14' Series Expanda newby

Maxmillimum

Aug 30, 2016
Melbourne
hi,
This weekend we put a deposit down on our first caravan an Expanda 2010 14:44:2hl from a private seller but we have some concerns now around the compliance plate. It appears to be hand engraved rather than stamped and when I contacted Jayco they advised the VIN did not seem to be a Jayco VIN. We did check with Vic Road and the VIN matches the rego and what is stamped on the A frame. Has anyone seen this before? Are compliance plates often replaced? We are now not sure whether to proceed with the purchase. Thanks

Reactions: The Goodwins

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Our previous 2010 14-44- had the VIN number done in welding on the chassis which made it hard to alter so I am not sure when you say "VIN matches the rego and what is stamped on the A frame " If they match with the original rego then I can't see that there is much of a problem and as to the hand engraving here is a pic of my current Jayco Plate, almost all hand engraved.
DSC_8710 2 copy.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep. Agree.

The stamping on the A frame is very freehand, to be nice about it. (I have a feeling it's the chassis number)

The rego details are what matter...if they match the stamped plate on the van you should be ok.

Maxmillimum

Aug 30, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks for your reply chartrock, this plate was totally hand engraved, including the words Jayco caravan, we spoke to a senior person at Jayco and were advised that the VIN number was never a Jayco caravan. We decided to withdraw from the sale so looks like back to trying to find another 14:44 4

Reactions: The Goodwins

Maxmillimum

Aug 30, 2016
Melbourne
I'm not sure what a REV check is....I have since seen some photos of other vans where the stamping is on the actual A frame but this van had nothing on the actual A but VIN was engraved on the the triangle plate that is wielded at the top' right near the coupling. Apparently all Jayco VINs have a letter (to identify the year) followed by 6 numbers at the end, this van just had all numbers. Anyway we were happy to walk away from the deal and now the search is on for another 14:44 4. Will keep my eyes out on this forum as some come up for sale here, plus looks like lots of great info once we get a van. Thanks