18' Series Goodbye Camper Trailer

Bobert

May 3, 2013
North West Sydney
Hi Everyone

We recently took delivery of a new 18.57.6 Outback ordered at the Sydney caravan and camping show. Like many others we decided to upgrade from our Coromal camper because the quick set-up will enable us to get away more often and do more touring. This forum has been a great research and learning resource.

Had a quick trip down to Narrabeen last week to test everything out and had a great time. We are getting an annexe measured up and I need to install some shelving in the wardrobe – wish I had known it was an option when we ordered it.

There is also some work needed on the towing set-up as this is big step up in weight from our camper. I will be purchasing a WDH this week (HR classic 30” bars) and considering airbags in the rear suspension. I would be interested to learn how other Pajero owners have their vehicle set-up.

Cheers
Rob

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Rob, welcome mate and congrats on the 18....we love ours! Yep the Pajero's definately need some work at the rear to tow vans and i think you"ll find the 18-57-6 has a higher ball weight than the pamphlet says. At the moment I have poly airs and WDH, this still only gives me very little travel in the suspension....I'll be going for a 50mm lift asap. @Bushman seems to have a good setup and i'm sure he can advise also! Enjoy the combination, it suits us to a T....:)

Cheers.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Rob

Well done. Yep get the suspension done. You won't belive how much better it makes the Paj as well. The rear bumpstops will get hammered on std springs even with a WDH. I tried kings and then swapped the fronts out to Lovells and it road great. The rears were Kings progressive rate and handled the van and empty well.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I've discover an alarming trend. There are so any people upgrading from campers, that I'm worried soon I'll lose one of the most entertaining aspects of camping........sitting back with a cool beer and watching the domestic altercations that go hand in hand with camper setup.:argue::brick::boxing:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I've discover an alarming trend. There are so any people upgrading from campers, that I'm worried soon I'll lose one of the most entertaining aspects of camping........sitting back with a cool beer and watching the domestic altercations that go hand in hand with camper setup.:argue::brick::boxing:
Well said, very funny!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Congrats on your purchase.
Hey @Soaring, the domestications must only be when one of them doesn't like camping, or they don't do it enough to get in a routine. I must admit though, we used to get real jealous of people with caravans and their quick setup time after we had worked up a sweat setting up, but that made the cold beer worth while.
That's got to be the rule. No beer until setup is done, or else setup never gets done!

Reactions: Xpandafan

Bobert

May 3, 2013
North West Sydney
Hi Rob, welcome mate and congrats on the 18....we love ours! Yep the Pajero's definately need some work at the rear to tow vans and i think you"ll find the 18-57-6 has a higher ball weight than the pamphlet says. At the moment I have poly airs and WDH, this still only gives me very little travel in the suspension....I'll be going for a 50mm lift asap. @Bushman seems to have a good setup and i'm sure he can advise also! Enjoy the combination, it suits us to a T....:)

Cheers.
Ours was plated at 199kg ball weight and the dealer could not explain why it was 34kg more than the brochure. They have undertaken to get it checked on a weighbridge when it goes in for the first service. I'm booked in for poly airs next week and hopefully with the WDH we will be in good shape.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Congrats rob and family, great taste in van....
As for the Pajero question, most people sell em........ and buy a Toyota....sorry :)
We love the 18'er, you guys will have a ball.

HM :)

natbas

Sep 17, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We are so glad we upgraded from our camper trailer, was so time consuming, I never want to see another bag awning in my life lol
Enjoy your new van!!

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
G'day @Bobert, congrats on the new van. We also have a NT Pajero. You will definatley need a WDH as the ball weight is over 135kg. I have not done anything with the suspension yet, but looking at what to change to as well. We are waiting on our new van to arrive before i decide what to do with springs etc. A few have used Bushskinz stuff (Lovells and Bilsteins) and are happy with it. Don't forget to check to tow vechile section here on the forum, heaps of valuble info in there. There is also the pajero forum that has a few members from here as well that have similar set ups, great to look up for info on suspension set up. We still have our HR WDH that we will use with the new van. Very happy with how the paj towed our 17.56-2OB panda.
Cheers
greynt