Gas Bottle requirements for Caravans.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I had heard that the number stamped on the gas bottle actually means something. I never really worried about it. I was even going to buy a cheap spare bottle. I had read that I need a No2 bottle for Caravan use and all the cheapies are 4's, just good for the back yard. Anyway I thought this info' might be helpful.

Quote: "In Australian Standard AS 2469 - 2005, the categories which are stamped (numbers 1 to 4) in a circle on the top of the cowall surrounding the valve assembly on gas bottles are as follows:

1 Hot Dip Galvanizing

2 Abrasive blasted + inorganic zinc rich coating + organic zinc rich coating.

3 Sprayed Zinc Coating

4 Red oxide or polyester powder coat.

The numbers refer to the rust proofing treatment of the steel, not the thickness of the steel. Obviously, the thickness of the treatment will vary eg hot dip galvanising is thicker than powder coating. So, when exchanging gas bottles, the number 1 in the circle should be preferred. The number 2 bottles should be the minimal treatment for caravan usage. The number 3 and the powder coated type with number 4 in the circle should be restricted to home use.

Each gas bottle is date stamped for a period of ten years, and cannot be filled outside of that date without being refurbished and inspected and stmaped for a further ten year period, regardless of the amount of use it has had."
Source: http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com/gas.htm

On the weekend before going away, I realized we needed a bottle. I did not want to change my Jayco/Manchester bottle, so I took down a crappy one I had to the servo. Hunted around and found 2,3 & plenty of 4's. I looked for a Manchester brand so it would fit the holder, tip I learnt was the washer on top of the valve says Manchester, saves pulling them out. Anyway I found one exactly the same as Jayco use, so it fitted perfectly and it was a No2. Bonus I have a good spare they are not getting back!

Anyway I dont know if the info is current but it seems to make sense.

gas_bottle_code_1.jpg

Cheers Geoff

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Now my brain is hurting. Thanks for the info...something else I didn't know about, but it probably does explain price variations. I'll check my white and silver collection and swap or refill as appropriate. I also use the green plastic coated ones at the beach to do my bit for the environment.

Spot

Oct 16, 2012
Capalaba, Brisbane
Thanks maccayak, this info’s not wasted on me I enjoyed leaning about gas bottle surface treatment as I had little knowledge of the number stamping until now. cheers

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
All 4's would you believe! With the trend to convenience and swapping rather than refilling, I guess that's what happens.
Now to try and track down some 2's and look for the Manchester brand.
At least my Swap'n'Go Green ​bottles exchange like for like.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
In the UK they have a fibreglass re inforced bottle with clear centre so you can see the liquid and they weigh half as much as the equivalent steel ones. I wonder how long until we get them here.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
In the UK they have a fibreglass re inforced bottle with clear centre so you can see the liquid and they weigh half as much as the equivalent steel ones. I wonder how long until we get them here.
My green bottles are halfway there but uptake has been very slow. They're lighter, easier to carry, and have valve that only works when properly connected -turn on the tap when not connected and no gas escapes. No viewing window though, they have an thin inner steel tank I think. Found my standard bottles leak very slightly over time when stored.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Interesting thanks for the info, I knew about the 10 year thing but not the other, my BBQ Bottle is Manchester same as the van but it's out of date this year.

the powder coating/rust proofing on the Panda bottles must be crap they are only 2 years old and have signs of surface rust on cowling around valve and where the valve screws in, and bottles have gone dull, guess thats the trouble when there're exposed to the weather.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
thanks for that.
But I don't understand why #2 is a preferred for a caravan. the coating doesn't offer any different strengthening does it - it's just a rust coating? Thus just longevity of the bottle, which if you are swapping regularly enough (every 9 years at least) shouldn't be an issue?

I just took a look at the three bottles I have here, one from jayco, and quick changes overs from KwikGas and Swap'n'Go - all #2 Manchester

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Spotted one on eBay today at $200 plus postage (from Brisbane)! Called "composite lpg gas cylinder" Might be waiting quite a while, I reckon.