Exterior Expanda roof struts

GrahamHolland

Oct 29, 2020
Wodonga Vic
Hi everyone,
I have a "brains trust" query regarding the roof gas struts on my Jayco Expanda. We have had the van a couple of years (second hand) and I was considering replacing the gas struts on the "pop top" as it seems to be getting harder to lift up. I noticed there are 2 different size struts fitted, the forward facing struts are around 70mm shorter than the rear facing struts. This doesn't seem right to me, and when you stand back and look closely, the canvas appears to be stretched slightly towards the rear of the van. Maybe a previous owner has installed incorrect replacements, or would this be a Jayco standard? The next thing I will need to establish is "which ones are correct" so I can order replacements. What are the thoughts of the members?
Cheers, Graham

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
My 2009 16.49 has these. All 4 are the same.
20210925_121045.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you can ID the pressure rating a number followed by "N", other numbers found on the struts may just be a certain maker. best to remove remove and measure them at full extension, if you measure while fitted you are only guessing....... I would chock up the roof, remove the struts and measure from pin to pin on roof just to confirm all the hinge points are the same, note down the pressure rating and go to my all round shop for gas struts https://www.gasstrutguys.com.au/caravan-camper-trailer/ they will certainly help you out, speak english, answer phone and emails and I have never had to return any of their gear over 20 year, good for vans , boats and cars.....

Here is how to get the mongrel things back on without busting a gut........... https://expandasdownunder.com/threads/roof-strut-refit.7473/

Oh and to take them off you need to pop the locking pin on the ball..

But if yours are just hard to move then they may just need a wipe down on the shaft and a lube on the knuckle joints, when struts are shagged they drop they don't get hard to lift usually.... The roof should be level when raised, if you have different length struts have a close look a mount may have broken and been refitted in another position, same end result but shorter or longer shaft needed... If one tore away then you couldn't fit it back easily.

Last edited:

rags

What @Drover said, the gas strut guys are great to deal with and quick to respond to enquires.
oh and I did have one new strut fail after install but again the strut guy came to the party and sent 2 replacements out for nil charge.
Easy job once you get the tie down straps positioned in the right direction

Reactions: Drover