Electrical Fridge Exhaust - strange discovery

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
We've just returned from a trip and while removing red outback QLD dust from every cavity and crevace I've made a strange discovery on top of the fridge from the top external access panel. We have a 2014 Outback 17.56-2 and there seems to be an extra exhaust section just idley sitting on top of the insulation. At first glance I thought maybe the exhaust had rattled loose and just needed to be placed back, but the exhaust seems to be in place with this section just sitting nice and snug on top of the fridge it looks like it has just been left there from the install perhaps. I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on this discovery for me.
IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We've just returned from a trip and while removing red outback QLD dust from every cavity and crevace I've made a strange discovery on top of the fridge from the top external access panel. We have a 2014 Outback 17.56-2 and there seems to be an extra exhaust section just idley sitting on top of the insulation. At first glance I thought maybe the exhaust had rattled loose and just needed to be placed back, but the exhaust seems to be in place with this section just sitting nice and snug on top of the fridge it looks like it has just been left there from the install perhaps. I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on this discovery for me.View attachment 33342View attachment 33343
will look at mine on weekend same van

Reactions: numbez

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Handy spare part to have........
I'd panel that opening , fridge will work better.

Also whats that grey cable laying over the ammonia pipe ???? If thats how it was move it away from the pipes and check other cables are clear of the pipes they get very hot and will melt them and could cause a fire, such as one I saw recently.

Keep the "styro in a can" off the pipes or you will pay next time you go camping, it can really pong.

Reactions: achjimmy and Bluey

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
There truly hopeless Jayco. Your lucky you got one at all. At xmas I thought our fridge wasn't coping so I opened the top hatch. Besides loose exposed 12v wiring laying over the fridge I found the exhaust had swung 90degs and was pumping straight back into the cavity! I temp fixed it and there started the calamity . I indentlified I should of had a final part with a plate attached. When I spoke with a Jayco authorised repairer he said I must have lost it on a rough outback road and it would be down the back! Hmmm let's see no it's not there and if the drawing is correct it can't come off. Next I went to a Jayco dealer and viewed a van there, guess what no plate! I showed the service manager who went a little white. At least he got the implication here of the potential dangers . They sent me to their thetford repairer who is as useless as tits on the proverbial so I finally rang Thetford who mailed me out a spare part the same day by express post and I cut it down and fitted it myself Job done.

So I suggest people shoul check there fridge vents.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 259

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Handy spare part to have........
I'd panel that opening , fridge will work better.

Also whats that grey cable laying over the ammonia pipe ???? If thats how it was move it away from the pipes and check other cables are clear of the pipes they get very hot and will melt them and could cause a fire, such as one I saw recently.

Keep the "styro in a can" off the pipes or you will pay next time you go camping, it can really pong.

Yep I panelled over the top of our fridge after you suggested I look at the install manual for the thetford @Drover . My suggestion @numbez if your not comfortable panelling it yourself (you can see how I did it on my thread) take the install instructions to Jayco and say "my fridge doesn't work properly and it needs to be Installed like this pointing to the manual.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think I could do some of this maintenance for folks and earn some pin money but It would surely turn into a full time job and I would never get away.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks guys for all the handy feedback and responses. I'll take a closer look this weekend and 'tidy' up everything. Good idea @Drover, I will look at paneling the opening and tucking away those wayward wires. Thanks @achjimmy your diagram will be useful.
only one I seem to have goes straight out the side of van or is that just gas ????