Electrical Fuses, a good read....

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Came across this article in an online blog, its actually very good advice about the Why's and Where's regarding fuses in your vehicle so even if you think your clued up about it, have a read anyway.

https://magazine.unsealed4x4.com.au/en_US/16833/241106/don't_let_your_4x4_burn_to_the_ground.html

Thanks for the article @Drover. Although nothing new to me, it does provide a gentle reminder of what things can go wrong if not done properly. Always work on "the worst case scenario" for real peace of mind on electrical work, even 12 volt stuff. I note on another electrical reference that with today's electronics in motor vehicles, they advise making all negative cables from accessories should be connected to the vehicle chassis and NOT the battery negative! Apparently it has something to do with the electronic sensing for alternator charging and on-board computers managing vehicle operations. Your article should be compulsory reading for all those new to vehicle electrics IMO!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks for the article @Drover. Although nothing new to me, it does provide a gentle reminder of what things can go wrong if not done properly. Always work on "the worst case scenario" for real peace of mind on electrical work, even 12 volt stuff. I note on another electrical reference that with today's electronics in motor vehicles, they advise making all negative cables from accessories should be connected to the vehicle chassis and NOT the battery negative! Apparently it has something to do with the electronic sensing for alternator charging and on-board computers managing vehicle operations. Your article should be compulsory reading for all those new to vehicle electrics IMO!!

I had also heard of that neg to body advice and a year or so ago came across an example in my mates Ranger, a well known outfitters had wired his Redarc charging system up and he had all manner of problems with batteries and stuff until a sparky he got to check rewired his stuff up with the earth to the body for that same reason, the couple of vehicles I have fitted stuff too I did it correctly it seems, it was just luck as I earthed to body at the earthing point for the engine/battery not the battery itself and that was done for ease of fitting.....