Electrical Electrical lights issue

AJ1979

Apr 3, 2023
NW WA
Hi,

weird thing happening, I've had my car 2021 Nissan Navara cabled as per the Jayco 12pin layout, originally it was factory fitted 7pin.

All connections are good, and extra feeds ran for the fridge and battery.

My issue is when I have my car lights turned off the Caravan indicators and brakes lights work, although the high level running lights do not?

But if the car lights are set to auto or permanently selected as on the lights on the caravan (indicators, brakes and high level travel lights) don't work????

All worked fine on my old car

Where does the caravan get the switched feed for the high level running lights, does anyone have any wiring plans for 17.56.2 2020 Expanda?

Any idea where I start with this?

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Grab a multi meter and check to see what pins do what on your van and tugs 12pin plugs, especially check pin #2 and 11, the Jayco version isn't the standard wiring set up they use #2 as the battery charging line which in the standard set up is Reversing lights also check what circuit the breaksafe is using either one of these can throw lighting problems.......

1680501930406.png
standard.................................................
1680502121816.png
jayco

Reactions: Boots in Action

AJ1979

Apr 3, 2023
NW WA
Pin2 is new and ran from the vehicle battery - getting 12v through on this one once ignition is running.

Pin11 has nothing connected

The RedArc unit is connected through to Pin5 and appears operational

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
Would do the basic wiring checks as mentioned particular the earth. Not sure on your navara but you may need a "module" fitted to the cars wiring harness. Did an auto electrician do the work? In a lot of cars with canbus its needed as lights will do all sorts of crazy things with no logic. The problems you have may have highlighted with the change

AJ1979

Apr 3, 2023
NW WA
It was a Nissan factory/dealer fitted 7pin. Would it have been needed and fitted for that? The Navara is model year 2020

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Pins 1-4-6-7 are for the various lights, clearance/tail lights run off #7, they will only come on when headlights selected, check pin #3 for a decent earth and make sure it is..

Start off with testing the tug plug, use pin #3 as your ground, test pin#2, turn on ignition it should activate and show 13v or something the other pins should be off, if it doesn't show anything but comes on when you select reverse then there's your fault..................... #2 all good then turn on headlights test #7 it should be active, push brake pedal #6 should come on, if they all check out including the #3 earth pin then the tug looks okay, remove the cover and make sure the connections are clean and not hairy same for van plug.

Ideally I test the van plug by using a small jumper lead to supply 12v to the pins I want to check, go thru the lights, if they are all working on van then plug in the tug and see what happens as a dodgy light can show a short and tug ECU will shut the circuit down or go weird, if it still persists try removing a couple of side lights and see what happens as sometimes the load required by the van lights will be more than the tug is happy to supply....

I'm assuming all the van lights are led, if they are globes then swap them out for leds as that could be the problem... On my Jeep the lights went hay wire and I had assumed it had led side lights but on inspection I found they were tiny globes, once changed to leds the problems went away, its all a matter of testing things in steps.... until I got some leds I just pulled a couple of clearance lights out which dropped the power demand and the ECU was happy.

Also check the breaksafe charge circuit hasn't been changed as it will throw current back to tug and can cause mayhem as well.... Don't assume what you were told was done, happened or rely on a cables colour, only the display on the meter will show if correct or not.

Reactions: Boots in Action