Fridge questions/opinions

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, after reading Drizzlingje thread and responses I have some questions and didn't want to change the topic. I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere but does the fridge fans make a difference to the temp in fridge? Also does it make a difference to the fridge if the fridge is on the annexe side which would get more shade?

I have also heard that with fridges in general they are better off full than empty as far as temperature goes and I tend to agree on this from past observation. We have ordered the 186 fridge/freezer in our 18' so as I can get my waeco (beer fridge) back, if anyone else has the same size how do you find it? Does a bigger fridge mean that it doesn't cool as well? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers
Burnsy.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Burnsy

As I just posted in the other thread we have te 150ltre also on the Left under the awning it does have a fan but we've never had an issue with it, in fact just the opposite, have to stop it freezing in the main compartment. after inital cooling at home (starting on 4) as per instructions) when arrive at site usually have to turns down to around 2 on power or gas.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I've got the large fridge in my 17 footer and it works a treat.
Gets a little too cold sometimes.
No fan attached to mine.
I have never had any problems with these type of fridges.

Cheers

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Ours is the Same as Bushman's needs to run on 2-3 or else everything freezes up, although it is the smaller fridge, but in saying that we haven't used it in extremely hot conditions

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Burnsy

I remember this being on an older thread that a fridge fan is required where the outside temps get hot to extreme. Otherwise the fridge struggles to maintain temperature.

It's all about the heat transfer and the lower the temperature is outside, the more efficient the fridge will work.

Hope that helps...

Cheers

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I discussed the fans with the Dometic rep at the Rosehill show. Can't remember his name but the guy knee Dometic fridges inside out. He said most fridge problems were installation related and that included Jayco. With the fan he said as above really only needed for extended tropics use. He also said that if you are going to use a fridge fan it must be a thermostaically controlled fan or otherwise it will effect the performance of the fridge on the opposite end of the scale ( makes sense fans in home fridges only work as needed).

Also iirc there is no thermostat working when on 12 volt so the setting when travelling means nothing to the temperature.

So far we are as above the fridge has worked well for us on gas and 240v.