Starcraft Expanda gone, considering a Starcraft 17.58-3

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well i have just sold my faithful 14.44-4 expanda and am on the hunt for a new van. the 17.58-3 is the model we like.

Still trying to get my head around some of the quirks with this model, but in terms of value for money and ticking the right boxes, this model is the front runner for us (even though we have 3 kids).

We have a young baby at home so not in a rush to put in an order, which give me time to research everything, which i love doing.

Regarding this model, has anyone asked their dealer about a privacy screen for the front bed?

And maybe a little splash wall between the stove and main bed, nothing huge, just for extra safety. A bit like what we had between the stove and the bunks in the 14.44-4
splash wall.jpg

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Another 17.58 person maybe :) they are catching on :)
The kids pull over there bunk curtains so have not worried. We have crap on the fridge where no curtain is.
If your using the bed convertor yes can see why not sure they would factory put a curtain so close to stove . Maybe a track curtain around dinette?
We open the bunk curtains before we go to sleep to try to stop condensation

Yeah stove splash back not a bad idea although we probably will not use the stove much. You might have some problems if to close to stove heat wise depending on material used. You could maybe set something up temp and remove. For us they did not put a 240v plug on the fridge side as we where told they could not with big fridge. So our power for toaster etc comes from a powerboard connected to over the bed.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
For me i think i prefer the expanda style but they are considerably more expensive and heavier when looking at the same size, they are the two main reasons i am considering the Starcraft. Also i want to buy new, i want the warranty, so not considering second hand expandas.

So you'll just leave one of the kids at home @Moto Moto ? Or will you be sleeping in the BT? LOL

Thats the plan mate, you don't mind me dropping the 4 month old to yours for a long weekend do you? ;)

No would go the dinette converter, plus i have a few other ideas up my sleeve that i am looking into.

Reactions: relgate

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
It's funny, we started with a tent, then bought a hard floor camper, was considering a swan, but looking at all the adverts people said they were selling to Buy an Expanda, so we thought we would skip a step and look at an Expanda, but found the Starcraft in the meantime and preferred it, so we ordered one if those instead !

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The splash backs not a bad idea. Tbh we never considered asking. I had thought and discussed with SWMBO about a panel I can put in temporary when and if we cook something likely to make a mess but I was reminded that in 5 yrs of vanning we haven't done that yet! Access to the half bench over the bed is seen as more important, cause that will house the coffee machine :)

Like I have said previously Jayco are far less accommodating of variation and modifications than before.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well done on the sale @Moto Moto .
Not a betting man but I'd be tempted to put :greedy_dollars:'s on it that you get an order placed long before you are planning to ;)

Yeah its either order a new van or finish the house renovations, a bit of a no brainer for me, i know how i want to spend my weekends, and its not painting, digging, concreting etc.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
It's funny, we started with a tent, then bought a hard floor camper, was considering a swan, but looking at all the adverts people said they were selling to Buy an Expanda, so we thought we would skip a step and look at an Expanda, but found the Starcraft in the meantime and preferred it, so we ordered one if those instead !

I think i have tried every step, tent, soft floor camper, hawk, expanda..................maybe i should jump up to one of those big American 5th wheelers with in-built log fire;)

Reactions: relgate