Exterior External BBQ Gas fitting

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Whether the reason is "Lack of hair" or self inflicted by "Clippers" we are both going to need the Beanie this coming weekend for our trips away.... Me more than you seeing we are heading inland

Reactions: bigcol

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Had an external bayonet fitting installed on the van this week. The copper pipe used had a hard plastic sheath for protection. Have readers used similar piping? Any views on whether additional impact protection e.g. split hose should be fitted? There was no inline on/off valve fitted as the installer (licensed gas fitter) said one wasn’t needed because the bayonet connection had a built-in cut-off valve. Now need a longer hose to connect the Baby Q. Will be off to @Ligedy's eBay shop.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Had an external bayonet fitting installed on the van this week. The copper pipe used had a hard plastic sheath for protection. Have readers used similar piping? Any views on whether additional impact protection e.g. split hose should be fitted? There was no inline on/off valve fitted as the installer (licensed gas fitter) said one wasn’t needed because the bayonet connection had a built-in cut-off valve. Now need a longer hose to connect the Baby Q. Will be off to @Ligedy's eBay shop.
where did you fit it to the van ??

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside

The one I had fitted has no inline shut off valve either and the fitter used split tube for protection so all sounds good to me, also brought the hose of @Ligedy

Reactions: Curryhouse

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
where did you fit it to the van ??
Hi @Bluey, fitted the outlet at the front end of the van under the LHS. It's in front of the awning leg and annex track. IMG_0718.jpg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi @Bluey, fitted the outlet at the front end of the van under the LHS. It's in front of the awning leg and annex track. View attachment 33917
I want to fit mine on draw bar so I don't have to bend down now we have an annex my back one is no good when annex is up I have 3 meter hose but will be cooking in back yard so to speak would rather cook out front

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I want to fit mine on draw bar so I don't have to bend down now we have an annex my back one is no good when annex is up I have 3 meter hose but will be cooking in back yard so to speak would rather cook out front

plus you got the "add a room" (which I wasn't allowed to have)

easy job for you mate

Reactions: Curryhouse

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
I would suggest a piece of rubber as a flap on the back of your Bayonet point
stop anything from the car flicking up onto the pipe at the back

but good job mate

Hi @bigcol, thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one. Looking at the photo I posted, the fitting does look very exposed. Rubber flap is an easy solution and together with some split tubing as mentioned by @Axl, it should be well protected. Hose is in the mail from @Ligedy so all is good.

Reactions: bigcol

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi all,

Has anyone run a primus stove off a bayonet? I want to run my primus stove off the gas bayonet, so i dont have to carry another gas bottle. I hate cooking in the van, so want to cook outside, i guess like a camper trailer.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Hi all,

Has anyone run a primus stove off a bayonet? I want to run my primus stove off the gas bayonet, so i dont have to carry another gas bottle. I hate cooking in the van, so want to cook outside, i guess like a camper trailer.

If it is a high pressure stove then no you will not be able to run it from the vans bayonet as this gas has already been through a pressure regulator that has reduced the pressure to low for a H/P stove.

H/P stoves have no regulator in the line from the bottle to the appliance they rely on jets to drop the pressure to the burners where as low pressure items such as BBQ' s need to have the gas pressure regulated down.

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
If it is a high pressure stove then no you will not be able to run it from the vans bayonet as this gas has already been through a pressure regulator that has reduced the pressure to low for a H/P stove.

H/P stoves have no regulator in the line from the bottle to the appliance they rely on jets to drop the pressure to the burners where as low pressure items such as BBQ' s need to have the gas pressure regulated down.
Hi Axl,

Thanks, that makes sense. The stove is not going to work, as it does not have a regulator.

Greg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi all,

your other option is to set it up, and use another gas bottle (that you will have to carry)
the thought has crossed my mind to carry one - just in case - but have not gotten around to transferring thought to action yet