18' Series Electronic brakes

Anja dunford

Jan 17, 2015
ok .. Just been told on collection we cannot legally tow our expanda without electronic braking system?
Help please
We tow big arse horse boxes weighing more!

Anja dunford

Jan 17, 2015
ok .. Just been told on collection we cannot legally tow our expanda without electronic braking system?
Help please
We tow big arse horse boxes weighing more!
And next question.. 15 amp connector adaptor to be able to run van off house mains? Best place to get one?
Thanks!

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Yes any trailer over 750kg must have brakes. All jayco's have electric brakes so you need to arrange to have one installed. They can usually arrange or any auto electrician can do. As for the 15amp lead. There really is only two ways to go. 1) have a sparky install a dedicated 15amp socket near your van or 2) look at something like the Ampfibian. http://ampfibian.com.au
No affiliation but have one.

BJ.

Reactions: Anja dunford

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep, all Jayco vans have electric brakes, even though by law if they weigh under 2000kg they can get away with mechanical brakes, either cable operated or hydraulic over-rides (which I suspect your horse float has).

You will need an electric brake controller installed into the tow vehicle to operate the brakes on your van. This should have been pointed out to you by the dealer long before pickup.

I just bought one of these, this will allow you to connect the van to the house via a standard 10A outlet.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMPFIBIA...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ae326fe0f

Anja dunford

Jan 17, 2015
Thanks!
Yes collection was an epic failure all round!
No mention of electric brakes "thingy" till we were about to hitch up as well as being told to just bring the car in to have electric pun changed ( no mention of cost) to be slugged with a bill! in the end they paid for the plug change and we will arrange the brakes soon! They did also deliver the caravan home for us so not bad service all told.
Will sort the plug adaptor. Just useful to plug in at home if we have guests using it.
It has solar so not the end of the world
Many thanks again!!

Reactions: bigcol

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I find the Ampfibian a good investment as when we take the van to relies we can simply plug into a standard power point. We have solar as well, but sometimes the 240 is needed as a top up.

BJ.

Anja dunford

Jan 17, 2015
So had a look on good old eBay for electronic braking. Is there anything imparticular we need to look for? Not going off road.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you go to an auto shop, Repco etc and ask about electric brake kits they will show you a range of units from about $95 to a couple of hundred, Tekonsha P3 or the rebranded units are reasonably economical and perform well but you want a unit that works from the drivers position not a trailer mounted unit they are rubbish.
If you search on here you will find a heap of info.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
It really comes down to 2 choices in my opinion.
Either the Tekonsha P2 or P3 (the P3 being the newer one with more bells and whistles), or the Redarc tow pro.

I have the P3 and it works seemlessly and it is hidden away when not in use.
If you are limited for space to mount the P2 or P3 then the Redarc unit is very unobtrusive, just a small hole in the dash somewhere.
You can buy either on ebay for a good price and then they are only 4 wires to connect, otherwise any competent auto elec can fit it, but ring around for installation costs, it can vary wildly.
Good luck.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Also take care if wiring it up yourself...... READ the instructions!!!!!!
They are wired to USA standards (Black = positive and White = negative).

The son in law helped when I was swapping our Teckonsha P2 from the Pajero to the Prado. Hooked the battery up and blew a fuse. Realised straight away what had happened (Black to negative) so fixed wiring, replaced fuse, reconnected battery and nothing!!!!!!

So off to the local and back home with a P3 to fit!