Gas Heater location

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Does anyone know the rules/regulations regarding gas heater locations in vans? I'm looking at installing a Truma gas heater. Ideally I'd like to put it under the dinette seat where my batteries are located but not real sure if that would be legal.
Thoughts?

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Yeah I know what you're saying Cruza, but the rate I get things done at, I need a 6 month lead time!

Thanks Brad, had seen that thread but hasn't got anything about whether you can install gas heaters in battery compartments.

Reactions: cruza driver

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Yeah I know what you're saying Cruza, but the rate I get things done at, I need a 6 month lead time!

Thanks Brad, had seen that thread but hasn't got anything about whether you can install gas heaters in battery compartments.
I installed a Truma under the seat in our van - don't think it would be a good idea to install near batterie(s) - the hot air outlet duct does get warm - in my case there was no room as I have two batteries in my van - no room for anything else there...
Hope that helps...??!!
Bill

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Thanks Bill, that does help. I've got 2 batteries as well, I've measured it all up and it appears as though it will fit but the heat may not be all that good for the batteries.
How have you found the Truma. Is it sufficient to heat the whole van?

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
done a few gas and diesel heaters (IMO diesel is better) the gas plumber would not let me install it near batteries unless i completely isolated it from them eg.. build a box he also wanted them mounted on fireproof board, he signs the gas certificate so we do what he wants

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Thanks for that Dave, kind of as I thought.

I initially wanted a diesel one, but I can get the Truma one for free so I'm happy go with the gas.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Thanks Bill, that does help. I've got 2 batteries as well, I've measured it all up and it appears as though it will fit but the heat may not be all that good for the batteries.
How have you found the Truma. Is it sufficient to heat the whole van?
Sorry for such a late reply - we found the heater to be very good - used it at Hall's Gap last winter - we were very comfortable - miserable weather outside at the time......will probably fit one to our new van as well.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone know the rules/regulations regarding gas heater locations in vans? I'm looking at installing a Truma gas heater. Ideally I'd like to put it under the dinette seat where my batteries are located but not real sure if that would be legal.
Thoughts?

Ring ESV (Energy Safe Victoria) and ask them.