20' Series Finalise build of 20.64-1 Outback

swarve78

Jan 7, 2018
Perth
Hi folks
I ordered a new van a few weeks ago and Jayco are about to finalise the build. I ordered the following options and wanted to get any input in case I’ve missing anything.
i ordered the extra panels and battery as I plan to use the compressor fridge off grid. The extra Anderson plug is for additional portable panels.
i am concerned about the quality of the J35C but not sure if there’s any other options. I’d like to add an invertor, DC2DC and AC2DC but this would just about replace the entire BMS. Not sure where to go with this one.
i am concerned about no externally accessible storage due to pull out kitchen. Any solutions?
we haven’t added the stereo as it sounds awful and we use portable speakers. Do you think this is a mistake? I enjoy music but I hear that the speaker mounts are so shallow it’s virtually impossible to get any decent speakers in there.
thanks
Chris

Extend A frame248
Extra 82l water tank.320
Slide out external kitchen1690
Picnic table241
2 x sirocco fans over bunks430
Oven433
RUC8 Fridge1336.5
Washing machine550
Water filtration to sink199
Additional 100 Ah Battery399
J-Control mkII599.01
Transformer J35C69
2x 160W solar panel756
Shelves in wardrobe103
Anderson plug125
Suspension Upgrade659.51

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Think this was hiding as i just noticed it::::

I think I would have gone for 2 x 120ah batteries with a compressor fridge but not a biggy and maybe 2 x 200w panels but you can supplement that with a portable, I'd go 180w min and I would fit to it a decent MPPT controller and connect the panel direct to batteries, give the J35 a miss, so may mean running your own anderson plug , then you will get the most from your panels, some will say they you will have conflict with the J35 contolling your roof panels and you connecting another independant unit direct to batteries, well in might in a lab but not out in the paddock, I'd give their J35 a go and just see how it all operates and if it does the job, an upgrade of components is not difficult but better to do it when you know what you want not assume you need it.... the J35 will run and charge your batteries fine when on 240........

If you have a decent solar set up there is no need for a DC-DC unit and if you want an invertor work out what you want it for and find one that will fit the bill, getting the biggest isn't wise, invertors will chew a good bit of your 12v and just turn it into heat, invertors mean more battery storage needed........ most stuff can run on 12v if they need 240v then its usually bling......... An Invertor for a washing machine will see you using candles that night, washing machnes off grid need a genny and a dam, they will suck your water tanks dry in 30mins.

When looking at off grid, have a long look at what you want to run you will be amazed at what you don't need when you find out another battery plus another panel plus.

2 x 100ah batteries means you have in theory 100amps to use...........the more you use the more that 5 hrs of good sunlight needs to shove amps back into the batteries, whatever the panels say they will make divide it by 30% and thats closer to the truth...............

So overall I reckon you have ticked the boxes, pull out kitchen loosing all that storage is a bummer, when you get it check the weights, real ones not the BS on the plate and you might be able to put a box on the front, more storage means more junk though.

How long will you have to wait ????? It might be full of Victorian refo's.

Last edited:

Gero

Jun 10, 2020
Geraldton
We decided to leave out the pull out kitchen. Originally attracted by the s/s bling but in reality it was only a sink with 2 burners and if the wind is from the wrong direction youre buggered. At least with the baby q you can move it around to suit. Without it you keep your storage and keep the weight down as well. My thoughts anyway.

swarve78

Jan 7, 2018
Perth
Thanks guys. Van is delivered in January. I think I got in just before the mad rush as 2021 vans are now being delivered in August I believe.

thanks For the help on the 12V and for clarifying J35C can be used for AC2DC.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You certainly must have got it ordered in the nick of time..................... If you have a gander here https://teambmpro.com/product-manuals/ you will be able to read up on the J35 gizmo's, I would also advise if you a new to dragging a van, wait tilll you get it and go for a run or 2 before you go out shopping for bits and bobs a soften the must have thing in a magazine or the bloke down the road will end up in your shed, so as much as its tempting to get the gear, just hold off and save the $$$.............

and my favourite place to shop for bits https://www.caravansplus.com.au/ as well as parts lists and how to's.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi folks
I ordered a new van a few weeks ago and Jayco are about to finalise the build. I ordered the following options and wanted to get any input in case I’ve missing anything.
i ordered the extra panels and battery as I plan to use the compressor fridge off grid. The extra Anderson plug is for additional portable panels.
i am concerned about the quality of the J35C but not sure if there’s any other options. I’d like to add an invertor, DC2DC and AC2DC but this would just about replace the entire BMS. Not sure where to go with this one.
i am concerned about no externally accessible storage due to pull out kitchen. Any solutions?
we haven’t added the stereo as it sounds awful and we use portable speakers. Do you think this is a mistake? I enjoy music but I hear that the speaker mounts are so shallow it’s virtually impossible to get any decent speakers in there.
thanks
Chris

Extend A frame248
Extra 82l water tank.320
Slide out external kitchen1690
Picnic table241
2 x sirocco fans over bunks430
Oven433
RUC8 Fridge1336.5
Washing machine550
Water filtration to sink199
Additional 100 Ah Battery399
J-Control mkII599.01
Transformer J35C69
2x 160W solar panel756
Shelves in wardrobe103
Anderson plug125
Suspension Upgrade659.51
Great list of options

I suggest you speak to a caravan/solar expert. Your compressor fridge will guzzle upto 100amps per day and 3 x 160w panels set up by Jayco are just barely capable of replacing what the fridge consumes, and then only in perfect solar conditions. In conditions less than ideal, ie overcast, rain, higher ambient temps etc your consumption will go up or power generation will plummet, and won't keep up to just the fridges consumption, let alone the other stuff running by the batteries such lights, fans, tv, radio, ipads, phones, water pump etc etc. Everything will appear to be running ok that's because thing will be working but you'll be forcing your batteries to be picking up the slack of the insufficient solar generation. The batteries will be just continually discharging the entire time in a kind of one step forward and two backwards deal. the 2 x fully charged 100ah batteries will provide significantly less than 2 days of fridge power consumption without a supplementary power source.

A couple of days off grid here and there like on the way to somewhere else and you'll get by but longer-term freecamping travel and youll be struggling and relying heavily on your car's alternator more than your solar panels

What is the suspension upgrade that you have, and what does that give you.

We have a 20.63.1OB and we have a large external storage access hatch under the lower bunk, the space for us has both internal van stuff and stuff we use outside.

We have the Fusion stereo and I find it reasonable enough, but more importantly its very convenient. I wasn't too fussed on it when we ordered the van, but Im glad the Princess insisted on spending my money on it, its been great to have. It will also Bluetooth to the phone which is surprisingly handy for both family calls and streaming music, and the stereo is connected to the TV to run thru the stereo speakers (mostly outside) which is very cool for sitting outside getting plastered while yahooing and watching the Grand Final of Cake Wars or Lego Masters. I have a portable Bluetooth speaker and its arguably better sound, but the stereo is used way more just because its easy and when it comes to outdooor music in a camp area mostly anything louder than a whisper isn't appropriate anyway (re neighbours) and we don't always need acoustically fine tuned news audio, or some background soundtrack to the bbq. We also have the outside entertainment hatch with 240/12v, tv bracket, media player etc and that gets a flogging; nothing better than sitting outside enjoying breakfast or a coffee and watching the news, following some disaster or sports.

I have an extra gas bayonet at the rear so I can connect the Weber under the awning toward the rear of the van, often on the picnic table if I cant be bothered jerking around with setting up tables etc. I struggle with the concept of standing in what is basically a street, cooking my dinner .... much rather be down the back, with the outdoor tv on (see above, ha). I plumbed the rear bayonet myself, at the time Jayco refused for reasons I can't really recall .... possibly just to be turds. Maybe they'll do it now

Get awning roof rafters and the anti-flap kit fitted because you will definitely need it, and it can be a little daunting boring holes in your brand new gazillion $$$ van yourself. Awning rafters need a decent bow too, do cop cheap thin rubbish with very little curve.

When you get the van, its very important you correctly season the canvas seams, and then proof the zippers. You really only get one good shot at that, and that when the canvas is brand new. Very little effort and it will reward you 1000 times over

Last edited:

swarve78

Jan 7, 2018
Perth
Thanks Crusty.
you‘ve got me slightly concerned about the 2 way fridge now. Will call a 12v expert as you suggested.
what are awning roof rafters?
thanks for the tip with regards canvas seasoning.

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have a read of this article, it explains it all rsther well without making your eyes roll.

swarve78

Jan 7, 2018
Perth
Thanks for the link. So if I’m reading this correctly, for the fridge ill be getting

Average energy consumption at AC (EN62552)1.02 kWh/24h

Is 1020 watts divide 12volts equals 85 amp hours per 24 hours.

rags

The Dometic specs on my generator confirm the power draw as 3 Ah/h

Avg Power Consumption1.02 kWh/24 h (240V) | 3.0 Ah/h (12V)
Climate Class

I converted to a compressor fridge nearly 2 years ago and can say it has been the best improvement I have made to the van hands down. Although ours is only a 110 lt dometic with average power draw of less than 2amps. Match the battery and solar to consumption and your in business. For me that is 280 amps in battery and 320 watt solar. It has pretty much kept the fridge running non stop for whole time it has been installed.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The fridge wouldn't draw all that (85a) as it wouldn't be running constantly but even at say wanting 60 amps all up on a hot day add to that 50amps for just general use that shows 110amp needed for a high use day........ I would look at seeing if you can up the battery storage even though they charge a heap for a battery.
So if you are going to do long term off grid then you will certainly need extra solar on the ground so you can suck as much sun a possible, you just have to remember to be economical with power, charge phone once a day usually midday that sort of stuff... but I would sort that out later when you get more familiar you have a good basic set up but would change to 120amp batteries or more if possible.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The fridge wouldn't draw all that (85a) as it wouldn't be running constantly but even at say wanting 60 amps all up on a hot day add to that 50amps for just general use that shows 110amp needed for a high use day........ I would look at seeing if you can up the battery storage even though they charge a heap for a battery.
So if you are going to do long term off grid then you will certainly need extra solar on the ground so you can suck as much sun a possible, you just have to remember to be economical with power, charge phone once a day usually midday that sort of stuff... but I would sort that out later when you get more familiar you have a good basic set up but would change to 120amp batteries or more if possible.
Things have changed a bit now the way Dometic now quote power consumption specs. They now list the fridges kWh consumed over 24hrs at a specific ambient temperature, 32deg, taking into account cycling, so the figures quoted for 24 hours is now supposed to be pretty accurate. Maybe they had too many people whinging about the confusing numbers they used to throw out

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I looked at their 3ah but if its really 84a/24 based on a 24hr run then thats a lot of storage needed just for fridge. Plus the usual....