Interior Fridge gas smell

Fallen

Feb 7, 2019
WA
Hi all. I've got a 2015 expanda with a Dometic RM4601. Always worked well on 240/12/Gas. Just recently I've noticed an unburned gas smell in the van only when the fridge is on gas. It's running off a bottle that is almost empty. Flame looks blue, flue hot, fridge running as normal. Is it common to have a bit of smell or is a case of getting it in for a fridge service asap?

Smell isn't there when the fridge isn't running off gas. Seems to smell inside the control panel at the bottom of the inner fridge, and also under the burner at the back.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Smell isn't there when the fridge isn't running off gas. Seems to smell inside the control panel at the bottom of the inner fridge, and also under the burner at the back.

Gas smell inside is not a good thing at all.....

Being a non auto fridge with the controls on the floor at the front and you can smell gas inside only when running does seem to point to a leak behind the control panel where the gas lines runs with connections at the thermostat, gas cock and safety valve before running to the burner , you can check the burner connections using a spray of soapy water and look for bubbles, for the connections behind the control panel the fridge will have to be removed to get access, the gas safety valve could be venting you never know so if no leak at the rear it would be a shop job for sure............

If you want to view the layout ......... https://www.caravansplus.com.au/spare-parts-diagram-rm4601-fridge-controls-black-trim-p-12986.html

Having a correctly fitted LPG alarm is good value.

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Probably a small gas leak as others have said @Fallen, but could also be the result of incomplete combustion at burner. Unfortunately, the flue for the gas flame is directly above the burner and any buildup of soot in the flue which comes loose tends to fall directly into the slots where gas flames emanate. Although you say that the gas flame is blue and steady as it should be, incomplete gas combustion can leave a residual gas smell. See the attached pictures of what I removed from the gas burner in my Thetford 93L fridge after 6 years' use. Indeed, if you look at your service manual, you will see that the manufacturer recommends that gas burner and flue be serviced every year for optimum operation. That can sometimes be done without removing fridge from cavity and gaining access through lower service vent. The smell of any gas is not good and can also be caused by improper sealing of fridge in cavity, which can allow gas/fumes to go past the sides of fridge and enter the living area inside van. Good luck!

Attachments

• P1120411.JPG
    P1120411.JPG
    574.5 KB · Views: 78
  • P1120413.JPG
    P1120413.JPG
    872.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Probably a small gas leak as others have said @Fallen, but could also be the result of incomplete combustion at burner. Unfortunately, the flue for the gas flame is directly above the burner and any buildup of soot in the flue which comes loose tends to fall directly into the slots where gas flames emanate. Although you say that the gas flame is blue and steady as it should be, incomplete gas combustion can leave a residual gas smell. See the attached pictures of what I removed from the gas burner in my Thetford 93L fridge after 6 years' use. Indeed, if you look at your service manual, you will see that the manufacturer recommends that gas burner and flue be serviced every year for optimum operation. That can sometimes be done without removing fridge from cavity and gaining access through lower service vent. The smell of any gas is not good and can also be caused by improper sealing of fridge in cavity, which can allow gas/fumes to go past the sides of fridge and enter the living area inside van. Good luck!

Usually throws up a yellowish tinge in the flame I have noticed but never noticed the smell to hang around all the time but certainly up there in the possibility, my fridge manual shows how to give it a clean with a brush and bit of air, just open the panel and give it a gentle clean making sure not to bash the protusions ......... as seen on my old fridge can be a lot of rust scale and soot can come down from the bit of pipe used as a flue................

Give it a clean and spray what connections you can see , its a process of elimination.....

Controls on the floor be a bustard of a spot.

Fallen

Feb 7, 2019
WA
Thanks for the responses all. Came up with the following:

1. There was no proper sealing between the back of the fridge to the front at the base controls section - specifically where the small gas lines and cables go through 2 glands, and also the top section of the back of the controls section. So sealed that up. Zero cabin smell or smell behind the controls now on low tank or half full tank. So confident no leak under there, as I believe it was getting blown through from the burner area.

2. Very very slight gas smell at the back lower vent on half full tank. And I have to put my nose close to getting burned, right at the burner. When I switch to low tank the smell gets stronger but again it's only right at the burner.

3. I already soapy water sprayed everywhere I could from gas bottles to right behind burner (when on and off) and no bubbles seen.

4. Took the burner out and cleaned it, very minor dust out of it.

So it's definitely the low gas bottle with perhaps more of the smelly stuff in it or it not fully burning properly (although still good blue flame). But I'm no longer concerned. Is anyone else able to confirm a very slight gas smell right at the burner when operational?