Getting my head around power setup....

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
SO following the delivery and exhaustive handover of our new 17.56-2 touring yesterday, i am struggling to get my head around the setting required so i dont run the battery dead inadvertanly.

I have the electric brake system put in and they put an isolator in the engine bay of my car....to be honest im sparky dumb and have little idea of what this will do. Any guidance?

The bloke handing it over showed me through the drifter control panel and mentioned that the top right switch is the battery isolator and its a bit hzy, but i think he said you should have that turned off when travelling or when storing the van?

I would greatly appreciate any explanation you guys could come up with.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
SO following the delivery and exhaustive handover of our new 17.56-2 touring yesterday, i am struggling to get my head around the setting required so i dont run the battery dead inadvertanly.

I have the electric brake system put in and they put an isolator in the engine bay of my car....to be honest im sparky dumb and have little idea of what this will do. Any guidance?

The bloke handing it over showed me through the drifter control panel and mentioned that the top right switch is the battery isolator and its a bit hzy, but i think he said you should have that turned off when travelling or when storing the van?

I would greatly appreciate any explanation you guys could come up with.

Hi Josh, congrats on your new van! Not sure about isolator for brake controller, could it be circuit breaker you mean? As far as the battery isolator switch, it's better left off when not used so your setek doesn't drain your battery over time, also advisable to charge your battery once a month for a day or so. To do this you will need to plug your van into mains power and turn battery switch on, if you don't have the means for this (15amp outlet or amfibian) then remove battery and charge in the shed unless you have solar in your van. If you have a hotwire fitted to your trailer plug then you will get some charge to your van battery from your car if the battery switch is on. Hope I haven't confused you :)

Cheers.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
The isolator in the car was apparently to stop the brake controller/ electric brakes draining my car battery when I stop for lunch somewhere and are still connected up for an hour or two.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
The isolator in the car was apparently to stop the brake controller/ electric brakes draining my car battery when I stop for lunch somewhere and are still connected up for an hour or two.

Hi Josh is it possible the isolator was installed to shut off the power (hotwire) to the van that would make more sense regarding what you have just said. The Brake controller shouldnt need an isolator as it only draws power when you have your foot on the brake

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Josh,

Like CG said it sounds like you may have hotwire fitted so a relay or isolator would make sense. You can check this if you have a meter or test light. Turn on your ignition or start car and pin number 2 (third from left i think) for 7 pin flat plug will be live then turn off ignition and the power to that pin will be off. If you have a 12 pin plug then chances are that one of the big pins (9) will be powering fridge, so in that case relay or isolator could be for that?

Cheers.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Cheers,

That is starting to make a lot more sense now.

So if i am camping and connected to 240volt, and my battery is fully charged, then do i leave the isolator switch on or off? Does it hurt the battery to leave the isolator switch open even if the battery is charged?