First Van - Sell me a setup

pykie

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
Hi guys,

I'm pretty excited to be writing this post.

As a guy in his early 30's who grey up on caravaning (My parents still spend 6-7 months of the year in their Silverline around the country each year), between houses, kids, weddings, travel and work, I'm finally in a position to bite the bullet and get my first Van.

I'd love some personal recommendations and experiences (I've just started delving into the treasure trove of info on here), to start the my research. My intention is to buy in early 2021.

Bit about me:

- 31, Married, with 2 girls - a 2.5 year old and a 12 week old. Likely to be 3.5 and 1 by the time we get out of this isolation mess and finalise the van purchases etc.
- Rig to tow it: 200 Series V8 Sahara.
- Storage: Secure Factory

Preferences:

- Like the look of the Expanda's for room, open minded to other suggestions.
- Probably an Outback, but potentially not. As with 2 very young kids, I think we are going to be sticking to parks etc. Happy to pay for one for re-sale etc if that's the reccomendation, also wouldn't mind the freedom to do some free camping if we are so inclined, especially up the Vic High Country. Don't absolutely need it though.
- I'm really open minded between all the models. Bunks are probably a requirement given the 2 kids. Don't think we need a shower/toilet. Happy for recommendations with young kids.
- Size- Really don't have a preferance, would probably prefer a twin axel as I've always found them easier to tow and back.
- Love a list of common issues to look out for when inspecting.
- Love a list of the best mods to look out for when assessing between vans and mods people have already outlayed.
- Must have mods and accessories in their opinions
- Must have facotry extra's when looking for Expanda's.
- Things you cant live without and hacks you wish someone told you.

- Intention will be to stick to parks, general Vic/NSW/QLD coast for the first few years. I really want to home school the kids for a lap in 7-8 years time. Most likely not this van though!

Anything other wisdom anyone can pass on!

Budget: $45-$55k, preferably with all mods and filling it out with the crap required.

The intention will be to try and lean on some members for their opinions on a few vans for sale if I post in this thread. (not sure if people do that on here!)

Thanks,

Pykie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean81

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
Hi Pykie and Welcome,

With your budget have you looked at new and get all the fruit included on purchase?
Must for me was the extended draw bar, better approach angle, also allows for bike racks and all the extras you will need to be added later.
With your car, I would defiantly go the outback - will ride nicer, bigger chassis, better suspension and heaps more clearance for those high country trips away.
Shower and toilet was a must for us with young kids too. If they get up in the middle of the night, it is much easier to use the van toilet than go all the way down to the toilet block, especially when you are still half asleep. Also, when you come back from the pool or beach, heaps easier to shower them in the van.
Have plenty of solar and batteries to support it.

Get as much included extras where possible on purchase or ensure if second hand it was included in the original tare weights.

Most of all - get out there and enjoy it - we always have and we are on to our 3rd van now.

Welcome again Deano

Reactions: WHHEMI

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome firstly to the mob and we can certainly help with ideas as it is a diverse group with many in your age/family group, with little kids I'm not much help being an old coot, my kids grew up with tents but I would still look at the off grid set up, you will find a bit as sooner than you think you will be wanting that spot by the river instead of cheek to jowl in a park.....

I would try look for an outback model or one with the suspension lifted, the tourers tend to drag their bum at times in driveways, ensuite will mean happy campers.

Do a couple of camping trips to help you decide the extras you want as often folk buy what they think they need then find out nope, really dont need that, the glitzy adverts suck them in....

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I’m as above an old coot, I would look closely at a 17:56 series outback with en-suite especially with kids they are a great van to start with, we had one and took it places where we shouldn’t have. @Bluey has one and a 200 series he’ll only be too happy to brag about them :) cheers and enjoy

Reactions: Bluey

pykie

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
Thanks for the replies.

Intention is to hire a couple of vans later this year (if we are out of iso) and do a few weekenders.

I don't imagine we will be able to hire exact models, but will be close enough to get the feel of what the Mrs wants.

Reactions: Dean81

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
If you’re ever allowed back into Queensland I have a mate north side of Brisbane who owns HIP caravan hire he has Jayco’s exclusively I some times pick up vans for him and deliver them, he is responsible for me getting an expander actually I know he has some expanda’s and fairly late models he only keeps them a couple of years

sierramason

Jul 15, 2015
melbourne
Thanks for the replies.

Intention is to hire a couple of vans later this year (if we are out of iso) and do a few weekenders.

I don't imagine we will be able to hire exact models, but will be close enough to get the feel of what the Mrs wants.

Hey pykie

If you are ever Intrested in hiring late model jayco expanda outback 17.56.2 I have a couple that I hire out through the Camplify platform. See the links below

https://www.camplify.com.au/rv/expander-rental-reservoir-vic-2019-expanda-outback/6147

https://www.camplify.com.au/rv/expander-rental-reservoir-vic-expanda-outback-17-foot/2886

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I agree with @DRW hes a wize man carnt speak highly enough about 1756=2 or the 200 both complement each other ask anything only to happy to help we evan fitted a cot in mine when my young bloke was younger great van great car 5 stars