Starcraft Exterior Walls Buckling

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Has anyone else had problems with the exterior aluminium wall panels buckling on their Starcraft.

We have a Starcraft 19.61-2 OB that is only a couple of months old. We only noticed a week ago that the bottom aluminium wall panels on both sides of the van have buckled (bowing out). It went in for the first service today and they have told me they will replace the panels under warranty at another time and that they have seen a few Starcraft with the same problem.

Just wondering how many others on this forum have had this problem.

Was what the outcome of replacing the walls?
Did replacing them result in further issues?

Anything we should be aware of with getting walls replaced?

I am concerned that they will be removing both sides of the van to replace them as it is a major job or should we just leave them as is and come to some financial agreement possibly?
Sorry I don't have a pic until the van comes back from its service next week, then it will be booked in for the walls replacement.

Cheers David.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey David, sorry to hear mate if its noticeable and me I'd probably look at getting it fixed.

If its happened before on others it sounds like they may have done repairs like this already.

Let us know how you go.

:tea:

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I have seen it on other brands of van, it has to do with a lack of adhesive holding the panels to the frame, in extreme heat, the glue will let go and force the staple out with it, causing the bubble effect. They can fix it permanently, normally means re-cladding the van.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joanne

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Thanks @crackacoldie that is what they are going to do, but it is a little worrying what the result will be and if it will cause further problems. With Adelaides heat wave we have just had, that probably explains why we didn't notice it beforehand!!

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Our 2013 17.56-2 OB has done the same thing, if you look along the walls, its wavey all the way along. I complained, apparently they just pull it back and squeeze some more silicone in there though! I'm getting mine repaired once this summer is over. Along with my dead drifter panel!

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Hi @Peter Black Jayco have already told us they will be replacing the walls and replacing the awning with a new one with LED lighting in the barrel. But I would be concerned too if they just added more silicone like yours.

Bad news about the dead Drifter too.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yeah, mine was doing it as well, went in to have them look at it for warranty, and he said its missing the glue along the top edge,
Sikaflex and 3 new screws, all sorted

see how it looks at the end of Perth's crazy summer.
IMAG0470.jpg

was all of 5 minutes to fix - I was thinking the Alli was too long or something, but no - the glue gun wasnt spitting out enough glue that day - he had fixed "several" wouldn't say HOW many - just "several"

cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know - I spat it big time when I first saw it
but after I calmed down a little, and rang Jayco - they told me to speak to the repairers
which I did, and they said to bring it down for a look see,
when I got there, the guy took 1 look at it went "mmmm, easy - we can do either Sikaflex and more screws or you will need to wait untill April for me to be able to take the side off and re-glue the Alli and fit it properly"

Sikaflex is a wonderful addition to any tool box I think

so, yeah all sorted now, and it has not moved, and we were away for Aust Day, and you cannot even notice there was a problem

cheers

Reactions: blacky

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Well mate, that's great to know. I too was spewin! I'm waiting to have the whole thing removed and start again.

Fingers crossed its all good for you now mate!

Reactions: bigcol

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Got our van back from Australian Caravan Company in Adelaide. They fitted new awning with LED strip light and replaced bottom side panels on both sides of the van all under warranty. Happy with the work all looks good. Hopefully we wont have any more trouble with the side walls.
David.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Hi @Joanne, so glad to hear you got good service from Australian Caravan Company, we're pretty lean on choice for Jayco warranty repair workshops here in Adelaide.

Reactions: Joanne