Excited Newbie family

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
IMG_4519.JPG
Hey Everyone,

Newbie here just signed up after months of reading this site.

Quick thanks to all who have posted here as I have picked up quite a few hints and tips from you all.

We have recently picked up our first caravan, a 20.64-1 OB for my wife and 4 young girls. We are extremely happy with our van, not just because its our first but we feel that we got exactly what was needed for our family and cant yet see any reason why we might need to upgrade in the future, so this is us for a good many years to come.

The in-laws have been caravanning for years but we always stayed in Cabins for the ease of things, setting up etc. Now our girls have grown a tad older we felt the time was right to take the plunge. It has been an extremely exciting time from the beginning when we were searching for vans, (however much of a mind field it was considering my zero experience) trying to "imagine" what it would be like for our family holidays. I used plenty of members tips and ideas and checklists in order to get the final result, remember we had to set up everything for a 6 person family from scratch. It has been costly but every penny spent was with a smile knowing what great times lie ahead for us.

The new hobby has pulled us all together even tighter as we all sit and talk about what everyone wants to do and where do we want to go, so that in itself has made it all the worth while.

We use a Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow and must say that even though I was nervous about my first tow (picking it up from Watsons Port Macquarie and driving back to Sydney) within 20min I felt completely comfortable with the whole rig set up.

I have to say though the only thing that I never picked up from anywhere was how far out you have to book into sites in order to go away (family places), it seems that during school holidays if you are not booked in a year out you will struggle, all part of learning I suppose.

I will upload some photos soon, I have just picked up the annex and room extensions and plan to set it up at home on Saturday for the first time.

Anyway, its nice to join and learn form you all. Be prepared for some questions from me in the future.

P.s thanks @bigcol for the instruction, appreciate it matey.

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have never really thought about the initial cost of setting up for camping until you just mentioned it
funny that

I think alot of people (well, myself) have slowly but surely accumulated umpteen tonnes of camping equipment over the years
everything from 12V deep fryer to camp bunk beds and everything in between

at a quick guess, it would be mind boggling the cost to setup...........

Reactions: Delano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
P.s thanks @bigcol for the instruction, appreciate it matey.

who me.....................................................?

way way back, when Adam was full back for the Jerusalem Allstars, when I first acquainted myself with a computer and a forum (Merc)
no-one was that interested in assisting you on what you wanted to do
more interested in slagging you on your lack of ability (same as some caravaning forums now as a matter of fact)

everyone has to start somewhere - so sometimes I will explain how to suck eggs, when you may already know how
but its just my way

no-one is right

and more importantly

no-one is wrong

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
I have never really thought about the initial cost of setting up for camping until you just mentioned it
funny that

I think alot of people (well, myself) have slowly but surely accumulated umpteen tonnes of camping equipment over the years
everything from 12V deep fryer to camp bunk beds and everything in between

at a quick guess, it would be mind boggling the cost to setup...........

@bigcol

Hopefully we are all stocked up for now, I have no doubt along the way there will be purchases that seem good at the time but never used.

I was getting some bits ready last night for our next trip and realised that I forgot to take the new brass tap connector off when we went away, a trip back to the store it is then, and to grab some spares in case I do it again.

@bigcol, are there any other common "mistakes" that I need to be aware of moving forward?

Thanks

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@bigcol, are there any other common "mistakes" that I need to be aware of moving forward?

well, now that you mention it...............
there are NO mistakes - just learning curves

I forgot to take the new brass tap connector off when we went away,

2nd single largest thing that gets forgotten - that tap connector
have lost count of how many I have lost over the years, through a variety of reasons - getting side tracked (usually coffee) - someone else "helping" whatever...........
I carry about 5-10 of the sodding things in a variety of places - that and hose joiners

in no particular order, but all fairly important to remember

always remember to take your sense of humour with you
Rome was not burnt in a day, so everything is new and exciting - never a drag - and it all takes time
hose attachments
wheel chocks
pegs
roof clips for popups - (speaking from experience, make sure they are clipped down before you hit the Hwy.......)
black knob thingy on the awning, make sure that SOB is tight before you leave - (again, experience)
Van Keys...................(watched a couple leave once - 1/2 hour later they returned, someone had left the keys on the draw bar)..........................
Car Keys.................
watched a couple "rooting around" after they had packed up their camper once - "whats up mate", says I........
can't find keys, says he
not still in the camper are they says I (as a joke).........
Oh S^_+#^% says he,
and had to unpack the whole lot to get the keys out of where he kept them

do a bit of research about an area your going to, so you have an idea of anything you want to have a look at
(again, from experience - went to Albany about 5 times in the late 70's - before I found out about the Fort & Memorial on top of Mount Clarence - DOH)

Reactions: Bluey and Delano

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
black knob thingy on the awning, make sure that SOB is tight before you leave - (again, experience)

My experiences on our first trip two weeks ago:

1. First time setting up the annex, I span the little black thingy the wrong way half way through set up and it came off completely, I am now standing there with a twig off the floor trying to line up the internal bracket that fell out, 10 minutes and lots of cursing later job done.

2. How about forgetting to take the handbrake off when leaving, did that but luckily I was watching the van in the mirror as it came of the pitch and dealt with it. I wonder how many people do this and don't know and keep driving!!.

3.Filling the water tanks, trying to remember what the guy at delivery mentioned about the in line valve switch, what tank does what and make sure water is in the HWS before turning on. Check Check Check on all the above. So I am now sitting wondering why the water is coming back out of the inlets, I thought the tanks were full so I checked the Drifter panel that says they are still low, so then I turned the water pressure down thinking it was poor pipe work etc, same problem. Very frustrated now wondering why water was pouring out the inlets I checked the drifter panel again and still showing low, so I just turned the tap off and gave up. What the salesman did not tell me was that it obviously takes some time for the drifter panel to adjust itself as 5 min later both tanks were now full. A small chuckle to myself and away I went.

4. When unhitching the van on set up I had to take the jockey to its limits to get it off the tow ball (this is when I should have realised what was coming). After a few hours rain the jockey wheel sank into the ground a couple of inches, basically the drama of getting it on to the tow ball at pack up time means I now have something for the jockey wheel to sit on to give me that added height when needed rather than push things to there limits.

All in all I suppose this was expected for a newbie and took it all in my stride, now to make sure I don't do it again!!!!

Very good points for the rest, I have a small container of hose fitting etc, I leave the car keys and van keys in the door of the car with the window down when packing away, (I also put the kids in there with a movie on to keep them out of my way, it worked a treat).

I wonder what the next trip will bring my way, probably the handbrake again!!!!

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Finally got the chance to set up the annex, it took an just over an hour, definitely learned some things along the way. I also have an additional room called the captains quarters and a front porch but ran out of time to set them up, that will be for another day.
IMG_4602.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG
IMG_4595.JPG
IMG_4596.JPG
IMG_4599.JPG

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
well, now that you mention it...............
there are NO mistakes - just learning curves

have lost count of how many I have lost over the years, through a variety of reasons - getting side tracked (usually coffee) - someone else "helping" whatever...........
I carry about 5-10 of the sodding things in a variety of places - that and hose joiners

in no particular order, but all fairly important to remember

Rome was not burnt in a day, so everything is new and exciting - never a drag - and it all takes time
hose attachments
wheel chocks
pegs
roof clips for popups - (speaking from experience, make sure they are clipped down before you hit the Hwy.......)
Van Keys...................(watched a couple leave once - 1/2 hour later they returned, someone had left the keys on the draw bar)..........................
Car Keys.................
watched a couple "rooting around" after they had packed up their camper once - "whats up mate", says I........
can't find keys, says he
not still in the camper are they says I (as a joke).........
Oh S^_+#^% says he,
and had to unpack the whole lot to get the keys out of where he kept them

do a bit of research about an area your going to, so you have an idea of anything you want to have a look at
(again, from experience - went to Albany about 5 times in the late 70's - before I found out about the Fort & Memorial on top of Mount Clarence - DOH)

Whats the 1st?

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
1. First time setting up the annex, I span the little black thingy the wrong way half way through set up and it came off completely, I am now standing there with a twig off the floor trying to line up the internal bracket that fell out, 10 minutes and lots of cursing later job done.

O U C H

2. How about forgetting to take the handbrake off when leaving, did that but luckily I was watching the van in the mirror as it came of the pitch and dealt with it. I wonder how many people do this and don't know and keep driving!!.

I make it a habit to take hand brake off once it is attached to the Car, but before I connect wiring up and remove Jockey wheel
and
I also walk around the Car & Van a couple of times to make sure everything is correct
have been driving down the road, and realised my Mirrors are not pulled out (Clear View Mirrors)

4. When unhitching the van on set up I had to take the jockey to its limits to get it off the tow ball (this is when I should have realised what was coming). After a few hours rain the jockey wheel sank into the ground a couple of inches, basically the drama of getting it on to the tow ball at pack up time means I now have something for the jockey wheel to sit on to give me that added height when needed rather than push things to there limits.

I carry a few blocks of wood (cut to 300x300mm x 75mm thick) that I use under the legs, as well as for under the Jockey Wheel if needed
once front & rear legs are set, I put a Jack Stand under the draw bar, and remove the Jockey Wheel - goes into box on front of Van while we are camped - I know of a couple of people who have "lost" their Jockey when in a Cvan park....... so I dont leave mine out........

Reactions: dagree and Delano

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
O U C H

I make it a habit to take hand brake off once it is attached to the Car, but before I connect wiring up and remove Jockey wheel
and
I also walk around the Car & Van a couple of times to make sure everything is correct
have been driving down the road, and realised my Mirrors are not pulled out (Clear View Mirrors)

I carry a few blocks of wood (cut to 300x300mm x 75mm thick) that I use under the legs, as well as for under the Jockey Wheel if needed
once front & rear legs are set, I put a Jack Stand under the draw bar, and remove the Jockey Wheel - goes into box on front of Van while we are camped - I know of a couple of people who have "lost" their Jockey when in a Cvan park....... so I dont leave mine out........

I put a Jack Stand under the draw bar, and remove the Jockey Wheel

That sounds good to me, time to go shopping online and spend some more money ;)

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Congratulations @warren cook your setup looks awesome.

I don't call them Mistakes,

I call t learning,
if I do it again.....

Then I blame the Mrs.

You know what I reckon if we're out in our vans and we stuff things up.
Who cares..
At least we're enjoying our vans.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Congratulations @warren cook your setup looks awesome.

I don't call them Mistakes,

I call t learning,
if I do it again.....

Then I blame the Mrs.

You know what I reckon if we're out in our vans and we stuff things up.
Who cares..
At least we're enjoying our vans.

Too true @Delano

I've actually done a checklist for set up and pack down to try and prepare for "potential Learning curves" and keep things enjoyable.

Am I right in guessing that the following are the main points to consider when packing up to save paying out $$$$ in repair bills?

In no particular order;

1. Latch all doors, drawers and windows inc shower screen.
2. Close roof hatches (including the small one in the shower that is easily forgotten)
3. Wind down antenna.
4. Lock Tv Bracket.
5. Lock awning.
6. Make sure corner steadies are locked in place.
7. Close step away.
8. Turn off gas.
9. Turn hot water off.
10. Make sure basket is in washing machine.
11. Empty Toilet.
12. Make sure awning led strip light is off.
13. Once hitched make sure handbrake is off.
14. Lock fridge door.
15. Pack van correctly with weight distribution.
16. Keep Keys handy in safe place.
17. Slide out needs to be all the way.

Apart from all the other packing down items I figure these are the must DO's to save on damages, please feel free to add any others please so I can add them to the list. I am sure in time that these will all become second nature but for now its probably better for me to follow something until that happens.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
you only have set places for how high you can have it with the ratchet ones.......

if you can find the older style with the screw, easier to control whatever distance you need to set it to

Reactions: Delano