18' Series Fridge on 240 vs 12v

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thank god I'm not getting smarts, I'm just a turn it on and it better work sort of bloke, figuring why makes my head spin............

I have worked out that the so called myth of fridge operation on 12v when travelling is because most fridges are fitted out by he builders, therefore even if lucky enough to have it installed correctly the wiring is usually rubbish, remember the infamous Jayco Birds Nest of wires, no explanation should be needed.. So not really a Myth as it does happen, (not to mention the lunch stop with kids and the fridge door kept open for 30mins)..... My old fridge in 36 or 38 degs between Winton and Julia Creek had a 12v fault (forgot to turn it on) it lost 3 degs over that time, this being after I fitted it out properly so its generally not the fridge but the fitting out, if I hadn't sorted it out things would have been different, while I have not fiddled with a lot with compressor jobs the few I have looked at have suffered from the same pith poor fit out.

You do not have to have too much of the "Smarts" to be successful @Drover . As you have stated before , common "dog sense" can solve most problems.
I could not agree more on your comments about builders fitting fridges. None of them appear to follow the makers instructions! And as for wiring, that is too much like hard work (nd cost) modifying the tug's system, as the tug's wiring is usually not set up for carrying heavy current to van without voltage drop.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not so much of a correction. I have great faith in your (and Mikes) knowledge with this stuff, and get a bit panicky when I think my answer to the same question, that I was so confident in moments before, is now so way off. The challenge to ask without coming across as smart ar$e, sometimes that fails. My calculation method for Amps consumed in an inverter conversion is the wattage of the 240v appliance divided by 10. ie 1000w 240v microwave, 100amp from the battery. Much like your removing the last digit, but my cleverly designed formula takes into account actual Amps required, the energy consumed by the inverter in conversion, and then I apply a secret coefficient to make the answer 10, because I like 10 and its very easy to remember.

Now you make me seem like a cheat, I pull up my conversion program tap in the details and it tells me the answer then apply my own 30% rule, being I want 30% in reserve for anything I use, engines, electrical gizmos and so forth, no sense in running at near max......

You do not have to have too much of the "Smarts" to be successful @Drover . As you have stated before , common "dog sense" can solve most problems.

Thank you @Boots in Action as a Dumb Truckie I can only try to instill brilliance in others............... give me a plan and I'll build it, just don't get me to drive the pencil.