14' Series Electric shock

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
I've just returned from a weekend away off grid, and now when plugged into 240v any screw I brush past I'm getting a tingle off, also the frame under. I've done a search of the forum and could only find one issue from Kegs and I've PM'd him.

Prior to the trip away I installed a battery, having to remove the setec to get to the connectors as no wires were there. It was a last minute trip and the first off grid, so I also got a power inverter, which i had to run a grounding wire to (drilled hole through chassis). Both worked well over the weekend.

With the 240v off, and running off battery, no shocks, plug 240v in get shocks, remove battery and get shocks.....I've even taken the battery fuse from the setec....

Any assistance is appreciated

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Further to the above, if I'm standing outside the van and touch the screws in the door frame latches, get shock, if standing In the van and touch same screws, no shock......

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Further to the above, if I'm standing outside the van and touch the screws in the door frame latches, get shock, if standing In the van and touch same screws, no shock......

I'm no expert with this but it sounds like a grounding issue to me. How are you connecting power to the van? Is there an RCD in the van or on the connecting circuit?

Reactions: Cootay

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
So four hours later, ensuring all ground wires are in tact and tightened under the van (after disconnecting the power), pulling the external covers off the fridge vents and checking all that wiring, then thanks to relegates post I then went and tested the trip thing (is that what you call the rcd). Not sure what it was if any of the things I did above but there is no more shocks.....
Would of preferred to know what it was, but glad it's gone.....

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Good to hear it's gone, I would recommend you have a local electrician check the electrics over just to make sure the fault is gone. They should also be able to test the RCD on your ampfibian is working correctly.

Drewy

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
How many shocks have you had , you should get to a hospital and get checked out electric shock even little ones can be trouble even days later as they change your blood structure . be sure not sorry mate

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Tripping the RCD should not remove any fault as it doesn't have a reference to earth. As an electrician mate I would get it checked out to make sure there is nothing developing. Also agree with stormpatrol. Go and get an ECG to ensure you haven't upset the rhythm of you heart. I have to many stories of people getting "tingles" and dying days later.