Exterior Filtering Creek Water

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Was just down stream from Tom Groggin years ago and was going to boil the billy. Lady comes over and says don't drink that! They had been all over the high country drinking from streams and had only got sick the night before drinking there. I remember just smelling the water with my hands and it stunk of soot. Further up stream at the Davis plain crossover you could tell why. It was like Pitt st with fourbies crossing the river every 15mins (Easter time). Don't think I have every travelled anywhere without all my drinking water coming from 600ml bottles.

I don't drink from the water tanks at all.
We carry 2x10 liter rain water jerries reserved for drinking only. Use tanks for cooking (the water is boiled) , washing and showers.
Last 5 week trip, managed too get them (drinking water) to last nearly all the way, did top up in Mooloolaba at a special drinking water dispensing station next to the CP though. Need 2B very cautious when selecting refill points.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
And just to put you all off even drinking your town water supply that comes from reservoir's, just remember that things like fish, frogs, cane toads and our snapping handbags fornicate in them. Even if we had a rain water tank I still wouldn't drink any of the contents. The paint stripper that the flying fox's are dropping on to cars and house roofs at the moment is not something I want inside me.
I've been drinking rain water from our RW tank(s) all my life, know what can get in and is probably sitting on the bottom with the rest of the sludge washed of our roof but never been ill from it. Maybe I've built up a resistance!
Son lives in the hills outside of town and only has tank water, never has an issue. Town water always seems to me to have a yuk taste and smell of chemicals etc, might be healthier/cleaner/purified but prefer my rain water.
Have you ever tasted a nice brew (tea) made from tap/town water? Yuk!!!!, won't drink it!
I'm 63 and going strong so not changing any time soon.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Same here @Marv_mart , always glad to get back home to my tank water, 25 yrs of bird poo, dead leaves and probably possum poo holding the tank bottom together, thought about getting a tank clean but then thought the bottom would probably come up as well, gal tanks, so leave well enough alone. On road usually have a couple of slabs of bottled water cheap as and easier than carting jerries.

Giving 61 a nudge and hale and hearty, no town water.

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
Wife goes crook at me when I drink our tank water. As far as being harmful to me I have told her it can get in line with all the other things that are harmful and trying to kill me.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I am thinking of no longer drinking the water from my tanks just because it does not taste the best even with putting it through a Brita Water filter that sits in the fridge. The van is only new and used 3 times and filled only with water that we drink from at home.
While this may hijack the original thread, which I think the conclusion was not to put river water into your tanks thanks to @yabbietol scaring everyone off (good input BTW), what are others thoughts on their water from their tanks for drinking?
Would a better inline filter make it taste better?
Should the tank be cleaned out?

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I am sorry for the scare, but here is another, the Brita type filters while ok for lumpy bits do very little to stop dangerous bacteria, Brita (and others) often use charcoal filters to take out some chemicals and odours, but they are not 100% safe or effective. They should only be used with already treated town water I would not recommend them or similar filters to make water safe. There are filters for making water safe, but they are expensive and often need to be pumped with a lot of pressure, they use .1 micron ceramic filters and sometimes silver to block and kill bacteria. My MSR (brand) hand operated water filter takes a lot of effort to filter a couple of litres of water and cost about $250.

In line filters can be useful especially if you combine one cartridge of 5 micro filter ( to get the big bits) followed by a cartridge Carbon filter (for odour, large bacteria (amoebic bugs) and small particle removal, but you also need .1 micron (ceramic - about $90 per cartridge, reusable after cleaning) for most dangerous bacteria. So three stage filter is best, two stage filter can work ok. I use two stage filtering for our drinking water at home (5 micron and .1 micron ceramic), I do not bother with a charcoal filter as our tank water is very clean and does not smell and expensive charcoal filters often need replacing to continue to be effective.

The best simple option is to fill tanks with town water which is already treated with chlorine and meets international water quality standards (which is the case in most of Australia). Water tanks should be made of food grade polyethylene (not sure about Jayco water tanks) so should not leach plasticisers and hence not have a taste, new tanks may have contaminates such chemicals like silicone and oils. It always a good idea to fill and flush new water containers several times before use to clean out manufacturing residues. Diluted bleach will help with the cleaning.

I would recommend draining tanks and storing them dry, but leaving them filled for a few weeks should not be a problem, if you used clean treated water to fill them. Drain them if you used water you are not sure about its quality or safety. Algae growth and bacteria growth may occur in stored water, if you have a sulphur (rotten egg) smell you have a serious anaerobic (toxic) bacteria problem and the water should not be drunk, flush your van tanks and treat with bleach and then flush again with clean water till no sulphur smell.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Our house filters are only 5 micron, filters the floaties out, anything smaller I'd have to connect my fire fighter pump up to get some flow. Rain last night we now have a clean roof and the bottom of our tanks is just a little bit thicker.

A most informative post @yabbietol and spot on, one of the things living in the bush you have to contend with is water quality and it's a balance between being realistic or paranoid....................ATM we drink bottled water as the tanks are low and I have to top them up with bore water and it tastes like flat soda water, next trip stop at the water fill point in town $2 for a fill.

Reactions: yabbietol