Finalising order confirmation - should I add anything else?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi,

Received the order cinfirmation to sign the oher day.

However, after spending countless hours reading and lurking in the forum, we have decided to add some extras to when we signed up for our 17.56-2 OB at the Melbourne Caravan & Camping Show in March.

Initial items ordered:
- Roll out awning
- Rooftop air conditioner
- 150lt fridge
- Wind up TV antenna
- Picnic table
- 2 x shelves in robe
- Privacy screens
- 100amp battery pack
- Anderson plug to battery
- Control panel
- Add-A-Room annex
- Full oven
- Gas bayonet @ A-frame
- 19" TV/DVD 12v/240v

The other things we want to add/change are:
- Change from 2 to 3 shelves in robe
- Solar pre wire
- External tv point at picnic table to go with external 240v and 12v points
- Gas bayonet at front & rear
- Double 240V power points and 12v sockets under both the main and smaller tables
- 2nd 100AH battery

Is there anything you can suggest from experience that we are missing or should not worry about? All advise really appreciated.

Also solved the problem of the Volvo XC90 and its limited towing capacity - traded up to a new 200 series VX Cruiser with 4.5l Twin Turbo Diesel and took it off camping over Easter. Wife loves it - towed the horse float a few hundred kms last weekend and she said did not notice it was there. Not bad fuel economy either at 13lt/100km and 15.5Lt/100km with a horse float - Volvo was normally 20+ lt/100k with the horse float behind it.

Cheers,

Ro

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Hind sight is a great thing. We are really pleased with our 17.56-2 and thought though alot of what we wanted and got a stack of extras (see other entries under BBM and dad and kids expanda 17.56-2). However one thing I would change or add is a 2nd picnic table. There is enough room to put 2 picnic tables between the fridge vents and roll out awning arm - this would give you so much extra flexibility with outside cooking etc. In hindsight I would have ordered either 2 picnic tables side by side or none at all and put my own on aftermarket. We are now going to get another picnic table - but have to take the preorded one off and move it so we have room to add the 2nd one - will create some holes for filling but these should be covered up aesthetically when the 2nd picnic table is folded up. Also will have to order some new decals to put on and match.

Other thing which we have found to be invaluable -and we have only done the one Easter trip is the external shower. IF kids or even us parents are dirty , muddy, sandy etc from the beach or river - nothing like a quick outside spray off or shower instead of dragging mud and yuck all through the caravan. Given its extra price we ummed and ahhed quite a bit of this but are extremley glad we got it - others may have other opinions on this as well. An outside shower is an extra well worth considering! Also get an annexe light put in above it

Makes sure you specify well where you want things to go -there are a few options for the control panel - dont put it down too low as it is hard to get down and read it. We are very happy with where we have positioned ours.

Another thing you should consider is the possibility of extended draw bar - we got one so we could add a box to thefront to store things in - eg annex matting chairs etc. Others have them and some others dont - there may be other opinions out there on this

Definately do any prewiring eg solar, extra 12 vpoints ,bayonet fittings at the factory stage- it is much cheaper to do it then!

jay70

Oct 16, 2011
Hi Ro

I added everything except for the additional external TV point. I think you are on the right track in my experieince. Get all the weight in at the factory that you can so the legal carry limit is safe

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I agree about the Solar pre-wire. Even if you dont add the panels, I'm sure that will add value when you go to sell and upgrade

Feb 1, 2012
I agree about the Solar pre-wire. Even if you dont add the panels, I'm sure that will add value when you go to sell and upgrade

Agree with this. Solar was one thing I did not add but never thought about just getting the wiring all too late now.

I would also go the 300mm extra on the draw bar.

Feb 1, 2012
Another thing you should consider is the possibility of extended draw bar - we got one so we could add a box to thefront to store things in - eg annex matting chairs etc. Others have them and some others dont - there may be other opinions out there on this

Do you have any pics of the box?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Thanks for the responses folks - valuable as always.

Geoff - unfortunatly upgrading to the 18 series also means lifting the roof of the shed :frown:

An extended bar with an aluminium box would also act as a great stone guard!

Any ideas how much extra I should expect to pay for the external shower or extended drawbar?

From experience, what are the items I should specify the location of? I know I have seen a pic (busybusymum??) where the Control Panel is on the side of the sink cupboard.

Does specifying the location also mean additional charges?

Thanks,

Ro

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

Geoff - unfortunatly upgrading to the 18 series also means lifting the roof of the shed :frown:

Any ideas how much extra I should expect to pay for the external shower or extended drawbar?

From experience, what are the items I should specify the location of? I know I have seen a pic (busybusymum??) where the Control Panel is on the side of the sink cupboard.

Thanks,

Ro

I dont expect to be charged when I specify the locations!
Ext shower retails at about $378 (as long as you already have hot water)
Extended drawbars are about $247

Reactions: ROnEM

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga

Thanks,

Ro

No additional charges for specifying location of the control panel

Because of computer problems late last year lost our specific quotes on this computer - final details are on hubbys work laptop and he is not back until our camping trip friday night. I can get you exact quote next week - but I think shower about $300 and something and extended draw bar less than this

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga

Do you have any pics of the box?

Dont have the box yet - but have measured up. We are going to create aframe and move the gas bottles out wider so we can fit a 1200 length box in that space - so about 1200X 600 wide by about 400-500 deep. Have measured one up in bunnings. We are then going to mesh in the space underneath so we can store hoses or firewood then move the spare wheel to somewhere under the van - possibly just under the front boot area -will need to get a frame created for it to sit in and then bolt this onto the chassis. We will also somehow rig something up so we can put the weber in front of the box while in transit. We have also just bought a space case for the axe,and chainsaw and will put in roof cage on top of vehicle - thought it would be better here as it is something that you will not use necessarily all the time or every trip..

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Oh jjust with the extended draw bar - on final sign off make sure you check where the gas bottles sit if you go the extended drawbar we checked and were OK but I have seen pictures of others who have been left with a nasty surprise as the gasbottles have been sitting out in the middle of the draw bar when they have gone to pick up - although the drawbar was extended the factory had sat the gasbottles the same distance back from the hitch as they would have been in a normal draw bar - hence making the use of the extended draw bar for the purpose of putting on boxes etc pretty useless

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
BBM - Good pickup on checking the gas bottle locations on th extended frame.

Based on all the tips and lessons learnt while researching prior to purchase and also approaching final sign off, I should compile and put all of them together into a newbee's purchasing guide. There are clearly so many considerations and things to look out for!

Friends around the corner who have an Expanda put an aluminium box on the front that encase the gas bottles and still has plenty of space left in it. Think they got it made by "Ute Safe". As it takes up the whole front of the van, also acts as a great stone guard.

Will get some pics of it.

Ro

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
"Based on all the tips and lessons learnt while researching prior to purchase and also approaching final sign off, I should compile and put all of them together into a newbee's purchasing guide. There are clearly so many considerations and things to look out for!" QUOTE

Approx prices would also be handy.