Expand 14 Mods

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
Hi wanted to start a page on the mod,s that i am doing ,some of these i did a few weeks/months ago
so here we go
The first mod was to put solar on our little 14ft so mounted a 120w panel through a solar controller i have used this model a few times before on other jobs that i have done.
DSCN0371.jpg DSCN0372.jpg DSCN0373.jpg DSCN0374.jpg DSCN0375.jpg
The second photo is just a good shot from our expanda,s parking area.....
The next photo is of the the solar controller mounted under the seat with the battery.
The 3rd is a small voltage read out for the battery so i can see where the battery charge is at without having to take all the seat cushions off.

And got heaps of things to come in the next few weeks!!!!!!!

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Nice work expanda14.
Good to see some mods on the 14 series, I also have a similar battery monitor sitting on my bench waiting to be fitted. I have just spent a day fitting led lights in the cupboards and pantry to make it a bit easier to find things.
keep the post's coming
Cheers

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
Fitting the reverse camera that I have had since we got our expanda
And got pulled over for not having towing mirrors on so better put the camera on nowimage.jpg image.jpg

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
In SA the regs say that the mirrors of the Tow vehicle must protrude beyond the extremities of the towed load. I have checked with our local Law enforces who have advised me that a reverse camera is nota legal substitute for sufficient mirrors.

Cheers

Cracka

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
Lara unfortunately that is the gumby's guide to towing trailers and not the law. I really dislike it when you can only find generalised info that can be interpreted more than one way because the police are sure to interpret it the other way. I would go to the rta contact page and submit the specific question and state the width of the car and the with of the van. My guess is that you will need towing mirrors if the trailer is wider than the car.

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
Just checked the RTA website for NSW and it says on page 6
'Extra mirrors may be needed for the towing vehicle if towing a large Trailer'
The word 'may' is a bit vague.......
So would I be right in assuming that in NSW it's at the drivers discretion whether they use towing mirrors or not?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/2005_10_towingtrailers.pdf

Hi Lara when i got pulled over it was in NSW and the cop told me mirrors or a camera i had none and let me off with a warning
and got pulled over in SA for a bike that had come loose on a bike rack .
And he said nothing about mirrors ??????

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Lara unfortunately that is the gumby's guide to towing trailers and not the law. I really dislike it when you can only find generalised info that can be interpreted more than one way because the police are sure to interpret it the other way. I would go to the rta contact page and submit the specific question and state the width of the car and the with of the van. My guess is that you will need towing mirrors if the trailer is wider than the car.

Thanks Icetechaus,
Appreciate the advice. Will get onto the RTA and get a clear and definite answer.
Yep, I agree about the generalised info being unclear and open to interpretation. Very frustrating.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Lara when i got pulled over it was in NSW and the cop told me mirrors or a camera i had none and let me off with a warning
and got pulled over in SA for a bike that had come loose on a bike rack .
And he said nothing about mirrors ??????

Go figure hey. It's almost like the rules are so unknown that it depends on the cop that pulls you over and what they think. Something firm in black and white would be good. I'll be following this one up with the RTA, will keep you posted!

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
How did you install / hide the camera wiring down the back wall

Did your van come with the solar provision installed or did you have to drill your own holes in the roof for the solar cables

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
How did you install / hide the camera wiring down the back wall

Did your van come with the solar provision installed or did you have to drill your own holes in the roof for the solar cables

G day CJ
the van did not come with solar so I did a lot of home work on how to do it.
There is a jayco service agent about 2 mins from our factory and I spoke to him about it and he told me how they do it
And yes I had to drill into the roof we have been away in bad weather and its the first place I look to see if its leaking so far so good