14' Series Extra Spare on 14 44 5

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Hi all
have just bought a new 2015 14 44 5 OB and plan to do some outback roads so would like to carry an extra spare (I'm told I can't match the Prado wheels) -- has anyone fitted a 2nd spare on other side of the existing one thats under on LHS? or if plumbing is a problem where else have they fitted it?
thanks and merry XMas
PS any tips on dust sealing?

Reactions: Marv_mart

egomoi

Aug 7, 2014
I also have this model and a Prado. The Expanda has 15" wheels, or 16" if you choose an option - but the overall diameter will be the same as they put on lower profile tires for the 16" wheel. The Prado has 17" wheels, so you can't interchange them.
I put a toolbox on the A frame and moved the spare wheel to a wheel carrier on the rear bumper.

Reactions: alexvk2

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We have a 14.44-5 OB, moved my spare to the centre of the rear bumper.
Would be possible to put 2 on the back but...
. Look out for weight issues, still need weight on the tow ball on the front.
I put twin JC holders on the front to balance the weight on the back.
. Check to make sure the rear bumper is strong enough to take the weight
. Can't obscure tail lights etc
. Maybe one on the bumper and possibly mount one underneath? Others have done this
On our recent trip to the Bungles and GRR, I had an extra spare for the van in the tub of my 4x4 and an extra spare for my 4x4 on a roof rack, normal spare for each and an extra spare for each.

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
We have a 14.44-5 OB, moved my spare to the centre of the rear bumper.
Would be possible to put 2 on the back but...
. Look out for weight issues, still need weight on the tow ball on the front.
I put twin JC holders on the front to balance the weight on the back.
. Check to make sure the rear bumper is strong enough to take the weight
. Can't obscure tail lights etc
. Maybe one on the bumper and possibly mount one underneath? Others have done this
On our recent trip to the Bungles and GRR, I had an extra spare for the van in the tub of my 4x4 and an extra spare for my 4x4 on a roof rack, normal spare for each and an extra spare for each.
How did you go on GRR & did you take the Panda into the Bungles? We did this trip last winter with a slide-on camper & Hilux and next season will be my first towing. My setup has the spare under the van as standard - what was the wheel carrier setup?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Only drove without van upto first big river crossing from the east, camped at Kununurra for a few days. Also did a trip to Wyndham. Saw a few doing the GRR with OB expandas successfully but would suggest single axle or proper off road vans.
For the Bungles, there is a CP about 1km in off the main road where we camped for a few days while we explored the BBs with our 4x4. Again single axle (risky imho) or proper Off road van if you want to go all the way in. Road is windy, rough, creek crossings, stony (stone cut one 4x4 tyre), would need to be completely self sufficient if you did go all the way.
Fantastic trip, follow my Marv_Mart trip to the Kimberleys to get a full trip report.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/marv_mart-trip-to-the-kimberleys-2016.6071/
My spare 4x4 wheels, one under the tub (hard to get to), one on the roof rack
Spare Panda wheels, one on the rear bumper, one in the 4x4 tub.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/marv_marts-panda.5178/
Look at #6 for my Panda spare setup.
Marv

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I have the 2014 14ft OB and my spare is inside the drawbar under the gas bottles. I have considered making a winch system like dual cab Utes to install it under the rear of the van then use the front space for firewood. I have two water tanks but still plenty of room under the rear.

Reactions: alexvk2

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I found that with the spare in the draw bar, a) it was very fiddly getting it out, requiring the removal of at least one gas bottle and b) the bolt holding the wheel in is easily knocked on rougher roads, bent and then impossible to remove hence I shifted it to the rear bumper.
My son made a double JC holder on the front, I made a wire cage where the wheel used to be so it is now a storage space for my annex.
IMG_4470.JPG

Last edited:

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
I have the 2014 14ft OB and my spare is inside the drawbar under the gas bottles. I have considered making a winch system like dual cab Utes to install it under the rear of the van then use the front space for firewood. I have two water tanks but still plenty of room under the rear.
My 2015 has the spare under the van where the door is ...may be able to duplicate on the other side except for a bit of plumbing

Reactions: MDS69 and bigcol

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Hi Alex, could you put some pictures up of your under caravan spare wheel carrier at all?
Hi I've posted some pics ... if u can't find them pm me and I can send... jayco will supply a duplicate of the system for the first spare for about $250/$300 ...the winder system works well and cheaper but u need to use a drill and extension to operate it from front to back(no real inconvenience because dont expect to need 2nd spare too often) ..also fit a few wooden blocks to stop wheel winding up too high . Check out my posts and photos.
Cheers alex

Hi I've posted some pics ... if u can't find them pm me and I can send... jayco will supply a duplicate of the system for the first spare for about $250/$300 ...the winder system works well and cheaper but u need to use a drill and extension to operate it from front to back(no real inconvenience because dont expect to need 2nd spare too often) ..also fit a few wooden blocks to stop wheel winding up too high . Check out my posts and photos.
Cheers alex
Hi Alex, sorry can't find pics & can't see how to pm, despite having a good look?