Fitting a Weight Distribution Hitch

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hey Everyone,

Have had a quick look through the forum and can not find anything on this, but if there is please just direct me there.

Anyway I am about to leave on a 3 week trip with the expanda for the first time and have a WDH that came with the van. I am just not sure how to set it up exactly and was after some advice. Maybe somewhere on the web or if someone has a video link etc.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Richard

Newclan

Jun 26, 2011
Port Hedland
Hi Richard

I am new to WDH's myself, it is not to complicated. I would sugest using google to search for the brand setup manual. From my understanding aslong as the rear of the van is slightly lower than the front it should do the trick as this lifts the back of the car and transfers aome of the weight to the front axle of the car.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Richard........most van dealers are only too happy to help. If you didn't buy from them, a small donation usually helps. Important to get it right!

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
We are planning to get a WDH as we have the FWD Kluger. Our dealer recommends us to hold off till we collect the van and they set up as they think we may well not need one. I would have thought they were compulsory on FWD vehicles ?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
With a front wheel drive vehicle I would highly recommend some form of WDH, best thing is to refer to your owners manual (towing section), trouble with most dealers saying you dont need one is, they are hitch'n up an empty van to your probably empty car on the delivery day.

measure your vehicle from the lower edge of the rim (not the ground) to the bottom edge of the guard both front and rear hitch the van see how much it drops, then take into consideration the load you put in the rear of car (including the kids) then how much is in the van.It's all pushing down on the rear of the vehicle, effectivley lifting the front.

Reactions: Klugerclan

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Our dealer recommends us to hold off till we collect the van and they set up as they think we may well not need one.

We got told that as well, but I'm about 99% certain we will fit one to tow with our Prado.

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks Gents, think we will definitley get one. Eaz lift or the Hayman Reese ? There seems to be quite a price difference, Eaz lift is $438 whereas the HR is $688. Dealer quoted us $780, don't know which brand ?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Thanks Gents, think we will definitley get one. Eaz lift or the Hayman Reese ? There seems to be quite a price difference, Eaz lift is $438 whereas the HR is $688. Dealer quoted us $780, don't know which brand ?

Thats good price for the Eaz-Lift, I started with one but ended up selling and went with the HR, simply because I had rear door clearance issue with the Pajero using the Eaz-Lift and there simply wasn't enough adjustment in it

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I just picked up a HR for $590 through an ebay store, but picked up from their shop in South Melb. (Dealer was also over $700)
I considered the EZI, but figured if wise ol' Bushman changed, then I'd also simply stick with the brand I knew and pay the extra:)

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Sounds like good sense, Bushman, please an you expand a bit more on 'lack of adjustment' as new to this ? on the Swan it was a black or white, on or off.

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We got ours through the dealer as them setting it up for the first time is well worth the extra money as we have hydraulic suspension.

And it payed off as it took a lot of mucking around to get them right:

You need the right size of tensioners for your A-frame.
There are 2 different length bars to suit your van type
There are many different shanks available to get your van and the tug sitting right.

The dealer had all of these sitting there and was able to try them to find the ideal combo for our setup.

Very happy with the outcome and glad that I didn't have the headache.

Saved money in the longrun because only bought what I actually needed.

Crystalyn

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Agreed, spoke to Page Bros as said we could get substantial saving on their price without mentioning any brand. Their response was "no problem" bring it along, if needed, we will fit it, if not, make sure you can return it. Fair go, cannot say fairer than that. Trying to save $300, but now thinking best to leave to the day valuing feedback received - ouch !