panel rated at 23% (?) , but not your run of the mill type. Anything adverised at higher than 20% would need to be carefully scrutinized. Remember that it is the angle to the light source that is very important and the operating temperature. At panel temp of 50 to 60C, voltage and output can be down by up to 16%. Air gap vital! Also the higher the MPV (max power voltage) the better- at least 18 volts. VOC (voltage open circuit) is also a good guide , should be around 22.5 volts.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Grandpa Gunna

Dec 29, 2020
Northern Tablelands NSW
During our week at the coast we had a hiccup with the girls and their alternating the bunk beds. (both have special needs)
Woke up during one night to find eldest asleep on one lounge, then next night she made up the table bed.
As I don't wont to lose the table full time some major mods are taking place.
Some picks of work in progress.
(All demolished materials have been kept so can return to normal if need to if and when van sold)
IMG_20160912_135159393 (2).jpg
IMG_20210623_090223212.jpg

IMG_20210623_090236033.jpg

Cabinet removed and 2 of the drawers placed under bunk.
Top bunk removed and new bunk to be turned 90 degrees and placed along back wall
New shelving/drawer unit to go under new bunk.
The new bunk is only 1500 long (lost 300mm) however we have been told she has reached her full growth.
this is the same length she comfortably slept on the dinette table bed
on a side note had to move battery 100mm, forgot how heavy agm's are!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
During our week at the coast we had a hiccup with the girls and their alternating the bunk beds. (both have special needs)
Woke up during one night to find eldest asleep on one lounge, then next night she made up the table bed.
As I don't wont to lose the table full time some major mods are taking place.
Some picks of work in progress.
(All demolished materials have been kept so can return to normal if need to if and when van sold)
View attachment 67092View attachment 67093
View attachment 67094
Cabinet removed and 2 of the drawers placed under bunk.
Top bunk removed and new bunk to be turned 90 degrees and placed along back wall
New shelving/drawer unit to go under new bunk.
The new bunk is only 1500 long (lost 300mm) however we have been told she has reached her full growth.
this is the same length she comfortably slept on the dinette table bed
on a side note had to move battery 100mm, forgot how heavy agm's are!

Just as well you are so handy to make these modifications @Grandpa Gunna! Great mods for your girls though.

Grandpa Gunna

Dec 29, 2020
Northern Tablelands NSW
Well things have been progressing slowly, lots of interruptions until the last week final push to finish construction. some minor points to complete, waiting on small basket storage shelves, for behind ladder and TV mount for fridge wall, will be able to swing to watch from lounge as well and curtain track so both bunks have own privacy.

IMG_20210801_164256822.jpg
IMG_20210801_164036943.jpg

It certainly opens up the van that end.

Am now having to research caravanning with a CPAP. yes reading as much as I can from searching forum.
Any input from members would be appreciated. Power for free camping appears to be major issue. Double battery capacity (weight!!) or does lithium now a become option, earlier than expected, with its own extra costs.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Well things have been progressing slowly, lots of interruptions until the last week final push to finish construction. some minor points to complete, waiting on small basket storage shelves, for behind ladder and TV mount for fridge wall, will be able to swing to watch from lounge as well and curtain track so both bunks have own privacy.

View attachment 67280View attachment 67281

Am now having to research caravanning with a CPAP. yes reading as much as I can from searching forum.
Any input from members would be appreciated. Power for free camping appears to be major issue. Double battery capacity (weight!!) or does lithium now a become option, earlier than expected, with its own extra costs.

@Grandpa Gunna , Lithium batteries do provide more recoverable storage with less weight, but you still have to keep them charged. So it is a juggling act to cover all bases. Disregarding the extra costs of changing over to a Lithium and its special requirements, perhaps it is time for you to do some careful calculations on daily usage and charging capability. Allow extra for days when you cannot recover all the amp hours used the day before. IMHO, you need to have at least 2 days' storage at normal use and with no input from charging, before you need to start rationing the power use and praying for more solar harvesting. It is cheaper (initially anyway) to add extra panels and as you already have an efficient MPPT controller, maybe go for greater storage capacity with 2 X AGMs batteries of 130ah or greater.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mate has 2 CPAP machines going when they travel he uses the battery pack for each machine and chargers them during the day, once van batteries charged up he does the batteries via an invertor, he does advise to check out the draw required for your machine as not all are the same, they have various voltage requirements........... though most folk I have talked to about them all say leave the heater off........

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland

View attachment 67280View attachment 67281

Just had another idea @Grandpa Gunna . Have you thought about a BC-DC unit to put more juice into batteries whilst travelling. That would take the load off your necessity to rely solely on solar generation. You could even start up your tug to charge batteries that way in an emergency. Just a thought and still cheaper than changing over to an all Lithium system.