Expanda cupboards

Teejay

Mar 3, 2012
Hi,

We picked up our new Expanda in August last year and have had some great trips in it so far :). My only prolem is the cupboards (hinges). So far we have had 3 hinges pop off and pull the screws out. We had it serviced and they fixed 1 but had to order 2 new cupboards. My husbank asked for these to be sent to us as we live a fair distance from the service place. Now I just need to wait for my husband to have the time to fix these but fear that will take a while!!! Is anyone else having this problem wth the cupboards. The lady at the repair place said it was very commom!!

Thanks

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
Hi Teejay.
thats a shame about you cupboards.The only problem we have with ours is the push button lock sticking on a couple.
Fixed under waranty.
So far no trouble with the cupboard doors and they get used quite often.
I hope you get it sorted.
Cheers jim/tab and diamond

Reactions: Teejay

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We had one of the spring loaded overhead cupboard thingies rip out, naturally it was replaced under warranty no problem.

Attachments

• 15102010260.jpg
    15102010260.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 291

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I replaced all the screws in my cupboards and drawers with ones probably only 1mm longer as soon as I picked up the van and have had no problems with them. I did this because on one of the drawers, as soon as I pushed the button to unlatch it, the whole mechanism fell in. The screws are just too short.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
We had no trouble with the hinge only the locking set up , but we did have trouble with the toilet / shower door falling off as it was fitted with ally rivets and with all the off roading weve done wore them and split the rivets in half . Now rescrewed no problems ..

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Cupboard screws

I had one pull out first time out. Screws seem way to small for the power of the springs. I replaced with bigger screws as well.

Teejay

Mar 3, 2012
Thanks eveyone for your replies. Yes it seems the screws are way to small for the power of the springs. When my husband finally gets around to fixing them I will suggest he replace the screws on all the others also!! Thanks again.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I replaced the style of hinge completely to more of a spring strut style.
Because the next problem you may find is because the spring action is soooo stiff the hinges of the cupboard start to come out.
So I got rid of them and put in a spring stut style either end of the cupboard so that when you put preasure on the door to close the cupboard, the weight is distributed evenly.

Bob Foster

Apr 20, 2015
Cleveland Q4163
Hi,

We picked up our new Expanda in August last year and have had some great trips in it so far :). My only prolem is the cupboards (hinges). So far we have had 3 hinges pop off and pull the screws out. We had it serviced and they fixed 1 but had to order 2 new cupboards. My husbank asked for these to be sent to us as we live a fair distance from the service place. Now I just need to wait for my husband to have the time to fix these but fear that will take a while!!! Is anyone else having this problem wth the cupboards. The lady at the repair place said it was very commom!!

Thanks

Bob Foster

Apr 20, 2015
Cleveland Q4163
2015 and still obviously a problem with spring loaded catches exerting too much pressure on the small hinges screwed into MDF doors. Have had two doors rip off. Am in the process of replacing springs with No 664 springs from Bunnings (takes 2 springs and 1 has to be shortened) which reduces the load but still holds doors open. Have also drilled out screw holes to 6mm and glued in dowel which are then redrilled to hold the screws (stronger than the MDF). Also had a drawer front fall off on first trip.

Reactions: 17triton

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
If only the internal linings were made of mdf. Or even a hardwood ply for that matter but no.. It is basically a softwood ply that to a weight and consistency of balsa wood. My van was accident damaged and every screw has pulled from the hole it was in.
My only fix was not longer but larger diameter.
I can't see a long term fix for this material.
Some hinges I applied a small amount of sika to.

Still not a great solution considering we are talking a softwood ply laminated in wallpaper. Done for weight not longevity.
Most panels are 13mm thick some only 9mm