Fitting Rear Air Bags

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I thought I'd give everyone a quick run down on fitting rear airbags to my tow vehicle. I chose Coil-Rite airbags due to good reports that I had heard about them and the suitabilty to fit my raised 2'' springs.I fitted the airbags about a month or so after fitting the new coils and shocks.

This thread is relevant to 100 series Cruisers but the princible is similar to most makes of vehicles with coil suspension.
This is the fitting kit, the 2 donut looking things are the spaces required for the 2'' raised coils
001-3.jpg

After jacking the car up and making sure it was safley sitting on jack stands it was time to remove the rear coils which involved removing the sway bar mounts, diff breather, lower shocker mounts and brakeline bracket as not to damage the brakeline. (Very important not to strecth the brakeline!!)
Once this was done the bump stop needed to be removed to make way for the airbag and airbag line. the airbag now acts as the bumpstop.
004-2.jpg

The next job was to drill out the bumpstop mount to allow the location and postioning of the airbag and airline. This is done carefully with a holesaw.
005-2.jpg

When feeding the airline through a suitable location also needs to be found to mount the valves so they are easy to get to but also can't get damaged. The airline also needs to be protected from any moving suspension parts so it can't rub through. I unsulated my airline in flexible electrical conduit. Another thing to consider is making sure it isn't near your exhaust. I secured my airline with cable ties but allowed a little movement for suspension flex. Also clean any surface that the airbag will be mouted against.
006-3.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
When postioning the airline into the bag the line needs to have a nice square cut to prevent any leaks. Remember with the routing of the airline is very important as I find this the weakest link in the whole modification.
003-3.jpg
With everything bolted back into position and a quick squirt of air make sure you check for any leaks. I rechecked my airbag pressure every few days to make sure it was all good
008-3.jpg
I located my valves underneath my rear number plate out of the way yet east to get too. I have never had any problems with them mounted here and they have done maybe 80k. The valves are brass and easy to secure.
009-1.jpg
This shot was taken with 5psi in the bags and it hasn't inhibited any suspension travel.
535.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I took this at Jamieson it was the 1st trip with the bags in the rear. It took a few trips to find the psi I was happy with but it does vary depending on fuel load and whats in the Expanda.
062.jpg

Since fitting the airbags 4 years ago I have put a hole in one of them toward the end of last year in the High Country, it was only a slow leak but I would say it was nan errand stick that did it. It was right at the top of the bag and facing towards the front of the car. I was able to get just one bag so I replaced that and its been all good since. Less than an hour later and it was replaced.
042.jpg

New verses old, the old sure have earnt their keep and would've towed around 40k at that stage. And the dog got a new expansive chew toy.
043.jpg
Ready to go back in.
044.jpg

EDIT: This is a general guide only and if unsure seek professional advice and service.

KATO

Jan 29, 2012
Wollongong N.S.W.
Cruza driver,
thanks for posting the fit up of your air bags,
We have a 150 GXL Prado with a 16.49.3 ob behind with 2 kids, we have only done 2 off road trips but looking at doing more. I have also been looking at fitting air bags to the rear and a hyland hitch.
I have a few questions,
do you have to adjust the air bag pressure from on road to off road??

Thanks, Chris

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great write up Cruza, very handy info!

The location of the valves is very important, as you say, one of mine is in a terrible position (fiited by a 4wd accessory company). i really should move it.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Cruza driver,

do you have to adjust the air bag pressure from on road to off road??

Thanks, Chris

Yes mate when offroad I drop them down to 5psi so I have full articulation and it also smooths out the ride as it doesn't have the weight of the Expanda on the back. Before heading home I reinflate them with the portable air compressor

Reactions: KATO

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Have you seen the Kevlar bags that you can get to go over your air bags, they stop stick punctures and alow you to double the maximum preasure of the air bags. They retail for about $150 a pair.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Have you seen the Kevlar bags that you can get to go over your air bags, they stop stick punctures and alow you to double the maximum preasure of the air bags. They retail for about $150 a pair.
Yes I have mate, but I think I have a had a pretty good run considering where we go but they are a top idea. Its probably something I may do one day. :tea:

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
There is no way to drill the 44mm hole in the top spring tower without removing spring but to replace a bag already fitted you can pull hem out like that. Ive had them in all my 4 WD's for he lat 13yrs and never( touch wood) holed one( red polyair)

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
I figured that..... but looking at the kit it looks like one of the black "protective" ends has allowance for the cable to come out the side protected... What do you think?
http://www.4wddirect.com.au/scart/html/641.html

I the bought the polyair from the same place for my Pajero and I just went and found the instructions and I had to drill a hole at the top of the spring housing.

I found the install instructions for your Landcruiser at http://www.polyair.com.au/
PDF for 200 Series: http://www.heasmans.com.au/new_site/pdfs/4WD161199_203_HR.pdf

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Is the rear bumps stops inside the coils on the 200's like the 100's?

If so BM its a spring out job to remove the bump stop and drill the hole.

I had coil rite bags and yes I did hole one but that could have been just bad luck. The fittings all worked as they should and I never experienced any leaking etc in the time I had the Cruiser with them fitted. I can't comment on the Poly Airs but they have been around for years.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
I fitted a set to a 100 series thismorning, 1 hr job all done. I sit chasis on jack stands, undo bottom shock mount bolts and lower diff till brake line starts to tighten up, then lever coils out. For longer springs I use coil spring compressors.

Reactions: pace9908

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Drop the bottom shock mounts as MM said, and the rear panard too if needed this will give you a bit more droop.
I also undid the block off the diff housing for the brake line as you dont want to stretch the brake line. I also ran all my airline in condute to protect it from rubbing

Or get someone to fit them for you :bolt: