Fixed bunks or fold up table in the 17 OB Expanda? Not sure which way?

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Hello would appreciate some feedback on people with fixed bunks or the fold up tables in the 17 OB Expanda as we have ordered it with the fixed bunks but have time to change this if needed. Our initial thoughts was the extra room under the bunk for storage as we have also ordered this with the outside hatch to obtain access from outside to under the bunk for BBQ etc. Thanks:help:

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Reactions: Ch00ka77

kimlouise

Jan 19, 2012
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
We have the fold up table, but will keep it set up as a bed for our three month trip to WA. We don't have external access for storage under there. We have plenty of room for all the stuff we are taking but it is always good to know there is room for more. We have four kids (1yr -12 yrs) so the extra table set up is handy if the weather is bad for meals etc. We wanted the flexibility for internal living....there are soooo many options, it can be very confusing. Good luck with it all.

ckcklopic

Aug 11, 2011
Melbourne
We have a 18.57.9 which seems to us to be a slightly longer, full height sized version of the same floor plan. We went with fixed bunks as the storage space under the bottom bunk was much more useful to us than the table. Good luck,

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Do you have Children? How many?
We have 3 kids under 7 and have opted for the fold up table. We will normally keep it set up as a table for the kids quiet activities etc. I figure I can use the area to store the BBQ whilst in storage and transit, then put it out under the awning on arrival.
Also, have you ordered with shower and toilet? If not then I'm sure you have HEAPS of storage anyway!
Good luck with the decisions.
What other options did you go for?

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
:smile:Thanks for the response ours is a toilet model and we have three kids 6 months, 3 & 5 the options we included are as follows.

outside fold down table
extended draw bar
outside speakers
stereo
extra awning light near door
extra awning light over toilet cassette hatch
extra outside power point
outside tv outlet near table
extra power point inside
down lights over table
control panel, battery & hot water switch mounted above sink away from the kiddies
shelves to robe
16" wheels

Thanks

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
We went the bunk option. We had the table set up as a bed for one of the kids in the Swan and it was a pain, and the kid didn't find it particularly comfortable sleeping on several cushions.
We also liked the idea of extra storage, throwing lesser used items, or 'change of season' clothes under there.

The only problem I have with it is they use a cheap and nasty 3mm ply as the base, where as in the 18' models, it is a slat bed base. I tried to get a slat base built by Jayco at the recent service and after looking at it for a month decided the sizes were different and it couldn't be done.

TweedTravellers

Jan 27, 2012
Gold Coast (NSW side)
We have the fold up table in our current 17 but have opted for fixed bunks in our new 18. As we have three kids we found that the table was always set as a bed anyway. As well, our daughter wasn't very happy with the comfort of the split mattress as they are harder than the full mattress.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
We have the table as well, wish we had of made it a proper bed with storage underneath.
We also have 3 kids, the table is always made up as a bed. We never used it as a table.

As others have said, it isn't a very comfortable bed with 3 cushions making up the mattress.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Thanks all again for the feedback as we are heading of through the centre basically as soon as ours arrives and then heading to the east coast and back home to sunny gippsland so I think the fixed bunk would be the go. Thanks again.:angel::angel::angel:

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Just confirmed our order with the fixed bunks for for storage underneath and also added a 800mm wide external hatch to access stuff from outside under the bunks and or to install an slide-out BBQ later on.