Generator and battery hook up

kyoshofw05

Oct 1, 2011
Hillside 3037
Hi just bought a generator and thinking of doing some free camping. Now if l fit/connect a battery in the van and when l have the generator plugedi in it should charge the battery, dose it natter what kind of battery is fitted.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi just bought a generator and thinking of doing some free camping. Now if l fit/connect a battery in the van and when l have the generator plugedi in it should charge the battery, dose it natter what kind of battery is fitted.

Hi mate, just make sure it's not a lead acid battery and its sealed, I'd just go a 100amp gel battery, it'll set you back about $300.

Cheers.

Reactions: Xpandafan

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi just bought a generator and thinking of doing some free camping. Now if l fit/connect a battery in the van and when l have the generator plugedi in it should charge the battery,

Yes your outback should have everything in place all you will need to do is fit the battery and your setec will charge it when you have 240v connected. check to make sure there are fuses fitted in the inline fuse and in the setec main batt fuse as well.

dose it natter what kind of battery is fitted.

Like Burnsy said any sealed deep cycle battery (AGM or Gel) will do the trick. The battery must be a sealed type, fitting any other type could be very dangerous. If you plan on doing a lot of free camping you may want to get a solar panel as well. Generators are fine but many places will not allow their use and they can be costly to run if all you are doing is charging your battery.

kyoshofw05

Oct 1, 2011
Hillside 3037
Thanks guys, going to try free camping and see how we go and later on buy a solar panel.
Bought the generator so l can run the aircon in the warmer months. A bit late l know :doh:

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Like Boots says get yourself a solar panel for charging battery. You must have a properly secured AGM or Gel Deep Cycle battery, anything less is just too risky. I've seen caravanners using lead acids out there, but they are accidents waiting to happen.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Like Boots says get yourself a solar panel for charging battery. You must have a properly secured AGM or Gel Deep Cycle battery, anything less is just too risky. I've seen caravanners using lead acids out there, but they are accidents waiting to happen.

Hi Expandafan,
At the risk of asking something dumb, why is a lead acid battery wrong? We have a Delcor calcium deep cycle that I kept from our camper trailer that was going to use in our van when we get one. You now have me concerned.

BJ

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hi Expandafan,
At the risk of asking something dumb, why is a lead acid battery wrong? We have a Delcor calcium deep cycle that I kept from our camper trailer that was going to use in our van when we get one. You now have me concerned.

BJ

Bmhdg76 - The other types of batteries apart from AGM and Gell give off poisonous gases.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I was meaning wet cell (flooded) batteries as they really need to be installed in a fully sealed and externally vented enclosure. There's a possible risk of an explosion due to the ignition of the gasses given off (during charging). Also damage risk from any spilled electrolyte or acid. Acid vapour associated with charging may also cause deterioration to some fabrics. The gas vented from battery should be considered a health hazzard as Skippy says. Try a search for "battery types" or words similar on this forum. I seem to recall a few cautionary posts last year.

Reactions: skippy

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
We have a Delcor calcium deep cycle that I kept from our camper trailer that was going to use in our van when we get one. You now have me concerned.

Hi Bj
If the new expandas are still coming with series 2 setecs your calcium battery may not be the ideal choice. See direct quote bellow from setec faq's

" What battery types can I use?
Only use the types listed in the user manual – Warning: use of other types, such as Calcium Lead, NiMH or Lithium, may not charge or may catch fire. "

Calcium batteries usually require higher voltages to bring them to a fully charged state. The setec is not designed to supply those voltages so it is unlikely your calcium battery will ever reach full charge with the setec.

As you already have the battery you have nothing to loose by giving it a go so long as you understand you may have a bit less capacity to play with and probably a slightly reduced overall life of the battery,

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi Boots,
Thanks for that info. I actually have a 25 amp CTek charger that I removed from the camper so was going to install that in for the batt. Am now thinking that maybe the $400 that jayco want for the battery may not be too bad if they are a gel or AGM type.

BJ

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Hi Boots,
Thanks for that info. I actually have a 25 amp CTek charger that I removed from the camper so was going to install that in for the batt. Am now thinking that maybe the $400 that jayco want for the battery may not be too bad if they are a gel or AGM type.

BJ

Yes getting a new battery fitted by jayco might be best and it's weight will be included in with the van. So it won't be part of your payload weight as it would be if you fitted it later.