Gas bottle storage

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
I am thinking of buying a Weber Q

I do not have a gas bayonet fitted, and are considering just carrying a small gas bottle to connect to the Weber.

I have a hilux with a sportslid and wonder if it is A) legal to carry and B) safe to do so?

Or would it be easier to get someone to mod the lines to get a goas bayonet fitted.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Good question, I'll be watching this thread too as I don't have a bayonet on our Expanda either.

Personally I can't see a problem as I wouldn't say the lid is air tight but not sure on legalities. There would be plenty of people travelling around with a bottle in there boots.

Just make sure the bottle is tied in, I travel with a 9kg in an old milk crate, its a perfect fit and easy to secure.

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
Your not allowed to carry more than 1 gas bottle in a vehicle, and nothing greater than 9kg. Not sure how a ute is treated. I'm about to add another gas bottle to the front of my van with two bayonets, one front, one midway, to save carting smaller gas bottles for the BBQ.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just use a small (4kg'ish) bottle for the BabyQ. It fits in the hatch and sits in a plastic gas bottle stabilizer I got from Masters. I seal the outet with a screw in plastic plug. Can then set the BBQ up anywhere.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Josh not sure where you are - but in QLD the following applies.

A 9kg cylinder can only be transported in an ‘enclosed’ vehicle for the purposes of getting the cylinder refilled (or exchanged). In addition no more than two cylinders may be transported at the one time (in an ‘enclosed vehicle’).

A ute tray without a hard lid is a an open vehicle but with the hard lid or canopy… it’s a grey area as it could be classed as an ‘enclosed vehicle’ . When carrying gases in large quantities trucks must have a certain percentage of the tray ‘open’ - i.e. no sides and/or roof… blah blah blah...

Run with a 4.5kg bottle (or two max) and you’ll have no dramas storing them in the tray with a hard lid or canopy or even inside the cabin if you desire… Just make sure it’s properly secured in the upright position (NEVER lay them down), check that all valves are closed (and not leaking) and put a screw-in plug in the outlet before heading off.

I have a bayonet at the rear of the van it's so much easier and one less item to carry and refill... I will eventually plumb in one at the front too.

For More Information Google you Gas Inspectorate in your state as they will have safety info readily available.

“Safety with LP gas cylinders” brochure on DME website http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/mines/gas_safety_1.cfm

Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Regulation 2004 http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/mines/legislation_1.cfm