First post - a 16.49-1B OB

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
Hi all

First time here and very green to the whole caravanning thing. We live on the southern Gold Coast, have two girls 9 and 11 and have been long time campers.

We have been to Tassie, done the Cape up the OTT, Most of NSW, VIC and SA, Carnarvon Gorge, Ayers Rock, Fraser and Teewah Beach so looking forward to some more of our great land.

We're the greatest fans of OzTents and their ease of use and durability however it's time to move on. We looked at pop-top campers but decided they're a bit too much work - although better than a camper trailer! - and settled on an Expanda pop-top for our next phase of "camping". In a few years we will probably end up in a 17.55-5 Discovery but at this stage we are happy with our choice.

We bought our van from some people down the road who used it big time. There is still red dust in places but we are OK with this as the previous owners have sealed/replaces/modded/repaired/added all the stuff needed to make our van durable and liveable - it's perfect!

It has a few extras - battery, solar panel, gal boxes front and back, bike rack, BFG AT tyres, bed end flys, awning and all lights done in LED. It's been used!
photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 195

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:welcome: swifty and great intro too.

It sounds like the Expanda has all been sorted out already too :thumb: with a nice list of extras.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hey there Swifty and welcome to the forum,
Congrats on the purchase. We too have the 16.49-1 OB (2011) and Love it, great choice! We also have two girls aged 9 & 11.
Its a great list of extras you've got there, not much left for you to do, except give it a good wash n wax, can see the red dust in the photos.
Post up some more pics, we all love pics? What mods did the previous owner do? Might be something we haven't seen before and can copy!!!
Most importantly, enjoy the Expanda!
Lara.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Swifty and welcome to another Gold Coaster. Sounds like you've got yourself a great van so now it just requires getting out and enjoying it. Post up lots of pics and stories of your travels.

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
Thanks guys, will do. Looks like I have to add some profile info too. BTW, it's an early 2008 just before the hard tops. If you look closely in the photo in the carport is the tug, a white 200 series - the Greatest Car Ever Made. :)

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome Swifty. Looks like great buy with all the niggles sorted. Many more adventures ahead. With your experience I look forward to your contributions to this great forum.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome swifty, we also have 2 girls 9 & 11, nice van mate! I agree the cruiser is an awesome 4b......then comes the pajero! :)

cheers.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Welcome swifty, ditto what the rest have said, van looks great, any questions just put them up here and someone will have an answer, we have two of our own, 12 & 10 going on 16, look forward to seeing more pics of your travels with the new van.

Dave

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Swifty, I don't think anyone has a problem with bed ends leaking when closed up and travelling. My van only has a rear bed but I have never had water come in while closed up. I'm sure if anyone has had a problem they will post up a reply for you.

Are you interested in the SEQ meet at Canungra in July?

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
Hi Chartrock
No we won't be coming along. We are planning an 8-10 day trip out to Birdsville and back via Cunnamulla during the next school holidays so that will be us for a little while.
Cheers