Generators - which model and why?

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
1. Guess I'll check with the caravan park if I can use it on an unpowered site. I can understand why they bmight be hesitant and I would only run it to keep the van cool during the day - def. not at night. It would drive me batty if someone else ran it while I was trying to sleep.

2. Sounds like if I do get a Genie I need something larger than the 2Kw so I'll look at the 2.4 models.

3. Thanks for the links of various models - I'll check them out and will try and see/hear them before I buy one. Hard to compare them side by side though...

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Most van parks don't like it but will also not say much unless people complain. If they agree you might also get placed where you won't bother other campers i.e. Alongside the dump point by the bin storage etc etc

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
My 20.64-1 come sin a few weeks with the Coleman Mach 9 LP air con (3.3 KW).

My current generation was a Scorpion 2.5KVA which ran my air con fine, had borrowed a mates EU2 once and it was fine. Problem is the scorpion weights 40kg and to hard for me daily to move around on my coming 6 week trip. 2 weeks ago I bought a Honda EU20i $1599 new weighing 20kg.

Tested it on my parents Air Command unit last weekend, in short it runs fine BUT

EU20i will run Air con fine, BUT turn off the 240v to your hot water system (big bloody kettle). EU2 runs better in ECO mode as will only rev up as the compressor cuts in. It would also run the microwave as well.

But in a few weeks, I’ll tell you first hand

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Thanks for all the feedback - still lots of info to take on boards

HOWEVER

I had a call back from the caravan site on Friday - seems we have managed to secure an upgrade to a powered site so I won't be needing a Gen immediately and have some time to consider options, get show specials, figure out what I really need, etc.

Thanks again

Mark13

Jan 22, 2016
Glenden
I have one of the outback's gennys and can't fault it... $700 for 3.5kva... Slightly louder than a Honda but powers a/, hot water and microwave at the same time without missing a beat... Almost 100 hours on it now and very happy

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
If you are going to use a generator on your caravan do yourself and your loved ones a favour and have the vans RCD replaced with an RVD, RCD's can’t work when you are powering your caravan with a generator but RVD's will.

I brought one and had a electrician fit it for me as soon as I brought a generator for our van, at the end of the day its pretty cheap insurance if something goes wrong, see link below.

http://www.safelec.com.au/product/residual-voltage-device-rvd/

===========================================================
On the RVDSAFE site there are two versions, RVD-EI and RVD-EMR.
Which one should be purchased?
Could someone show a picture of it installed please?

Thanks,

Rick.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
===========================================================
On the RVDSAFE site there are two versions, RVD-EI and RVD-EMR.
Which one should be purchased?
Could someone show a picture of it installed please?

Thanks,

Rick.

Hi @RickB you want the RVD-EMR I had the 16amp one installed, I don't have a pic of mine installed as I am away at work at the moment. You'll need a sparky and it will fit straight into where your current RCD is, it needs to attach to the vans earth system though. When I had mine installed we took the panel of beside the RCD and bingo there was an earth wire to hook it up to.

Last edited:

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
Thanks Axl,
The 20 amp version is the same price as the 16amp one so is there a reason you went for the 16amp one?
Cheers.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi @RickB you want the RVD-EMR I had the 16amp one installed, I don't have a pic of mine installed as I am away at work at the moment. You'll need a sparky and it will fit straight into where your current RCD is, it needs to attach to the vans earth system though. When I had mine installed we took the panel of beside the RCD and bingo there was an earth wire to hook it up to.
Looking at the rvdsafe web site it indicates the RVD works alongside the RCD.

Did yours replace the existing RCD or do you now have both ?