Electrical Extra 12 volt sockets

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I want to put two extra 12 volt sockets inside my van for my TV to plug into (12 volt as I mainly free camp).
I was planning on running two sets of wires from the back of the existing external 12 volt socket. The arse end of the existing socket is inside the sink cupboard, I want to put a socket at each end of that cupboard.

Would this be okay?

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
As long as you only wish to charge a phone or something low drain whilst tv on will not be a problem.

The chances of running all 3 at same time are limited......

Might get a little warm or overloaded if you're running a fridge, tv and wife's 12v hair straightener :)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Mate the TVs can need a quality 12v supply. Generally Jayco use 6mm auto wire which should be okay to. Piggy back off . But just note if you have any issues with the tv cutting off. It may pay to run a dedicated 12v line in reasonable size cable.

Reactions: BigSkiddy

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Another thing to remember is there is only 1 fuse for your current outlets, we have 3 outlets and blew a fuse first trip, then I rewired the whole bloody thing lol. As Racer said it will be okay if you don't try to run too much off it, the cable is heavy enough, just all off one fuse doesn't make it to Auto Electrics 101 I'm afraid.

Reactions: achjimmy

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
While we're at it, based on @BigSkiddy 's question, I assume we're OK to plug a "double adaptor" 12V off the one in the van if only to charge a few phones and tablets and the like?

Reactions: Racer

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
@Smergen you can out anything in it you like, its protected with a fuse, just be careful the connections are okay or it will heat up and damage the socket

I've melted a number of 12v plugs off laptops chargers when plugged into the car. The spring loaded tip jams inside, very annoying.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
If it's internal I'd be using a recessed 12v socket from Narva or Baintech. I installed a recessed Narva USB socket in our Flamingo which I piggy backed off the 12v socket. I think they are a 24mm hole saw.

In anticipation of our Expanda I've already got sitting in the cupboard a Baintech USB waiting to be deployed upon arrival (with many other things!)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261317983345

Reactions: achjimmy

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Smergen you can out anything in it you like, its protected with a fuse, just be careful the connections are okay or it will heat up and damage the socket

Thanks @DRW... just thinking of when we free camp and keep the phones and the like charged. Nothing heavy duty... that being said, I do have a long shopping list...

Reactions: Redbarn

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
If it's internal I'd be using a recessed 12v socket from Narva or Baintech.

Initially was going to put a recessed one in, but it will be beside the door, so when cable is in it it will stick out at 90 degrees and then curl around back up towards the TV on the shelf. Likely to get knocked.
The surface mount one will allow the cable to run parrallel to the wall with it mounted hole side up.
I think that makes sense??

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Damn you guys.....
Now another mod to do. Was just going to use a plugin double USB adapter in the TV 12V socket for charging phones etc but now after telling the "Boss" about your ideas she wants one installed in a more accessible location... I'm still looking for a thumbprint on the forehead Smilie :ballchain:

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
I've got the dual 12v socket I installed in the rear of my Prado. Plus a 12v LCD read out operated by a momentary switch to give me an idea of the aux batt voltage. image.jpgimage.jpg

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I've got the dual 12v socket I installed in the rear of my Prado. Plus a 12v LCD read out operated by a momentary switch to give me an idea of the aux batt voltage. View attachment 24122View attachment 24123
I used a similar single USB plug with dual outlets connected via the back of the outdoor 12v socket. It sits at the end of the sink cupboard, very handy. As with most USB chargers with a dual outlet, they are limited in that they will charge an iPad and an IPhone together but not enough to charge two iPads. We use this outlet plus a dual plug in the TV socket.
Also bought a 4 USB 240v plug from a camera shop that sells for overseas travelers. Similar limitations as above but great when powered up to 240V. We don't have any outlets on the off side of the van apart from the one I installed via a spare socket I found behind the water heater using a small power board that now sits in the small cupboard under the trifold table.
On another but similar point, can you get an adaptor that has an Anderson plug (portable solar panel connections) and a female 12V socket on the other?
Marv