Fridge Question

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
A friend of mine has been telling me not to get the gas fridge in the Jayco, he says I should get a 12V compressor fridge. I know the Dometic is 12V but it does not have a compressor. I will not be free camping so power will not be an issue. Has anyone put a Waeco or Nova Kool fridge in and can you even option to have the fridge deleted from the package. Any info would be appreciated. It's more the older guys I work with who have their $60K vans telling me this stuff, I am just learning.

Edit. A bit of research later and it seems there is a Waeco factory upgrade? Is that correct?

Geoff

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hey Geoff,
I was a bit scared about getting a gas fridge after all the issues about cooling that I have heard about. But we live in Central Queensland and it works a treat! have frozen stuff in the freezer section, and have NEVER had an issue with it what so ever. We also have a compressor fridge, then you have to worry about solar and batteries more when free camping. Also we don't have the fan option and we have to run our fridge on 4 or 5 other wise its starts to freeze everything. I highly recommend it!! Good Luck!!

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I have used gas fridges for years in a few different vans and have never had any problems.
Every one I know also use gas type fridges and are happy with their performance.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Geoff.

I`ve had three different vans over the past 12 years and all have had three way fridges. {12V, 240V & LPG}. In each van I have found the fridges work great on gas and 240V. I think the fridges actually seem to work best on gas. 12 Volt has always kept the fridge cool traveling between spots.

I think I`ll always go for the 3 way fridge.

The compressor fridges are good too, but keep in mind that you`ll probably have to have a much bigger battery pack, additional solar panels, maybe even a generator as well, for those times when there`s not a great deal of sun out.

I think having a 3 way fridge with 2 x 9kg gas bottles would be my pick.

It`ll do everything you need it to.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I am more than impressed with the 3 way in the new expanda I was expecting to have to keep it wound up to max to keep anything cool like the old one I had in the wind up jay lark but had to turn it down to 3 -4 to stop everything freezing up in the fridge !

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
A friend of mine brought along a portable compresser fridge once on a fishing trip where we stayed in a park cabin. Because of the light weight flooring the noise of the thing drove us crazy as it kicked in every 10 minutes. A caravan installation may be noisy as well, i would want to hear one running of a night before i put one in. The 3 ways are totally silent and mine works great. As did the the older model in my Dove except in extreme heat where i had to run it on gas.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Having had a gas\240\12 in the swan and also decided to stick to this in the Expanda we ordered mostly because we free camp a bit and therefore dont have to worry about batteries.

With that said, if all or most of my camping was going to be where power was available then i would think twice about putting the weaco in, they are heaps better in terms of getting cold quicker and staying that way with doors opening closing etc. and use also get more space in the same size fridge because you dont have the bulky colling fins like you do in the heat exchanger (3 way) type fridges.

We hired a motorhome in NZ for two weeks and it had the weaco 12v compressor fridge, put in on when we left the hire place and it was cold by the time we had bought the groceries, say 1 hour later, with your gas fridge you will need at least 24hours for it to cool down. Also didnt ever notice even a whisper from it.

Not knocking the gas fridges, i love them and as said i have opted second time round for one,,,, Just saying if it were all powered sites then it would be no question for me - 12v compressor all the way

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
A friend of mine brought along a portable compresser fridge once on a fishing trip where we stayed in a park cabin. Because of the light weight flooring the noise of the thing drove us crazy as it kicked in every 10 minutes. A caravan installation may be noisy as well, i would want to hear one running of a night before i put one in. The 3 ways are totally silent and mine works great. As did the the older model in my Dove except in extreme heat where i had to run it on gas.

A friend of mine also just raised that exact point which I did not even think about. Good point.

Geoff