Exterior Electronic pop top lifter?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi all.

I've been doing a bit of dreaming about the ideal pop top set up as I wait on a caravan build and got to thinking about possible weight issues with lifting a pop top in my old age...not there yet, but it's a consideration.

Pop tops with extra solar panels and roof aircons will obviously be heavier to lift and to drop so I'm wondering about 12v lifters and came across a linear actuator.

I'm no engineer and have no experience in this area at all.

Has anyone any thoughts on this?

I'm now quite interested if what I have read has a current application for pop tops.

This may be another piece of information that's passed me by but I'd be interested in any comments.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey @chartrock ...you old fart!

:p

(Your terminology, not mine.)

Yep, we don't get any younger sadly....but we can resist the march of time as long as possible.

I guess I was pondering about another year gone by, the really enjoyable holidays we've had this year, the plans we're making to get away and how physically challenged I've been just cleaning up the shed. And my back is really iffy. So I thought about how we intend to keep this van as long as possible and get away as often as possible.....then I tried to second guess future issues... (stupid idea...don't recommend it)

Hence the idea of a power pop top popper!

Just wondering how many of those air lifters your pal has? I'm assuming four would be needed?

and will I run the risk of attracting a captive audience of fellow farts if I stand outside the van, undo the clips, grab a remote control and hey presto!!

I know I'd be gawking if I saw it.

But I will investigate, if not for now but for my future dotage. I'd rather be gawked at than not go camping!

:bounce:

Oh....and a Happy and Safe New Year to all.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
A mate had air lifters on his Coromal pop top when he had it, reckons they were the ducks guts as they say, though he now has a full van. Jayco's have one of the best lifter systems around compared to some other pop-tops, you would have to check to make sure they would work with that canter lever type lifter they use,

I was watching the Off Road Adventure show, they pulled up in this flash expanda style pop-top camper undone the roof clips hit the remote and up went the roof, hit the remote again and the bed end folded out also o_O

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Aargh yes.

I like it.

but would it work all the time? I'm just a tiny bit worriried that it might not operate just when I'm needing it.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm definitely going to investigate further.

It sounds like a sensible solution for possible, potential, probable back issues.

Unfortunately, we qualify.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
From my limited research....it's the same mechanism used in electric chairs, Windows, etc and is made by Lifteasy.

Goes up electronically ....and down ...and via remote control and uses four linear activators.

A side effect might be that the roof alignment might be more precise....I've yet to check that out and find out more.
(All sources of info are, strangely, closed at this time of year)

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
If the weight is the issue the gas struts that are used should be adjusted (buy new ones) so that the roof is as light as required to lift. My assumption is that Jayco should change the gas struts dependant on the options that are on the roof (or may be they don't). That way the force required should be the same. If you increase the lifting force of the gas struts you can make the roof feel lighter to lift.

Options could be:

Replace the gas struts with linear actuators (http://www.lifteasy.com/linear_actuators.htm as an example) which would raise and lower the roof based on 12V power. If no 12V you cannot move the roof. Mechanism would be on the outside.

Keep the gas struts and add actuators in parallel with gas struts (actuators do not need to lift all of the weight) would also allow some disconnect system that means that if no power or broken actuator you can lift manually and gas struts still help with lift. Mechanism would be on the outside.

Use actuators (air or electric) that lift the four corners and may be added to the internal corners of the caravan. Again keep gas struts and also allow disconnection in case of failure or no 12V.

Use two actuators (one each end) that connect to the manual lift bars and uses the normal lift mechanism to lift the roof. Need to look at mechanism and there will be a scissor type action which an actuator would be able to do. The amount of travel and force would need to be calculated and a disconnect mechanism would allow manual activation.

For all options would need to synchronise all actuators so the roof stays level and set limits so the roof does not go too high or too low.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That fits with what I've discovered so far.

and I said "activators" but really meant "actuators" and it was really just a thought that it might be a possibility in the future.

:o

anyway, I'll have a chat with them whenever I decide it might be necessary. In the meantime, I'm doing my exercises to try to avoid spending any more money on stuff that might not be needed.

I have a real aversion to over design and would much prefer to keep things as simple as possible.
I can see myself being stuck somewhere with a dodgy battery, no solar, a lost remote control and a heavier roof.

Time will tell.

o_O:(;)

sunnyoz

Feb 4, 2017
Qld
Great to come across this forum. I am a mid 60's fit and active single lady, just bought a small 11' pop top that I am doing up. BUT - when I went to see it, I watched the guy put it up. Little did I realise that I am not built like him!!
NO WAY can I lift this pop top - even up an inch. Believe me I have tried everything, until last week decided to put my muscle into it, and give it a go. Well - ended up in hospital. From always having a good back, with no problems - I could not believe the pain that shot down my back, across my shoulders, and heard a crunch. I am still suffering headaches, with blurred vision. My dr said another millimetre and I would be wearing a neck brace for 6 months. I am not allowed to life my arms above my shoulders for 6 weeks. Now I am really too scared to even touch it, so am looking at the RV airlifter options. A bit worrying about the cost - but then again the cost to my health has been huge. I cannot remember a time when I have been so sore and uncomfortable, and that's saying allot as I worked on a farm and rode horses for over 30 years.
The one thing that really shocks me is that the airlifters only have a warranty of 12 months! That seems ludicrously short. Should be at least 5 years for the cost involved. As it is not something you would use every day, that is the only thing putting me off. The cost against the amount of usage (I would only be a once a month or two tourer) is a huge scare. It is really getting down to the option of either selling it as is, and looking for a non pop-top, or paying to have it fixed.
Cannot believe this is such a problem with so many pop tops out there. How do other people manage? And believe me, I am no little weakling. Only last week I lugged around a horse float, moving it (sometimes by hand) with ramps, etc. Now I could barely move a wheel barrow!
Would welcome feedback

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Welcome @sunnyoz to this forum. i really sorry to read about the results of what should have been the start of a wonder adventure and not a medical catastrophy.

Theres a good chance the gas strutts or lifting system may need attention. Poptop roof usually have some resistance, but dont need to feel heavy.

Additional gas strutts or higher charged gas strutts may be an answer.

sunnyoz

Feb 4, 2017
Qld
Thanks - there are no gas struts on the pop top. Just cross lifts. One on each side. Looked into getting gas struts - but was told you need to at least lift the roof about 6" for it to engage the gas struts. I had a 6'3" guy, plays rugby and around 120kgs - and he too had trouble lifting it. He had to kneel on one knee, hands above his head and rise up. Not an easy task for a small mid 60's lady. Is like doing a clean weight lift jerk! Though he could manage it, he said it wasn't easy. I have now become extremely hesitant and not as 'gung-ho' as I was, to get on my journeys. I live in remote Qld - no caravan repair places for over 500kms, so not an easy task to get someone to look at it. So back to the drawing board or worst - selling.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
like @Crusty181 said, maybe the struts are on their last legs, and in need of new ones?

what sort of Van and how old?
also,
roof clips?
awning loose?

have you got a picture of the internal lifting?

welcome to the forum @sunnyoz I know it can be annoying to have to fully explain yourself ect,
but,
if you could get some photos of the whole shebang, some of the many many knowledgeable people on this site may just be able to pin point where your problem is

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yes
:welcome:

I hope you can sort it out as you need to keep camping!

More info on the pop top setup might prompt some real suggestions....and we've been playing around with the idea of those lifters as well.
We now have the van, the pop top is more difficult to raise than we're used to but it seems a heavier roof requires some sort of weightlifting stance with legs apart and all the force generated as vertically as possible.

So far, so good for us but you'll need to protect your shoulder as well so some sort of help with the lifting could be a solution.

Can you take a strong toy boy with you?

:spider:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Rieco-Titan was producing electric lift kits for the Palomino ute campers int he states a couple years back. Nothing on Rieco-Titan's website today, but they're only a email away....ask if they still make them. Could be a sellable item in Australia for all the grey nomads.

It a shame we can't get a winder type arrangement like in the Jayco campers - lift jacks in the corners. As they only need to lift less than 1/2 a meter, they could be really inventive and have dual ended units with separate controls - up for roof, down for stablisers..

edit: Palomino campers have an australian seller too, not just in the states http://www.palominorvaustralia.com.au/features/
http://www.riecotitan.com/flyers/erls_2015.pdf

Last edited:

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Hi @sunnyoz, if your van doesn't have the over centre lifters at each end, may be worth a chat with the local caravan repairer about the possibility of fitting them. I find our roof very easy to lift with the lifters, yet my Father-in-law's van is smaller but a direct push and it is very hard.

sunnyoz

Feb 4, 2017
Qld
like @Crusty181 said, maybe the struts are on their last legs, and in need of new ones?

what sort of Van and how old?
also,
roof clips?
awning loose?

have you got a picture of the internal lifting?

welcome to the forum @sunnyoz I know it can be annoying to have to fully explain yourself ect,
but,
if you could get some photos of the whole shebang, some of the many many knowledgeable people on this site may just be able to pin point where your problem is

Thanks for your help...
a) There are only cross bars on each side - not front and back
b) There are no struts on the pop top at all
c) Enclosed photo is when I did have top up. I have driven van over 500kms away to a friends place while I consider options so am unable to take any more photos. They are closer to caravan repair places if I should decide to do something. Friends exact words? - 'weighs a frigging ton!' And he is a farmer.
d) Is a 1999 Royal Flair Weekender
e) Small awning at rear
f) Roof clips - and yes, ARE unopened when trying to lift
g) Not sure what you mean by 'internal lifting' - there is nothing on the inside of the pop top for lifting - just the normal support straps

Attachments

• Pop Top.jpg
    Pop Top.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,078