Gas Fridge Help Needed

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day Everyone,

Well the plan was to be posting about the trip so far (heading Outback NSW / Camerons Corner / Maybe Strezlekie), but instead I need some help / advice.

Pulled into Silverton (20km out of Broken Hill) this arvo, (nice place, great weather), put the fridge onto gas, and noticed the temperature started to rise, and the temp in the top compartment also rising. I could hear the gas burning, all looked good - except a lot of heat coming out of the top vent, and well - none out of the fridge exhaust.

I opened up the bottom fridge vent, and out falls an aluminium tube... Yep the fridge exhaust has broken off.. (What's more, I haven't even taken it off road the sealed road for any more than a few kms)

So the tab on the round tube has broken, Any Thoughts on the best way to secure the tube in place?? Any selastics, tapes, glues that could be used - that will withstand the heat?

Thanks - Glenn

image.jpg

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Is the fridge still secure into the cabinetry? I have heard they can move if not screwed in properly!

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Glen does the tube fit into a sleeve? If so if you could get your hands on a automotive silastic generally you should be able to get a high temp possibly from a service station... If it sleeved is it possible to drill in through the vent and install a screw?

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Fridge looks ok.. The tab that was holding the aluminum tube is only very small, and looks like it was forced into position, ie, hole for the exhaust not cut in the right position, which has led to possible fatigue cracks. The van has only done ~10,000 km (10 Months), so would have expected it to be a little more robust. It's possible minor movement of the fridge with the vibrations has caused it, although with the design of the tube, there is room for movement, i.e. tube is fixed to the wall of the van, and loose fitting around the exhaust at the top.

Either way, I now have to secure the end of the exhaust tip, some how to the aluminum shroud that covers the hole in the picture...

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Glen does the tube fit into a sleeve? If so if you could get your hands on a automotive silastic generally you should be able to get a high temp possibly from a service station... If it sleeved is it possible to drill in through the vent and install a screw?

Unfortunately there is only a few mm of the tube sticking out, so a screw may be an issue. Having said that, I could put a screw through it on the inside, then a right hand bracket join to the the plate, and screw through that also.

The Silastic I think will work (and be the easiest quick fix) - I just have no idea which type would stick to aluminum and withstand the heat. I also contemplated the aluminum flexible tape, but not sure how that will go with the heat.

Thanks for the ideas - now to see what I can find in Broken Hill, well tomorrow anyway.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
The silastic tube will have a temp rating written on the tube as you can get silastic to withstand 300 degrees + if that is your easiest option. Silastic once dry will handle the vibration. And all silastic will stick to aluminum just put a good amount on and worry about it when you get home. Good luck Glenn.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Hey mate. There is a tape you could use. It is called "Rescue Tape". http://www.rescuetapeaustralia.com.au/ it will withstand 260 degrees c. It is a self fusing permanent seal waterproof and air tight tape. Has been known to be used as a make shift timing belt too. Magic tape. Only thing, I'm not sure where you could get it out that way?

Thanks Antman.. Time to google what Broken Hill has.. At least I'll get some for the next trip!!!

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
The silastic tube will have a temp rating written on the tube as you can get silastic to withstand 300 degrees + if that is your easiest option. Silastic once dry will handle the vibration. And all silastic will stick to aluminum just put a good amount on and worry about it when you get home. Good luck Glenn.

Thanks for the advise... Silastic shopping in Broken hill tomorrow..

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Just a thought shadow, would a hose clamp tightened around the tube be of any use? Maybe you could use the tail as the tab and drill hole through for screw? Not sure of the setup!

Cheers.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Would a coke can, snips and some wormdrive clips be useful to extend it. That aluminium flexible tape is good also.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I bought a small tube of Permatex Ultra copper High Temp Silicone from our local Autopro Store which I used to seal a joint from the pipe to the muffler on my Motorbike, so maybe try an auto parts store instead of the local hardware

Hope this helps

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
When I had a race care we used to seal the extractors to the main exhaust pipe with house hold variety bathroom silicones.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Repair #1 for the trip complete. I used some Loctite Gasket Silicon, which is good to 300deg, so should be fine for the heat. Seems to have cured ok, flexible & holding in place. I found some silicon rescue tape at a hardware store, & stashed just in case. Heading out of Broken Hill today, heading towards Cameron's Corner, (after a visit to the Silverton mine)

Thanks for all the advice - I guess another issue for owners to be on the lookout for.

Cheers, Glenn.