Extra Water Tank(s) for 17.56-2OB

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Hey guys, we have just gotten back from a two night unpowered stay over at Theresa Creek Dam near Clermont Qld. Awesome place to stay!!!

My Q is, is there any possible way of adding another water tank to the underside of our Panda???, and if so where would we put it?

We found we ran out of water by the day we were going home. We were pretty conservative when we used it and we had separate drinking water. I took an extra 20L in a water jerry can, however it was an absolute pain in the a$$ to put into the tanks, so I didn't end up putting it in.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
The 17.56-2 comes with 2 tanks as standard unless anyone knows different.

2 full tanks is 164 litres of water (and 164 kg too).

Thats a lot to get through in that time. Without meaning to sound silly, but were you sure they were full? It can be hard to know if they are as sometimes they give the impression that they are full when all you are getting is a little bit of splashback as you fill them.

Reactions: VDJ200R

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Wow, that is allot of water. I hope to get 4 or 5 days from 2 tanks, I'd be checking for leaks... doesn't sound right. Did you have showers? If so did you turn off between soaping and rinsing? As BoD said 82kg ea so 3 tanks would leave you with no food or beer! :)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I've only ran out of water once (so far) that was on the Vic High Country trip, however I'm pretty sure the tanks may not have been totally full even though the guage showed they were, the tanks were filled with the van leaning to the right. I always fill them till there's no air spitting out of the breather and them some.

We found (thanks to Jim) that the spout supplied with those blue Coleman 20 litre Jerry cans fit neatly into the tank filler

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
I've never run out and I keep forgetting to fill them every now and then. As said, check the toggle valve under the van and make sure you are using both tanks.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We usually use a tank per day. Each tank is only 18 minutes of running time at full pressure. We are generally only on tanks for 1-2 nights though so haven't really needed to be 'conservative'.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Like others have said you may not have started will full tanks, it's a good idea to get a large rubber chair stopper and drill a hole in the end then slip over the pipe this way when pushed into the filler it seals and forces water in until it comes out the breather then you know there full.

The hose I made up below with a tap allows you to turn off the water at the van.

image0001.jpg image0002.jpg image0003.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Great idea SS, something to keep in mind, my mate "popped" the glue and broke some screws where the floor sits on that cross brace closest to the tank because he filled the tank too quickly. The water didn't have enough time to exit out overflow when the tank expanded!

Cheers.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Great idea SS, something to keep in mind, my mate "popped" the glue and broke some screws where the floor sits on that cross brace closest to the tank because he filled the tank too quickly. The water didn't have enough time to exit out overflow when the tank expanded!

Cheers.

True Burnsy, you do have to be careful as some places have huge water pressure, with the inline tape you can control the pressure.

Christian

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just when I thought it was all done! I always fill slowly through the water filter. (Need little folding chair and beer) but always have full tanks of very clean water. Will now have excuse to spend a couple of hours in Bunnings or Masters looking for a rubber stopper. Two of us go through two tanks in 4 or 5 days with frugal showers. Still careful with water, but not as much as when I had to carry it from camp laundry in a bucket. Spoilt by our Expanda.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hey Hubble,
I love going to Theressa Creek, its our fav spot! We usually run out of water on one tank and into the second by the end of the weekend. Thats with all 5 of us having showers, 2 of us morning and night. I fill up the tanks until there is water streaming out of the breathers but found recently 2 holes on the top of one of my tanks that would leak all the way there. Maybe worth doing christians method and also check for leaks!!
Cheers,

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Saw a 21' base station over Christmas break and got the thoughts going too........
Wouldn't be able to convince the missus tho, plus no money :)