First trip done and dusted

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Well we have just got back from our shake down trip with our new 14.44-4 ( am almost ashamed to say we have had it for quite a few weeks but this is the first chance we have had) and all I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!!:whoo: We moved to the Expanda straight from tenting and cannot believe how quick and hassle free it is to set up. And when we got home pull out the clothes and food, tuck the panda back in the shed and start planning next time :) We only went for the weekend but still wanted to try out the Kakadu annexe and the bike rack. I was also pleased with how well the the 150ltr fridge went. Running water, lights that turn on with a switch, Like being at the ritz for the weekend.

The bikes fitted on easily (after a few trial runs at home) the best fit was achieved by removing a pedal and twisting the handle bars of the bike closest to the van. takes less than a minute and lets the bikes sit almost vertical.
IMG_3658.jpg
Inside the annexe was snug and once closed up, possum free! which was a real treat. The pesky little critters have a way of getting in anywhere, but not this time... ahh tables without possum prints in the morning.
IMG_3642.jpg
With the annexe attached the extra enclosed space was great and even though this was the first time we have used it, took less than half an hour to put up.
IMG_3640.jpg

She who must be obeyed (but complains she seldom is :) ) is still smiling.... Happy wife happy life.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
very jealous boots...still waiting here. where was the first trip to and where do you hope to trip off to next? did you purchase through brisbane? your annex looks fabulous up against the checker board plate, did you order the annex with the van? happy travels

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Glad the Expanda did the trick.
We've still got a bit of waiting to do but its reassuring to know the first trip can be hassle free and enjoyable.
Good to hear the annexe kept the hungry little critters out :)

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
very jealous boots...still waiting here. where was the first trip to and where do you hope to trip off to next? did you purchase through brisbane? your annex looks fabulous up against the checker board plate, did you order the annex with the van? happy travels

Went to Bigriggen and have done a trip report here http://www.expandasdownunder.com/entry.php/55-Bigriggen-trip-report
We get a local holiday here for the Gold Coast show in about 4 weeks so are planning to go to Somerset dam. We bought the van at the recent Brisbane Caravan Show and yes from Brisbane Camperland. Got them to throw in the annexe with the deal. Annexe is Kakadu made on the Gold Coast.

Reactions: Four of us

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Mate you must be very happy with that setup:whoo:

Thanks for the bike rack picture as well. I was going to try and work out how to fit two bikes and you confirmed how i thought it would be done. Can't wait until our warranty issues are fixed and we can finally (legally) use our bike rack.

Go the 14.44-4, its a great model:rockon:

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Mate you must be very happy with that setup:whoo:

Thanks for the bike rack picture as well. I was going to try and work out how to fit two bikes and you confirmed how i thought it would be done. Can't wait until our warranty issues are fixed and we can finally (legally) use our bike rack.

Go the 14.44-4, its a great model:rockon:

Here is a close up. I found that by tying the tops of the wheels together the fixed wheel supported the steer wheel on the opposite bike. I used two small pieces of rope but a couple of ocky straps would speed thins even more. I used the red straps they provided and to my surprise they held on really well. I ran an ocky strap around the outside bike and back to the rack frame just in case.
rack.jpg

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Hi Boots33
I have gone through your threads and can't find what options you have with your expanda. Also where do you store the Webber Q when travelling and how do you find the 2.2 air con (thats if you have used it, not the best weather so far).
Cheers Cancan

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Hi Boots33
I have gone through your threads and can't find what options you have with your expanda. Also where do you store the Webber Q when travelling and how do you find the 2.2 air con (thats if you have used it, not the best weather so far).
Cheers Cancan

At the moment we are using the box the webber came in to transport it. it is a good fit under the dining table, we have a piece of non slip fabric that goes on the floor and just sit the box on that. Webber do make a duffel bag for the Q but don't have stock at the moment , we intend to get one when available and use that instead of the box. Our 14 is pretty standard as far as options go, we have the 150ltr fridge which is great and worth every bit of the space it takes up, the bike rack as you see above is also a great addition. As for the aircon apart from a quick try at home we are yet to use it, all of our trips to date have been off the grid so no chance to give it a try.