17' Series Expanda Setup Instructions

Omar H

Jan 12, 2017
Sydney
Hello Everyone,

I'e been a big fan of this forum for a long time and was waiting till i bought an Expanda of my own before joining. I finally had the chance to upgrade from my swan to a 2010 Jayco Expanda 17.52-2.

I was wondering if anyone had some detailed instructions for setting up the Expanda as I want to ensure not to create any damage to the Expanda. The Expanda did not come with an instruction DVD and couldn't really find any relevant youtube videos aside from showing how to setup the awning and the bed ends.

What i'm really concerned with is the exact order of events to ensure i do everything in the correct sequence.

I appreciate your help in advance!

Omar

Jazdiver

May 26, 2016
Berwick
One of the Jayco dealers have an instruction guide on Youtube. It's an updated version of what l received as a DVD with my van. Think it was presented on one of the TV lifestyle shows.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
have never thought of writing a procedure or JSEA for setting up

but here goes

1) arrive at destination in a happy and joyous mood - your on holidays remember, its supposed to be fun
2) find your appropriate site, preferably without anyone else's car / bikes / tent / kids on it
3) park at your peril - reverse or drive through
good bits now
4) make sure hand brake is ON
4a) fit wheel chocks to Van wheels (one on the front side, the other on the other side at the rear of the wheel - you pick which wheel gets front / back)
5) disconnect plugs (12 pin / Anderson / camera)
6) lower jockey wheel to take weight of Van
6a) check hand brake IS on
7) unhitch van from Car - wind up jockey wheel until free from car
7a) double check that hand brake

all good?
8) un hitch chains from car
8a) move car out of the way
9) using jockey wheel, get van basically level
10) using rear stabilizer legs wind down (or drop) to position - I always put a piece of 250x250x75 block under each leg
11) do same for front
11a) NOW is when you go around winding the legs until such time as you have the Van level

you have not said if its a full height of pop top, I will go with pop top for a guess...........

part 17A

now that the Van is level, and safely secured (wheel chocks & hand brake)
walk around Van
1) un- clip all 4 corners
1a) undo any velcro straps holding awning and set the roller to "Open" on the awning
2) open door of Van - Door MUST be kept open in this stage
2a-j) empty everything out of the way for you to access the roof - chairs, annex bags, Weber, Bikes, etc
3) go to rear of Van and lift up roof - why the rear first? because thats where the mechanism for the awning is, and it will lift the roof easier if you start at that end
3a) once rear is lifted up, move to the front and do the same

the door MUST be open when lifting the roof - as it will suck in a shed load of air

same as when you put the roof down, door MUST be open, as you are expelling a shed load of air

all written with my tongue firmly in my cheek

thumbs up.png

Omar H

Jan 12, 2017
Sydney
Wow.. I really appreciate the responses!

I'm about to watch the video posted above, and thanks bigcol - your advice is very much appreciated (and heeded). Loved the tongue in cheek - but the steps were very practical.

Your guess was correct - its the popup version and you addressed some of the things I was wanted to find out... like the door must be opened when lifting the roof, and setting the awning mechanism to open before pushing the top open. Just a quick follow up.... when closing the pop top, does the awning mechanism/lock need to be set to open as well? Is there anything else I need to be wary of when closing the caravan?

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
sorry, I only just got the notification for this thread

by now @Omar H you probably watched the Vid (to be truthful, I got half way through and was starting to see ZZZzzzzz happening)

you are 50% correct about the closing of the lid,

when closing, the lock on the awning needs to be on close, and you close the front first, but before you do the back, stick your head out the door and check that the front of awning is not caught under the roof..........

some people leave the awning about 1/2 to 1/4 opened out when they are putting the roof down, as sometimes, the awning does get stuck under the roof at the front (high winds etc)

when you close the roof, just have a wander around the outside and have a look at where the clips are
some people are reporting that the roof does not come down straight,
you may have to put some of your weight behind it to force it to the road side (not annex side) just to get the lid to sit equal

my thoughts are, as long as the clips fit and dont need to be adjusted, it can sit slightly off center if it wants to

Reactions: Drover and dagree

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
I think you missed a few steps in there @bigcol. There is no mention of
  • when you should go to the fridge for the first beer (remember, this is relaxing!)
  • when you should yell at the kids for leaving the Rummikub game on the table of the van before leaving as there are now dozens of the little tiles now spread all over the van floor
  • No mention of the argument with the wife when she's guiding you back onto the site (which way IS left and right when reversing?)
I'm not sure these will help @Omar H as Col summed most of the steps up nicely, but just adding my experience :)

Daz

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
and, equally important for peace of mind.......the pack up procedure, in the reverse order.

That when we've made our biggest mistakes....

• forgetting to do up the clips...yes, the roof does raise all by itself while on a highway. Very embarrassing.
  • Forgetting to hitch up with the stabilisers raised...couldn't work out why we couldn't get van on hitch.
  • Forgetting to attach the awning tie ons properly. Yes, you can buy replacements but need to save up for them.
  • Forgetting to lock the drop down table properly. It looks damn silly hanging down when you check rear vision
  • Forgetting to double check the hitch is completely engaged. It doesn't like speed bumps.
  • Forgetting to push the step in completely. Yes, it does make a noise when it's loose.
  • Forgetting to get the rear vision mirrors extended properly. Even clear views.
and our best ....forgetting to wind down the tv aerial. It looks like a mast but isn't always easy to see in rear vision.

We've done all of the above but only once! The double walk around before leaving now covers all idiocies.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
No mention of the argument with the wife when she's guiding you back onto the site (which way IS left and right when reversing?)

did not think of using bullet points though, good call.........you can only type 3) so many times before you realist you have 10 of them

but
I thought this one covered it.................

3) park at your peril - reverse or drive through

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
and, equally important for peace of mind.......the pack up procedure, in the reverse order.

That when we've made our biggest mistakes....

• forgetting to do up the clips...yes, the roof does raise all by itself while on a highway. Very embarrassing.
  • Forgetting to hitch up with the stabilisers raised...couldn't work out why we couldn't get van on hitch.
  • Forgetting to attach the awning tie ons properly. Yes, you can buy replacements but need to save up for them.
  • Forgetting to lock the drop down table properly. It looks damn silly hanging down when you check rear vision
  • Forgetting to double check the hitch is completely engaged. It doesn't like speed bumps.
  • Forgetting to push the step in completely. Yes, it does make a noise when it's loose.
  • Forgetting to get the rear vision mirrors extended properly. Even clear views.
and our best ....forgetting to wind down the tv aerial. It looks like a mast but isn't always easy to see in rear vision.

We've done all of the above but only once! The double walk around before leaving now covers all idiocies.

I was too lazy to go there @Dobbie as poor old @Omar H asked
I was wondering if anyone had some detailed instructions for setting up the Expanda as I want to ensure not to create any damage to the Expanda.

so I couldn't be bothered

Reactions: dagree