Exterior Extra water Storage in Tow vehicle with expandable bladder

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Just did a few days away free camping in our new Caravan and was pleased with our setup, but thought it would be nice to have some extra water storage in the tow vehicle. We already carry about 60l in plastic "jerry" cans and decided it wold be nice to have another 80l to 100l of water storage. We carry 160l in the caravan.

After a bit or research have found this web site.
http://www.fleximake.com.au/Home/Product?Id=f6de3648-db57-4369-9033-f6240f6bff35&SCID=SC0001

We decided on a bladder mounted on the forward side of the cargo barrier, it will stay in place all the time and only be filled as required. To transport the bladder filled we plan to tilt the rear seats forward, however most of the time the bladder will be out of sight behind the rear seats. The capacity of these bladders ranges from 110l to 60l. We wanted about 80l so we got one custom made (1060m L x 700m H x 250m base), to fit in front of the Pajero cargo barrier and the wheel arches, cost $264 delivered. Fleximate were very helpful and easy to deal with in getting the bladder size we wanted, they are also Aussie made. We have yet to get the bladder delivered, but expect it in the next couple of weeks.

The main advantage we see is good weight distribution in tow in front of rear wheels and when not needed stored out of the way. They also make bladders that fit in the rear seat footwell which was another option we considered, but storage when not in use could be a problem.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds like a good solution....and a good price.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes as we're seriously considering something similar but were wondering how robust they'd be.

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
They have a 2 year warranty and a look around their web site showed they made a lot of commercial large scale bladders. I was impressed by the time they spent with me discussing my small job considering the larger commercial products they sell.
Only time will tell how robust they are, but they seem to know their stuff. I was also pleased with the price they quoted.

Reactions: Dobbie

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We have been on 4WD trek with a guy who had one in the rear footwell of his Challenger, it's a real good way to carry water, more convenient that 20 litres containers

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We used to have one in the rear footwell while the kids were little and didn't need the leg room.

We then added a 60l tank underneath where the spare wheel used to be and added a pump and tap on the rear bar.

Bloody handy having water on tap.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
@yabbietol , and @Bellbirdweb . Can you elaborate as to how it's fitted? Thinking this may be good for our trip, but don't want anything permanent in the cruiser. Also, is it 'robust' enough to put stuff on it, like clothes, etc if it is in the back of a car? We use all seats with the boys, so was thinking one would fit behind the 3rd row.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Smirke ours was made of a heavy duty rubber type material, and was strong enough to store stuff on top.

Are you getting a rear wheel carrier on your 200 Series ?

When I took the spare when out from under the 100 series and put it on the Kaymar rear bar, the spare left was perfect to fit the water tank, and no loss of cargo space.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thinking of the rear bar, but only a single. We will need 2 spares for our trip so the original was going to stay. Woke up at 3am with "oh crap, what are we going to do for water" on my mind as we decided not to take the panda wagon on the gibb. (Remembering the steepness of the washouts and looking at a couple of pics cemented the decision. If the panda had that cut away bum, then it would be different).

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Grab a saw and cut it away!

Bladder sounds good to me for tenting ... Solid containers are a short term solution and move around too much and are usually tucked into difficult places in vehicle...then have to be lifted out and are heavy.

Only hesitation I'd have (if happy it's robust enough) is the need to get the water out from a low bladder. Ideally, I'd like to use a gravity fed tap and hose but a small 12v pump might work.

Interesting. I'll watch with interest.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
@yabbietol , and @Bellbirdweb . Can you elaborate as to how it's fitted? Thinking this may be good for our trip, but don't want anything permanent in the cruiser. Also, is it 'robust' enough to put stuff on it, like clothes, etc if it is in the back of a car? We use all seats with the boys, so was thinking one would fit behind the 3rd row.
They can be fitted in a number of ways, the one we have ordered is designed to sit against the front slope of the cargo barrier, the supplier mentioned most people attach the top with cable ties. They did stress it is important the base is supported. They also have some designs that can fit behind the cargo barrier.

I hope they are robust, we plan to store other stuff near it. I do plan to put some closed cell foam (like in exercise matts) against the cargo barrier behind the bladder as insurance against rubbing. Also I will place a "bubble wrap" type sun visor against the front of the bladder when collapsed behind the seat to protect against rubbing from seats. May be over kill, but do not like idea of 80 l of water leaking inside tow.

They specifically make a bladder for a Pajero that fits in the well left when you remove the third row of seats, I decided against this option though we have a Pajero, as I would prefer the extra weight forward as practical and I also already use that space for tools and recovery gear. They also make bladders for utes either flat on the tray or hanging along front edge. Based on my experience if the shape is not quite want you want ring them and they seem quite happy to custom make the shape you want.

I suggest measure the space and give them a call and get one custom made if none on their web site suit.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Grab a saw and cut it away!

Bladder sounds good to me for tenting ... Solid containers are a short term solution and move around too much and are usually tucked into difficult places in vehicle...then have to be lifted out and are heavy.

Only hesitation I'd have (if happy it's robust enough) is the need to get the water out from a low bladder. Ideally, I'd like to use a gravity fed tap and hose but a small 12v pump might work.

Interesting. I'll watch with interest.
We thought about the footwell bladder, but felt the higher position bladder against the cargo barrier would make it easier to use. They also sell 12v pumps, no idea how good they are, but we already have a 12V pump for emptying our jerries and drafting from a container so we will use our existing portable 12V pump if required.

Reactions: Dobbie and Smirke

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Thinking of the rear bar, but only a single. We will need 2 spares for our trip so the original was going to stay. Woke up at 3am with "oh crap, what are we going to do for water" on my mind as we decided not to take the panda wagon on the gibb. (Remembering the steepness of the washouts and looking at a couple of pics cemented the decision. If the panda had that cut away bum, then it would be different).

If you are getting a rear bar, you can have a twin carrier, and remove it when you aren't using the 2nd spare (this is what we do).

There is a bit of an issue getting water out of the bladders when they are getting low if you are relying on gravity feed. You'll need to make sure you can get them higher than the outlet point.

Here are some photos of my setup underneath the 100 series. It's been there for 14 years and still works a treat.

The tank is held in with a steel pan which also protects it from damage underneath but it's just a 60l caravan tank I purchased on line.

The pump is a sureflo the same as the ones they use in the Jayco's and it operated automatically once the tap is turned on.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We're planning on taking out 20.63 on the Gibb later this year .... you can give me a hand to fix it when you pass by. Already ripped the spare wheel off

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We're planning on taking out 20.63 on the Gibb later this year .... you can give me a hand to fix it when you pass by. Already ripped the spare wheel off
exciting times! @burnsie , no pressure or anything, but now it's me and @Crusty181 who will be relying on your road condition reports. Plus the camping spot reports.

When are you planning on being there @Crusty181 ?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Interesting and will be following. Have been thinking about these bladders for possible diesel storage in the back of the Colorado in a gap/nook of a draw system. Maybe I might consider it for a water as well/instead.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
FYI The kaymar rear bar and wheel carrier on the 200 don't come apart as easy as they used to in old models. But if you do this you can get a 130litre aux fuel with 50litre SS water to replace std aux and spare. Great for remote. But @Smirke if your thinking rear bar have you done the GVM upgrade? Even at 3800kg I reckon loaded set up like that she'll be 4,000kg or more with ball weight. So you'll be so far over std GVM of 3350 it won't be funny.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
FYI The kaymar rear bar and wheel carrier on the 200 don't come apart as easy as they used to in old models. But if you do this you can get a 130litre aux fuel with 50litre SS water to replace std aux and spare. Great for remote. But @Smirke if your thinking rear bar have you done the GVM upgrade? Even at 3800kg I reckon loaded set up like that she'll be 4,000kg or more with ball weight. So you'll be so far over std GVM of 3350 it won't be funny.
No we didn't go the gvm, only got the lift and suspension and airbags. We don't plan on removing the spare from underneath at this stage, we only want the one on the back for a 2nd spare in prep for the gibb. Like the idea on the water bladder, but will look at the show next weekend to see what is there. Certainly don't want to go over the limit.