finally picked up the 17-56.1 outback

kegs

Sep 23, 2011
hunter valley
Went down to Page bros in Seaford, Melbourne and picked up our long awaited 17-56.1 outback, it's well worth the wait, also the drive, saved about a good amount of money buying it in Victoria, then my local dealer. We are off to Port Macquarie tomorrow for a week, will post some photo's when we get back.:)

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Hope they looked after you. They did with us, excellent service. They forgot to charge us for the Eaz Lift WDH, I confessed and we paid for it. Hopefully bagged some positive karma ! Enjoy your van.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Congrats on the new van and I'm sure you will enjoy Port MacQuarie. I used to camp there with my kids each January but it has changed a lot since then.

kegs

Sep 23, 2011
hunter valley
hi all and thanks,
You are right, I am like a kid in the candy store.
I have just spent a week away and found some issues, so just wondering what you all think. I will be sending the van in soon for its first service.
Firstly, The 2.2 wall mounted air con started to leak badly, we only used it twice out of the 7 nights, and it worked wonderfully both times, but it started to leak water from the right hand bottom corner both times, left hand bottom corner looking at it, even after it was turned off, it continued to leak.
2nd, the boys discovered that they were receiving an electric shock from the draw bar and outback plateing. This occurred on the 2nd last night, so I turned the 240 volt from the mains and switched to the deep cell battery. But when I did this, I got lighting and stereo, but none of the van power points worked ???
The other half, she is a picky .......... person and discovered that the rubber seal around places such as the table have come away, is this bad workman ship of something that should be expected. I would be interested in your opinions.

Regards
:focus:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
wow,1st ive heard of the air con leaking, would be interesting to hear of the cause and the recitification. electric shock is scary stuff, maybe an earthing issue? as for the rubber seal edging, ours had came away too. from what i seen on the factory tour, this is done at the end before quality assurance ticks off on things. pva glue will keep them in, worked for us.

kegs

Sep 23, 2011
hunter valley
also,
I couple fellow expanda blokes were telling me that I should have some sort of panel which would tell me my water tank levels and possibly battery levels, they seem to think that it should come standard on the outback, especially the water tank levels

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
The air cond leaking is generally a kinked pipe that drains the condensation away from the head unit to the floor, it should drip out of the pipe under the floor outside, you maybe able follow the clear pipe and unkink it.
I Have heard of the electric shock before, this can range from a dodgy extension cord to a screw in the cabinetry going through a cable wiring in the van.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
also,
I couple fellow expanda blokes were telling me that I should have some sort of panel which would tell me my water tank levels and possibly battery levels, they seem to think that it should come standard on the outback, especially the water tank levels

Nope battery/water tank monitor is extra on a outback as well.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
The rubber seal edging came away for us also. But I had no issue whatsoever in highlighting this to Jayco in the first service. We pay a lot of dollars so I felt it was their issue to fix. That being said, I have never had a single issue in Jayco fixing anything I raised no matter how small and no matter how many times the same issue occurs.
My theory with Jayco's business model is quick fast output with the reduction in quality. Anything missed in production is picked up in the first warranty check. We ended up storing a pen in with the jayco service manual. At the back of the manual is a notes page that we used to write absolutely everything we found before we went in for the first warranty check. We tried to wait as long as we could before taking the caravan back to Jayco and just presented them with the list. At the end of each trip we would sit down and write any new issues down. We had done about six trips before returning to Jayco.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
hi all and thanks,
You are right, I am like a kid in the candy store.
2nd, the boys discovered that they were receiving an electric shock from the draw bar and outback plateing. This occurred on the 2nd last night, so I turned the 240 volt from the mains and switched to the deep cell battery. But when I did this, I got lighting and stereo, but none of the van power points worked ???
The other half, she is a picky .......... person and discovered that the rubber seal around places such as the table have come away, is this bad workman ship of something that should be expected. I would be interested in your opinions.

Regards

I can empathize with your problems but I would sure be getting the electric shocks sorted out. :scared: If you turned off the 240V mains the power points can't work as they are 240V. :yo:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thats terrible the issues you are having but in no way is it suprising to me. Unlike the Control Panel, dodgey quality issues ARE a standard feature.

Just contact Jayco and list all the issues and get them fixed ASAP. Their QA is non existant, but their warranty support is pretty good.

Good luck with it all!