16' Series Fitting a 500kpa PLV

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Guy’s,

Has anyone experienced any negatives when they have fitted a 500kpa PLV instead of the standard 350kpa version?
My external shower pressure is poor and want to sort it out before we head away.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi Guy’s,

Has anyone experienced any negatives when they have fitted a 500kpa PLV instead of the standard 350kpa version?
My external shower pressure is poor and want to sort it out before we head away.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter
I’ve had the 500kPa PLV fitted for 3 years.

Can’t say anything bad about it, but it’s been fantastic at fixing my water pressure

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Never heard of any dramas ........................... my PLV has had the spring and valve removed now works well....

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi All,

I now fitted a 500PLV and have the following issues.
Hand pump tap leaking whilst pump is running, this was happening before I replaced the PLV.
My main concern is the pump is forcing water out of the mains inlet, I didn’t notice this before.
I have better pressure at the outdoor shower, but doesn’t last that long.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Okay, the PLV has nothing to do or any effect on your 12v pump operation.

The water coming out of the mains inlet whilst using the pump is caused by the NRV (non return valve) which is usually incorporated in the fitting you connect your hose to, this valve the O ring has failed or slipped off, it is a simple valve and is common failure. Best fix is to buy a john Gust inline NRV and fit it in the line near the fill point, the fill fitting can be removed and it is a simple job to just snip the internal valve with side cutters, throw in bin and refit the connector and all will be good. .............. The NRV may have been in the old PRV, either way fit the John Guest one way more reliable. $20

The hand pump may need to be dismantled, cleaned and lubed with olive oil, it sounds like the little flapper valve is stuck allowing water past when pump is working.... May even have a bit of drill swirl caught.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

renegade

May 7, 2019
sydney
Hi Drover,
Now after fitting the 500kpa PLV and John Guest non return valve, I have much better pressure with the mains and 12V. Just need to sort out the hand pump.
Once again thanks for your help!

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks always glad to help and share the knowledge ......................... Olive oil or a bit of vaseline on the end of the pump slide usually does the trick, not a lot or it will get gungy but it will keep it lubed though sometimes the seal gets hard and needs replacing or grit gets in, scours it all.