Good Morning , Good Afternoon , Good Evening

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My understanding is it's basically anything over 12.5m in length OR 2.8m high.

The vehicles in class A (car rate) have to be less than 2.8m high AND less than 12.5m long.

Here is the definitive information:
https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/sydney-motorways/toll-charges/index.html

cheers
Mike[/QUOTE)

Thats the link I posted, if you read the fine print you will see how they manage to make a car with van into Class B, all in the axles......A dig around the site explains a vehicle towing a trailer is counted as a whole unit.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Plan your trip to miss the Sydney Expressways @Bluey , last month mate drove from Pacific Hwy to Hume and got slugged $46 in tolls....$100 round trip is just BS....over 14mts long and over 2.8mt high gets commercial rate......................................... I think I would come up inland and use the Golden Hwy...
We're off to the NSW mid nth coast Xmas day. The Linkt website proudly boasts a route checker to show idiots like me just how much time ill waste not using the toll roads. Put in Melb to Port Macquarie ... for the $46 toll ill be buying a microscopic 24min over the 13 hour trip. I grab an extra coffee and ill be enjoy an extra 24min of the true delights only Troopy can provide. Ill be avoiding their stinking tollways

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now im on to a skam with a melb etag which i dont have one and carnt get one before we go .......caravans are free here so with your melb etag which can be used all over oz just go the roads how will they charge with no idea what size you are cause my vans not on there system here .... they asked me once in sydney how big my van was is it over 2.8 high no way i said ( but im sure it is) i never coped anything extra Melbournes bad enough for paying for stuff but cheap regos for vans and freeways free for them bloody sydney you pay to use freeways in time stuck in a slow moveing carpark and now we are b doubles realy what do they weigh 80 tonnes ?????? Up against my 6

There's the thing Bluey, its the same company in all 3 states, Transurban but with a Victorian tag a Ute is classed as commercial and gets charged commercial rate on their tollways, my QLD Ute classed as Private got charged car rate, saving many $$ as I belted around Vic, much to my victorian mates disgust, he has changed his toll tag to the QLD one now.......... you don't need to live in the state, my kids in Canberra have had QLD tags for years as the NSW tags 15 yrs ago were a ripp off.............. I think when you drive under the gantry it must trip height/length sensors and charge accordingly as you could never squeeze a truck thru with a car tag, they would get nasty, I got a new tag for my truck once but they gave me one for a work car and the toll mob were most upset with us.

I think you may be stuffed now Bluey since theyv'e obviously changed the system, anyway coming in from the coast doesn't look to be more than about $15 for a northern run, bridge is a flat rate for southern runs .

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Fraser Island from Rainbow Beach, usually have a good view now shrouded in smoke from a fire thats been burning for a fortnight. QPWS usually let them burn out.....The land visible is Innskip, Fraser is amongst the yuck... We were even getting ash on us at the beach.

20191206_135809_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hello from Japan
Decided to go to Japan this year instead of north .
Haven’t seen a ute and only 1 landcruser so not a single van . Just a different lifestyle to us.
View attachment 64289View attachment 64290View attachment 64291
Wow, that Colorado is certainly an impressive tow vehicle.

Do you mind popping down to Toyota City and passing on my appreciation for the Troopy (yes, thats right Toyota City, and before you ask there is no such place as Holden City)

Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Toyota City, thats because they need a workshop that size to handle the recalls, more than Jeep even......Holden Town is in Thailand anyway.

Reactions: 1DayIll and BJM

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We're off to the NSW mid nth coast Xmas day. The Linkt website proudly boasts a route checker to show idiots like me just how much time ill waste not using the toll roads. Put in Melb to Port Macquarie ... for the $46 toll ill be buying a microscopic 24min over the 13 hour trip. I grab an extra coffee and ill be enjoy an extra 24min of the true delights only Troopy can provide. Ill be avoiding their stinking tollways
Update @Bluey, surprise surprise you'll be as shocked (yet delighted) as I was to learn Transurban are just a pack of treacherous lying money-grubbing turds. The measly 24 minutes their convenient Trip Compare promised that we would save from our Xmas journey north at a oneway cost of $37.54 for a 50km toll on the M7 and M2 Motorways turns out on further research to be not quite accurate, in fact it's a colossal fabrication ..... there's been a revelation of stellar proportions.

(on a side issue the M7 and M2 journey is almost exactly 50k so a one-way trip equates to $75.08 per hour .... more than my local GP earns, and they dont even supply the diesel required to use it. Interesting)

According to our good, and more truthful than Transurban, friends on the InterGoogleWeb avoiding the M7 tollway by exiting the Hume at the interchange at the very start of the M7 and ending up at the same Cumberland Hwy intersection as exiting the M2 tollway actually costs an additional 9min, not the grossly over fabricated 24min as exaggerated by Transurban. You're heading off first, let me know how that pans out

Your welcome, you can thank me later

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Strange thing is i have a access acount here in melb an acc with no tag a linkt acc.......... but that dosent work in sydney but after reading there site in sydney i can get a casual acc in sydney a linkt acc with no tag which i can use on any toll road in oz but i allready have one here that dosnt work anywhere else mmmmmmm work that out

Because Melb hates to share anything with Sydney ????????? My grandaughter uses the phone app, she reckons its easier, I reckon easier to loose phone then it all turns to Doo doo.

We don't have any dramas here in QLD, even better if you stay away from Brisbane.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh @Drover its 145 im on the train yea baby !!!!!!!! Heated off 8 hrs for half a day you beauty empty train soooooooo good just workers like me heated off

What a pack of whimps, in an old T Line the cab temp would normally be above 30 and a hot day way up near 50....................... Thats why I drove a nice AirCon Volvo, told them to stick their old dinosaur, in fact once while mine was off line and they wanted me to use the dinosaur I went home as it was too hot, they said they have pick ups I said tell em to put in cold room, so to threats of don't come back tomorrow I still walked out gate they rang later that night to make sure I was coming in as my truck was back.......too bloody hot to work, go home, sit in pool..... it was great to get to the stage where getting the sack didn't matter and I knew they didn't want to loose me......
Now if its too hot I go to the beach, too hot there go to bottle shop cold room and window shop (from the inside)....
You need a new watch @Bluey its only 1.26pm

Reactions: Boots in Action

rags

Bluey, as someone who spent a lifetime driving Sydney, I think if not doing the toll roads I would suggest the blue line is not a bad option. There is a good alternative though, getting of the Hume freeway at the Camden Valley way near Casula, turn onto the old Hume Hwy (A28) and following the A28;route all the way to Carlingford, ( this is otherwise known as the Cumberland Hwy and the Pennant Hills Road. Then turn right at Carlingford down Carlingford Rd then at Epping turn right onto Beecroft Rd, head up and over the railway line and go straight down Epping Rd till you turn onto Delhi Rd at North Ryde.

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I remember a few years back cutting thru Sydney from Canberra to head home up the coast I missed the off ramp for Hornsby, the tag was going like a dinner gong so I belted up an off ramp, well tunnel actually and thought where the hell will this lead, the tortuous years of having to drive thru Sydney paid off came out into the sun into familiar territory, cost a bluddy fortune, if it happened now I would need a loan......... In the city I go into truck mode, "Look out coming thru folks".