Finally we have a Expanda in our family.

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Hi all. Yes it is true, after sooooo much research (A lot of it on this very site) we have finally found the right van for our family. It has taken us 3 months but today we put down a deposit on a 2008 16:49-2.
We started with a tight budget of 25K but stretched it a little bit to get into a hard lid.
We purchased the van from Caravan Land in Perth and would love to know if the original owner is on this site? That would be a massive coincidence but had to ask anyway.

My wife and I would like to thank everyone on this site for all your very helpful comments. We have spent many a night on this site researching a ton of information.
We are hoping to pick up the van next week as I am still waiting for the tow vehicle I ordered from Mitsubishi 5 weeks ago. (New Triton 4x4 Dual Cab) They say that'll be ready by Tuesday 3rd April, so fingers crossed we'll have the van for Easter. Not that we will be going away but it will give me a few days to climb all over the van and have a good look at what I've purchased and maybe start a list of some mods I can do.
The van comes with a Battery, TV Antenna, TV bracket and full Annex walls and skirts. Other than that it is Stock standard. We would like to do some free camping so I'm thinking I'll need to add another water tank, some LED lighting and maybe external shower?
Anyway I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more from us now we finally have the van and will be full of questions as we go along.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Congratulations, we are looking forward to our first outing next week, as I could imagine you are looking forward to yours.

Got any pictures?

carts

Jan 12, 2012
Think you might have to get 600 kms up before you start towing there Fam Man if the truck is brand new

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great news on finding the right van, well done.

What model Triton did you order? They are doing great deals on them at the moment.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Well done - hope you both and the kids enjoy your first trip. I know our kids 3,5,7 and 10 are looking forward to their first trip at Easter in our 17.56-2-- We are going freecamping up Mitta way (The man from snowy river country - will be nice cool mornings and evenings)

jindiman

Feb 16, 2012
Heh busybusymum if your going past the wallnuts be careful of the road works as some places are a bit loose but lots of great spots all the up to anglers rest enjoy easter

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Great news on finding the right van, well done.

What model Triton did you order? They are doing great deals on them at the moment.

Yeah they are. It's a company car purchased for myself, by the company I work for. We purchased a GLR, Manual, Dual Cab for $37990.00 drive away. I managed to get them to throw in a tonneau, floor mats and window tint for that price. If it was my own purchase I would have pushed more for the towbar as well but I couldn't be bothered playing the to and throw game for any longer than I had to.

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
16.49-2 & Triton.jpg16.49-2 Bridgetown WA.jpg

Here are the pics of our new Expanda.
We did our first trial trip last weekend (27th-29th April). We went to Bridgetown in W.A and it was a bit wet, but we still had a great time.
No problems on our first trip, which was only 2.5 hours from home. Van towed very nice at 100km's per hour, no swaying. One thing I learnt is - I definitely need tow mirrors or a rear view camera. Could only change lanes on bends, otherwise couldn't see traffic coming up behind me. (This was on dual carriage ways)
Van had no leaks but the canvas did get quite wet even with the privacy screens on. As long as we kept the bedding away from the canvas nothing got wet. I was impressed with how quickly the canvas dried out, only 2 hours in a bit sunshine.
All in all very happy with the drive and the trip.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
You need to think about canvas drops to replace privacy screens when it's wet. We are going to get some made. We had flys with our old expanda and nothing ever got wet even when we were in a storm.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Looks like a great setup. Its good you are happy with its performance on the first trip too:clap2:

Rain has a habbit of testing the nerves a bit

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
You need to think about canvas drops to replace privacy screens when it's wet. We are going to get some made. We had flys with our old expanda and nothing ever got wet even when we were in a storm.

Have been thinking about getting some made. Have you found someone in Perth who would make these?

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi FM we haven't organised anything as yet but our Jayco dealer suggested Kenlow. The only thing you must make sure it's measured correctly as the privacy screens give a little when placed on studs but canvas will have no give so the studs need to be exact. We won't be doing anything just yet, but will do so preliminary sketches as I want to have ventalation in the canvas so maybe a zip window.
Glad the van is going well. Lots of fun to follow.
Regards Jenny