Electrical Fitting Eco hot water service

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Hi all I was wandering if someone can tell me if the power point on my 2012 16.49 .1 outback Expanda would be a 15 amp plug.I might be fitting an Eco hot water system and I was told I need a 15 amp power point and a 15 amp circuit breaker.The PowerPoint I was thinking of using is under the sink and is using one side for the aircon I think. Has any body fitted the Eco ,is it a good thing and does it produce really hot water.want to use it mainly to was dishes.sick of having to boil the kettle.thanks in advance .

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Re: Eco hotwater system, I have no knowledge.

Re: your van wiring/plug orientation, though to identify a 15A plug they will stand out. I have noticed that the vertical pin slot to be longer than the others (10A), and if you look really close, there could be marking on it like ''15A'/ 15Amps'.

Now l'm not authorised electrician, though just heading you in a direction. Good luck. Pace.

Reactions: 17triton and brotys

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
15 amp plug has larger bottom pin and won't fit 10 amp socket , so 15 amp socket has larger bottom slot and can take both I am lead to believe ,

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I would think you would need a 15 amp plug or hard wired. It is rated at 3.4kW. As a plumber, I am aware that the highest rated hws units that are plug in are 2.4kW. It uses nearly as much as a common electric hws which are 3.6kW and they are hard wired. I would wonder how one would go if you had your aircond/heater on and turned the tap on at the same time. Maybe a Griswald scene like in Christmas vacation.

Surely there is an electrician on here?

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
There are several problems with installing this unit. It will need a dedicated power point protected by a 15 amp breaker and 15amp power point. Don't forget the the power point has to be a double pole type. Next problem will be the wiring of the caravan. It won't handle the addition of the hot water system. A way around this is to have another power connection installed in the van and associated switchboard and wiring. If you camp in a caravan park then you will need access to two power points. Could be a problem along with an extra charge for the power.
Check the installation of the unit for ventilation and heat output. You may have to install a ventilation fan. Last thing you want after all this is having the timber deteriorate due to high humidity.
Pete

Reactions: mfexpanda

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Wow that is a lot to take in.So what type of hot water system comes out standard in this type of vans.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
They use the Suburban brand, it is storage not instantaneous. There is a gas instantaneous out there however the cost will add up but could be done (Girard). The Girard one is approved or a Suburban the same as Jayco use. Truma make an electric storage for below $500 I think. Storage will be plug in.

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for your information.I am steering away from the Eco hot water as I think it will draw to much current and will probably trip the system.Not sure what Iam going to do.

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Thanks for your information.I am steering away from the Eco hot water as I think it will draw to much current and will probably trip the system.Not sure what Iam going to do.
Keen to see what u decide on, as we r wanting a hot water system put in our 16.49.1 OB too. Have been quoted anywhere between $3000-$4000 but that is with an external shower as well.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
An old thread, but for anyone else reading, don't waste your money on the Eco hot water system.
I bought one from the Adelaide caravan show about 4 years ago. It did have a 15A plug.
Theoretically, if I had switched the plug to a 10A or made up a (15A socket / extension fly lead / 10A plug) to enable it to operate, (obviously this would be illegal and shouldn't be done) then you could get a very low flow of warm water but certainly not hot. It only raised the temperature about 15 from ambient so the tap temp is largely dependent on the temp of the cold water supply.
The entire unit failed after 3 years and wasn't replaced. Just bought a $7 kettle!