Fridge Problem

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
the fridge works very well on dc providing the cable from your can is large. i use a 4 gauge cable from the battery in the car to the connection at the van. the dc fridge draws over 35 amps. which is a lot of power and if the right cable is not used, the fridge will not work correctly.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
the fridges work best on gas as ppl have said, then 240 and finally 12v. Gas and AC are thermo controlled and 12v just runs flat out. They cool the freezer first and then the residual heat? is used to cool the fridge area, so pack the freezer with frozen stuff before your trip and the fridge will cool quicker. A small fan on the top vent sucking air out will work wonders for their operation

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi
the fridges work best on gas as ppl have said, then 240 and finally 12v. Gas and AC are thermo controlled and 12v just runs flat out. They cool the freezer first and then the residual heat? is used to cool the fridge area, so pack the freezer with frozen stuff before your trip and the fridge will cool quicker. A small fan on the top vent sucking air out will work wonders for their operation
Sorry DaveS but I have to disagree, 12VDC is just as good if the correct size cable is used between the tow vehicle and the fridge, it has to be BIG to minimise the voltage drop and carry the required current.

Dave

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Sorry DaveS but I have to disagree, 12VDC is just as good if the correct size cable is used between the tow vehicle and the fridge, it has to be BIG to minimise the voltage drop and carry the required current.

Dave

what i was saying is the 12v runs flatout as in not thru the thermo, and if it is as good why isn't it thermo controlled?
you can put in as big a cable as you like but it's not going to get over it's max rated watts and thats what limits it's cooling (heating) capacity, mind you the big cables will help but won't make it work better than designed, you just limit the volt drop as you said.
a smallish fridge has a element of about 120 - 200 watts. A large model over 300.
so a big cable will certainly help a large fridge, but a smaller one is not going to gain a lot.
we always oversize the cable and use andersons where possible to limit the drop, but depends on what the customer wants or has on his tug so the old 12 pin can be a bottleneck as well.

one other thing for everyone listening .... don't be tempted to put a bigger element in (as in higher watt) it might work .... it might also catch fire. bigger ones are usually longer, so they have no contact on a fitting designed for a small element to transfer the heat so will burn out quicker or burn everything completely :)

cheers Dave

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
Interesting thread, what size cable does the jayco come "standard with". I have a 7pin flat on the tug as was told to get the 12 pin to run the 12v for the fridge. Can you option a bigger cable? say 8 B S which is i think 10mm2 through an anderson plug or is that an at home job to do. I am currently designing the dual battery system for my ute which will be in the tray with a CTEK dc to dc, so the run to the anderson plug on the towbar from the battery will only be 1m at most then whatever it is to the fridge. Rather get it right the first time than chase around an under performing fridge (150l) Also does this 12v cable just run straight to the fridge? or does it charge the in house battery as well.

cheers
matt

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
not sure if you can option the wiring, they used to be a choice now i think it's all 12pins (I don't sell em, so i could be wrong ... only fix the buggers)
new jayco's use about 6mm automotive twin (pink and white) for the fridge wired to the large pins on the 12pin (usually with some strands cut off to fit in the pin socket!), we often get customers asking for them to be on a anderson instead, so usually pull the fridge cables out of the loom back to the a frame and then put a protective shield over the wires and solder a anderson on the end. These wires are only used for the fridge, there is also a aux in the 7 pin for the charging etc. we also get customers who want them changed to round or flat 7pin so have to connect fridge to aux circuit for them, and warn them about potential problems.

some of the newer fridges (AES etc) need a additional 12v supply for the electronics, this comes off the house battery, could be from the ctek could be the battery i've seen em wired both ways, some fused some not
some with compressor fridges (weaco etc) run off the house battery, so we make sure they have a decent cable to keep that charged up

play it safe and put 8mm auto in and you should have no dramas, keep the fridge separate from the aux, cause if the house battery is down you are going to get a drop off going to the fridge if wired together and the ctek wants all the electrickery

on a non jayco (or older model) we usually just run twin straight to the fridge from a anderson, sometimes it means messing around with the wiring a bit to make sure everything still works as it should. and also make sure that the power doesn't flow from house battery to the plug. i.e. it only goes one direction

sometimes it's a real pain as a customer brought a roll of black wire and re-wired the van .... everything is one colour (groan) and so we need to trace each circuit :) lost a lot of brain cells scratching my head over those

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
what i was saying is the 12v runs flatout as in not thru the thermo, and if it is as good why isn't it thermo controlled?
you can put in as big a cable as you like but it's not going to get over it's max rated watts and thats what limits it's cooling (heating) capacity, mind you the big cables will help but won't make it work better than designed, you just limit the volt drop as you said.
a smallish fridge has a element of about 120 - 200 watts. A large model over 300.
so a big cable will certainly help a large fridge, but a smaller one is not going to gain a lot.
we always oversize the cable and use andersons where possible to limit the drop, but depends on what the customer wants or has on his tug so the old 12 pin can be a bottleneck as well.

one other thing for everyone listening .... don't be tempted to put a bigger element in (as in higher watt) it might work .... it might also catch fire. bigger ones are usually longer, so they have no contact on a fitting designed for a small element to transfer the heat so will burn out quicker or burn everything completely :)

cheers Dave
DaveS,
I see no problem with the fridge running "flatout" on 12V after all it was never meant to be a primary power source for 3 -way refrigeration, the 240Vac and gas are for that function. The 12V was always meant to be an alternative source whilst travelling and once you arrive at your destination manufacturers all say to switch over to either ac or gas operation simply due to the high current draw of the fridge, as to why manufacturers don't put a thermostat in the dc circuit I can only speculate that it is to do with either cost or simplicity of the system, i.e KISS (keep it simple stupid).

I can only go off my experience in the past with Finch 3-way Fridges, Chescold 3-way Fridges, Waeco 3-way fridges and now Dometic 3-way Fridges and say that they have all worked exceptionally well, the Dometic in the van has just been up the centre to Darwin, Litchfield, Kakadu, the Daintree and all points in between and kept the ice cream frozen and the beers icy cold for when we pulled up after each days driving, some days in +40°C heat. And lets face it if the cars running an extra few amps from the alternator is hardly going to add to the fuel bill, whereas continuous operation on ac or gas is either going to drive up your electricity bill if at home or deplete your gas bottle if your in the bush.

As far as cable size goes that's so you can get the best out of the fridge, once you can get that heater operating at its rated capacity then the cooling / absorption system will be able to operate at peak efficiency thus providing maximum cooling effect, that's all I was saying, sorry but I wasn't meaning to appear to be critical of what you were saying.

Dave

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Interesting thread, what size cable does the jayco come "standard with". I have a 7pin flat on the tug as was told to get the 12 pin to run the 12v for the fridge. Can you option a bigger cable? say 8 B S which is i think 10mm2 through an anderson plug or is that an at home job to do. I am currently designing the dual battery system for my ute which will be in the tray with a CTEK dc to dc, so the run to the anderson plug on the towbar from the battery will only be 1m at most then whatever it is to the fridge. Rather get it right the first time than chase around an under performing fridge (150l) Also does this 12v cable just run straight to the fridge? or does it charge the in house battery as well.

cheers
matt
This is taken from an article by Collyn Rivers from the Campertrailers.org web site,

Auto Cable – a Trap!

Unfortunately there’s a huge trap. Automobile cable is commonly sold using a rating system that appears to correspond (but doesn’t) with appliance manufacturers’ cabling recommendations. Nor does it, nor indeed can it, correspond with other cable size standards.
Auto cable is that cable invariably sold by auto parts stores, auto-electricians and many hardware stores. This cable is rated in terms of its outside diameter – insulation and all. In other words all that measurement tells you is the size hole it can be passed through!
But most appliance manufacturers and virtually all electrical trades specify cable either directly in terms of the cross-sectional area (in sq.mm) of its copper conductor - or by a numbering system (such as AWG) that relates to conductor area.
A typically recommended cable size is 2.5 mm.sq. Generally, the appliance maker will spell this out in full (eg. 2.5 sq.mm) – but not invariably. You can however be certain that if the appliance maker talks about 2.5 mm cable they refer to 2.5 sq mm cross-sectional area.
But when a buyer fronts up to the parts store and asks for the specified 2.50 mm cable what he will almost certainly be sold is not 2.50 mm.sq. cable, but 3.00 mm diameter auto cable (the closest made to 2.5 sq mm). A 3.0 mm diameter auto cable’s conductor area however is typically a tad over 1.0 sq mm – about one third of the required size
If such cable is used for example for fridge wiring, the voltage drop across it will be close to three times that specified as the maximum by the appliance maker!
Unless that cable is exceptionally short, that fridge, which may be a top brand in perfect working order, will never work satisfactorily. This is the main reason why so many 12-volt fridges disappoint, and why trailer batteries are often grossly undercharged. Yet countless (in my experience, most) trailers and motorhomes are, at least in part, wired this way! And that includes professional installations.

A Better Way

As mentioned previously is also very easy to work out the voltage drop for any given length of cable, current flow, and cable size. I always use this rather than published tables (including my own) because once remembered it’s so easy to do – and it gives the right answer every time. The formula is simply:
Voltage drop equals (cable length (in metres) X current (in amps) X 0.017) divided by cable cross-section in mm.sq.
For example: 10 metres X 5 amps X 0.017 = 0.85. Divided by (say) 2.5 (sq mm), the voltage drop is 0.34 volt. This is just acceptable – but (here) 4.0 sq mm would be even better. That results in a drop of 0.212 volts.
Cable size tables and the above formula is for the voltage drop across a single conductor path. Where, as is common with trailers, there’s twin conductors (one positive, one negative) the total conductor length must be taken into account. In other words, if there’s a five metre run using twin cable, that’s 10 metres to be taken into account.

Hope this helps

Dave

Last edited:

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
On a recent trip to the Eyre Peninsula I had some trouble with my fridge not cooling very well at all. It was pretty hot but both on 240v and gas it didn't perform as well as it used to. I assumed it was because I have been going on gravel roads and it got shaked up? Is that reasonable? Am thinking it may be time for a service.

I am also thinking of running the 12v to the fridge from my 20amp solar controller in the van (200 watt panel on roof). It has a voltage drop function where it will protect the battery from getting completely drained. Short cable is always good but will the 20amp controller handle it? I'll then run a larger cable from the Anderson on the back of the car direct to the battery in the van. This will charge the house battery when driving and also give me an external point to plug in the folding solar panel.

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
not sure if you can option the wiring, they used to be a choice now i think it's all 12pins (I don't sell em, so i could be wrong ... only fix the buggers)
new jayco's use about 6mm automotive twin (pink and white) for the fridge wired to the large pins on the 12pin (usually with some strands cut off to fit in the pin socket!), we often get customers asking for them to be on a anderson instead, so usually pull the fridge cables out of the loom back to the a frame and then put a protective shield over the wires and solder a anderson on the end. These wires are only used for the fridge, there is also a aux in the 7 pin for the charging etc. we also get customers who want them changed to round or flat 7pin so have to connect fridge to aux circuit for them, and warn them about potential problems.

some of the newer fridges (AES etc) need a additional 12v supply for the electronics, this comes off the house battery, could be from the ctek could be the battery i've seen em wired both ways, some fused some not
some with compressor fridges (weaco etc) run off the house battery, so we make sure they have a decent cable to keep that charged up

play it safe and put 8mm auto in and you should have no dramas, keep the fridge separate from the aux, cause if the house battery is down you are going to get a drop off going to the fridge if wired together and the ctek wants all the electrickery

on a non jayco (or older model) we usually just run twin straight to the fridge from a anderson, sometimes it means messing around with the wiring a bit to make sure everything still works as it should. and also make sure that the power doesn't flow from house battery to the plug. i.e. it only goes one direction

sometimes it's a real pain as a customer brought a roll of black wire and re-wired the van .... everything is one colour (groan) and so we need to trace each circuit :) lost a lot of brain cells scratching my head over those

Thanks for the info, once we get the van I might see if I can upgrade the wires to the fridge if I start having issues. Do you think I will have issues running the fridge and my waeco which will be in the back of my ute. Think I read somewhere that the fridge draws anything up to 25amp, the waeco is 8ish on full draw. The ctek 250 dc to dc is a 20 amp, and will be getting a 130 amp agm battery. So by those figures I will be going backwards while driving, though once down the fridges won't be drawing those sort of amps. I will also be installing a 240v charger with the battery to top up overnight at parks to help out. Sorry for all the questions, just rather get the system right the first time round.

Cheers
Matt

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
This is taken from an article by Collyn Rivers from the Campertrailers.org web site,

Auto Cable – a Trap!

Unfortunately there’s a huge trap. Automobile cable is commonly sold using a rating system that appears to correspond (but doesn’t) with appliance manufacturers’ cabling recommendations. Nor does it, nor indeed can it, correspond with other cable size standards.
Auto cable is that cable invariably sold by auto parts stores, auto-electricians and many hardware stores. This cable is rated in terms of its outside diameter – insulation and all. In other words all that measurement tells you is the size hole it can be passed through!
But most appliance manufacturers and virtually all electrical trades specify cable either directly in terms of the cross-sectional area (in sq.mm) of its copper conductor - or by a numbering system (such as AWG) that relates to conductor area.
A typically recommended cable size is 2.5 mm.sq. Generally, the appliance maker will spell this out in full (eg. 2.5 sq.mm) – but not invariably. You can however be certain that if the appliance maker talks about 2.5 mm cable they refer to 2.5 sq mm cross-sectional area.
But when a buyer fronts up to the parts store and asks for the specified 2.50 mm cable what he will almost certainly be sold is not 2.50 mm.sq. cable, but 3.00 mm diameter auto cable (the closest made to 2.5 sq mm). A 3.0 mm diameter auto cable’s conductor area however is typically a tad over 1.0 sq mm – about one third of the required size
If such cable is used for example for fridge wiring, the voltage drop across it will be close to three times that specified as the maximum by the appliance maker!
Unless that cable is exceptionally short, that fridge, which may be a top brand in perfect working order, will never work satisfactorily. This is the main reason why so many 12-volt fridges disappoint, and why trailer batteries are often grossly undercharged. Yet countless (in my experience, most) trailers and motorhomes are, at least in part, wired this way! And that includes professional installations.

A Better Way

As mentioned previously is also very easy to work out the voltage drop for any given length of cable, current flow, and cable size. I always use this rather than published tables (including my own) because once remembered it’s so easy to do – and it gives the right answer every time. The formula is simply:
Voltage drop equals (cable length (in metres) X current (in amps) X 0.017) divided by cable cross-section in mm.sq.
For example: 10 metres X 5 amps X 0.017 = 0.85. Divided by (say) 2.5 (sq mm), the voltage drop is 0.34 volt. This is just acceptable – but (here) 4.0 sq mm would be even better. That results in a drop of 0.212 volts.
Cable size tables and the above formula is for the voltage drop across a single conductor path. Where, as is common with trailers, there’s twin conductors (one positive, one negative) the total conductor length must be taken into account. In other words, if there’s a five metre run using twin cable, that’s 10 metres to be taken into account.

Hope this helps

Dave

Yeah it does, can get a bit confusing between mm mm2, AWG, gauge.....oh and B & S